• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Injuries while on BDCP

Boomer91

I am curious to know if anyone has ever experienced an injury while on BDCP. I have no history of shoulder problems but have recently been experiencing some minor shoulder issues. I lifted weights for a while and am now starting to feel some possible rotator cuff problems. I don't think it's torn (maybe a little but still have good mobility and stregth). I was wondering if anyone knew what types of injuries will get you dropped from BDCP and how willing the Navy is to work with you to keep you in the program. I have just under two years left in school and will have plenty of time to recover if it turns out to be somewhat serious. Any knowledge on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I had similar minor/moderate shoulder pains after lifting while in BDCP. I took Glucosamine and Chondroitin for a couple months daily and took a break from lifting. You should be fine, if it's minor pain. If you feel like it's serious enough to see a doc, don't delay.

Boomer91

What were your symptoms otto? My shoulder cracks and pops quite a bit. The discomfort really happens on dumbell bench press like if I go too heavy and down a bit far. I still have full range of motion but a little tightness and discomfort. It feels like my shoulder is alright, but has the potential to go if I continued. What do those two things you took do?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was almost positive (without seeing a doc) that I had strained my rotator cuff. It hurt to do any motion which involved the RC: lifting my arms up, especially sideways away from my body, and also motions like bench press etc. The absolute WORST pain (and I think probably the cause of the strain) was the shoulder press motion. I believe I first pulled it when setting a new PR on the shoulder press machine (NEVER use machines, they suck) and I just dropped the weight when my shoulder gave out.

It hurt for days after and it would always re-emerge the next lifting session after it got better. I gave up lifting for a while and took the supplement that I told you above. My shoulder still clicks when moving a certain way but I lift now with no pain.

Just BE CAREFUL. If it hurts a lot, see a doc.

Boomer91

Yeah the pain isn't that bad. Just some discomfort and tightness (along with some popping). I have full range of motion and if you put both of my arms out in front of me I would be able to provide equal resistance if you pressed down on both arms at the same time. I am going to take it easy for a while and look into those supplements that you talked about. I just want to take preventative measures so I really don't end up with serious problems down the road.

Lobster

I had some shoulder pain last summer while training as well. Not sure if it was as bad as yours but my doc told me to take aleve in the morning and see if that helped. I did and I was fine and my shoulder is good to go for now (not sure how it will be 20 years down the road haha). Give that a shot if you don't think its too bad.

nugget81

pilot
I went to school with a guy who busted his knee about a month before he was to ship off to OCS. The recruiter wasn't happy, but the date got pushed back, the guy healed up, and is now a winged aviator. Work with your recruiter and see the doctors if necessary.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
I went to school with a guy who busted his knee about a month before he was to ship off to OCS. The recruiter wasn't happy, but the date got pushed back, the guy healed up, and is now a winged aviator. Work with your recruiter and see the doctors if necessary.

He was med down for a year, so it delayed his OCS date that long, so I wouldn't worry in your situation

Lobster

Makes sense though if he was BDCP, they've already invested money in you. They didn't pay him the whole time while he was delayed and recovering did they?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
My understanding is that BDCP makes you an active duty Sailor. If so, you are fully covered by the active duty medical benefits as well as all the rules and regulations pertaining to medical issues.

So worst case if your injury is permanently disqualifying and "in the line of duty" (for simplicity sake - not the result of an illegal activity), then the very worst that can happen is you get a medical discharge with all your veteran's benefits to include any follow-on medical treatment your injury requires.

I wonder if there are any medically retired BDCPers out there? It could happen....bad care acident putting you in a wheel chair, etc.

Lobster

So there is no penalty for going beyond the 24 or 36 month contract? It seems like if you went over that they wouldn't pay you.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
In BDCP you are in the Naval Reserve and considered active duty. The month limit is for the application. You only truly understand once you are in the Navy how hard it is to get out before your contract is up. I agree with HAL on this. They can't just throw you away. Sure a recruiter will be mad that you're not going to your OCS class because he's probably going to catch some heat.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Makes sense though if he was BDCP, they've already invested money in you. They didn't pay him the whole time while he was delayed and recovering did they?

Of course they did! He had a healthy bank account after a year of living with his parents and doing nothing while rehabbing his knee.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I messed my shoulder up pretty bad about a month before OCS... a little recreational sight seeing in a place I shouldn't have been... I sucked it up, went to OCS and managed to stay with my first class for 3 weeks before I was off to H for 9 weeks of physical therapy.

I'd say, don't go to OCS in less than perfect condition. I would have much rather spent the time w/ my friends and family at home getting better, vice H class.