• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

injuries during OCS

Carno

Insane
They'll tell you everything you need to know when you get there.

Just don't call a MGySgt a GySgt or something stupid like that.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Carno said:
They'll tell you everything you need to know when you get there.

Just don't call a MGySgt a GySgt or something stupid like that.

At OCS, I called one black DI by another black DI's name.

"What's the matter candidate, do all us giant black men look the same to you?!?"

Fortunately, pushups and 8-count body builders solve all misunderstandings at Navy OCS. There are no essays and you can't really get kicked out.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
pdx said:
At OCS, I called one black DI by another black DI's name.

"What's the matter candidate, do all us giant black men look the same to you?!?"

Fortunately, pushups and 8-count body builders solve all misunderstandings at Navy OCS. There are no essays and you can't really get kicked out.

Saw that one happen at Marine OCS. The candidate got about the same response from the SI. Silly candidates! :p

maineiac515

OCC 193
I was told by my OSO that if you are unsure of a staff's rank to always promote them. If you mess up, they'll be mad but not as much as if you assign them a lower rank. Is this true, or is it the way I think it is, with any mistake costing dearly?

I cannot wait until Oct. 8th, perhaps I am crazy.... hahaha

Carno

Insane
That's where you run into calling a MGySgt a Gunny. When I was at OCS candidates would just call everyone Gunny if they couldn't make out their rank. I always tried to delay my greeting until I was sure which rank they were, but sometimes I'd delay it too long and they'd yell at me before I got a chance to greet them.

Whatever though, you're going to get shat on at OCS no matter what, so don't take it too seriously.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
If you mess it up, you're going to get yelled at.

If you do it perfectly, you're going to get yelled at for something else.

Final result, getting yelled at. Push through it, work hard, and you'll do fine. Good luck.

corpsocgmu

Marine Officer
pilot
Stress fracture = going home, no questions asked, no matter how minor.

s/f

I'd say generally that is true. However, there is an exception to every rule. I went through PLC-Srs in the summer of 2005 and had a friend in the platoon who was diagnosed with a stress fracture just before the end of week 3. I don't know who made the call, but he was allowed to stay and train and graduated with the rest of the platoon. Granted, he succeeded in creating a number of other fractures and has to wear an orthotic for the rest of his life, but he is now an officer in the Marine Corps. Just goes to show, not every injury will get you sent home.

The rule of thumb when I was training at OCS was that it had to be either a very grievous injury (see openbah's story) or something that prevents you from training. For some people, a stress fracture takes them out of the game. Evidently, others can train through it.

If you're in pain, ask yourself this: Am I hurting or am I injured? If you're just hurting, look around the squadbay: everyone is in pain. If you're injured, try to get yourself taken care of early enough that you can continue training. Just don't become a sick-call commando (going to medical for every little thing). The Marines and candidates around you will take note and that is bad news.

S/F

plc67

pilot
I went through Jr PLCs(I-3) in 1967 and Senior PLCs in 1969(E-1) and don't recall there being a lot of injuries but Quantico sounds more physically demanding now.
On the flip side the Platoon Sergeants and Sergeant Instructors didn't hesitate to hold thump call on you in Jrs. Didn't see anyone get hands on counselling at Srs.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I went through Combined (B/2 92) and our attrition rate was close to 75% in my platoon. Mostly for injuries and DORs. There was 1 integrity case and a couple of leadership cases, but mainly in was a race to finish before you got seriously hurt.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I went through Combined (B/2 92) and our attrition rate was close to 75% in my platoon. Mostly for injuries and DORs. There was 1 integrity case and a couple of leadership cases, but mainly in was a race to finish before you got seriously hurt.

Was this under Col. Wesley Fox? I heard that it peaked at 80% under him.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Was this under Col. Wesley Fox? I heard that it peaked at 80% under him.

Bingo. He is a great American, Medal of Honor recipient, and definitely harder than chicken lips.

I think his attrition rate (along with a couple of lawsuits and his non-PC attitude) cost him a star.

Lawman

None
Bingo. He is a great American, Medal of Honor recipient, and definitely harder than chicken lips.

I think his attrition rate (along with a couple of lawsuits and his non-PC attitude) cost him a star.

Col. Chase ran out something like 60-65% under his first group of classes. However the first summer group of Echo and Gulf managed to get through with 70% of the original members (this being two senior groups which are kinda differnt). Right now Alpha is down into the 70% and Charlie is down in the 60% range. Im one of the Alpha NPQ's. Our platoon was the largest on deck till this week with 48 when I left. They informed us they were looking to get rid of at least 8 or 9 more people before I was dropped.

Main thing about injury is if you can deal do it but if your broke get it fixed. You need to save your sick days because you only have so many to burn before they auto drop you for failure to evaluate. Me I burned up light duty days early for a knee sprain which didnt help me here but because of what I did now those two days wouldnt have mattered. I know a guy in Charlie right now that only has one or two days left he can go on light duty before he hits the drop point. With combined the word was if you passed all the timed PT events like O-course, Endurance, and the CRT with passing times and completed SULE II with a passing score you could be in a wheel chair after that and they would try to graduate you so long as you didnt just give up. Even though you'd hit about 12-14 days of light duty if you went all the way to graduation broken.