• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Injury after MEPS?

I crashed on my bicycle a few weeks after I went to MEPS and fractured my collar bone. It was a pretty clean break with no loose fragments and no surgery was required. It healed up quickly and I have full use of my arm and shoulder. While there's no visual indication of there ever being a fracture, you can feel a slight bump if you run your hand across the area.

The day after the crash happened, I called my OR to tell him what happened. He asked if I was going to need surgery, I told him no, he said good and that was the end of the conversation. This was at the end of March of this year.

I was PRO REC Y for the 24 Aug SWO board and I'm starting to sweat the small stuff before I go to OCS. I know they have another medical check there and I would hate for a situation to come up that would cause any problems because of this. Should I insist my OR send me to MEPS again so this is already documented or should I just keep my mouth shut?

exNavyOffRec

yeah, there is more needed, you need to submit ALL medical documents related to this, you will be required to disclose this at OCS and if there is no mention anywhere in your file or submitting additional documents then this could be considered a fraudulent enlistment.

He probably didn't ask you for anything as if he rec'd documents he would need to submit them to N3M, they would have TNPQ'd you for 6 months which means you would not have been able to go to board.

This is a simple item that could blow up into something big.

On a related note Off Rec, is there anything else you've seen come up with any frequency that might get overlooked by a newer recruiter, but that needs to be addressed directly?

So should I go straight to the ortho who treated me and just get all related docs along with something saying I'm all good and just hand them over to my OR? Will this cause a delay in my FINSEL or even potentially effect my PRO REC?

Just an update:

Brought all the medical history of the broken collar bone (including a letter from the treating Dr. stating I'm at full health) to my recruiter yesterday and he scanned and emailed it to the person who sends it to N3M in order to get a new PQ letter. We're hoping they just issue a new letter and that's the end of it but my OR wasn't able to say for certain if the dates would cause some issues since the injury happened after MEPS but well before the board that I was selected in. Turns out the person in charge of sending them to N3M is on leave for the next week so I won't find out anything for about 2 weeks. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!

Anyone have any input in the mean time?

mb1685

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have a similar question.

What about very minor surgeries after being PQ'd by N3M? Specifically, I've had a septoplasty and a mole removed since then. The NAMI waiver guide states that septoplasty requires no waiver and says that pathology reports should be submitted for anything removed from the body within a certain timeframe. I asked my recruiter and he didn't think these would be issues, and I spoke with a NAMI doctor about the septoplasty and he didn't indicate it would interfere with the already-issued N3M PQ, but I'm paranoid.

exNavyOffRec

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have a similar question.

What about very minor surgeries after being PQ'd by N3M? Specifically, I've had a septoplasty and a mole removed since then. The NAMI waiver guide states that septoplasty requires no waiver and says that pathology reports should be submitted for anything removed from the body within a certain timeframe. I asked my recruiter and he didn't think these would be issues, and I spoke with a NAMI doctor about the septoplasty and he didn't indicate it would interfere with the already-issued N3M PQ, but I'm paranoid.

you will have to fill out a change of status questionnaire, any contact with a doctor needs to be disclosed, failure to do so could later on be consider fraudulent enlistment.

mb1685

you will have to fill out a change of status questionnaire, any contact with a doctor needs to be disclosed, failure to do so could later on be consider fraudulent enlistment.

I'm glad I asked, thank you for the info!

Hi, my application is in for the May 18th board, and I've been having some noticable pain in my knee during and after runs. It was bad enough that I went to an orthopaedist to get it checked out. He told me that it could be ITB syndrome or a meniscus tear which really worries me. I have an MRI scheduled next Tuesday to find out for sure. If I end up needing surgery for a meniscus tear what will happen? What will I have to do? Will I have to go back to MEPS and wait on another board?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi, my application is in for the May 18th board, and I've been having some noticable pain in my knee during and after runs. It was bad enough that I went to an orthopaedist to get it checked out. He told me that it could be ITB syndrome or a meniscus tear which really worries me. I have an MRI scheduled next Tuesday to find out for sure. If I end up needing surgery for a meniscus tear what will happen? What will I have to do? Will I have to go back to MEPS and wait on another board?

If you get any sort of surgery yes you will need to get an inspect physical at MEPS and a new N3M letter will need to be generated. By the way, what did your recruiter say when you asked this question.

If you get any sort of surgery yes you will need to get an inspect physical at MEPS and a new N3M letter will need to be generated. By the way, what did your recruiter say when you asked this question.

I haven't asked him yet. I was going to wait and see if needed surgery. Should I go ahead and let him know?