• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Injured my Wrist

afallan

Hello,

I am scheduled for the September OCS class, but about 4 weeks ago I fell of my bicycle head first and landed on my left wrist. I went to the doctors the following morning and they did x-rays and found nothing broken or fractured. They told me it's just a sprain. Right now it's doing better, but it hurts when I try to do push ups. Also, it's not as flexible as it was.

What I want to know is has anyone ever been rescheduled to attend the following class because of an injury? I contacted the recruiting office which I report to and they said "bad things" can happen if I'm not ready. They said there's a chance I can be rescheduled to ship out or they can just drop me from the program. I don't want any of those to happen.

I have a good three weeks before I'm ready to go and I hope it heals enough where I can be ready.

Thanks,
afallan

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Captain Ron got his class postponed for a wrist surgery. Here is what you need to do:

1. Tell your recruiter (chain of command) about your wrist. You will probably need to get a letter from the doc you saw and get it sent to your recruiter.
2. Keep your recruiter in the loop about progress with your wrist.
3. If for some reason your wrist is not healed in the coming days before OCS, make a passionate plea to get pushed back. If you show up to OCS injured, you will roll, your stay will be much, much longer than 12 weeks and you could jeopardize finishing OCS at all.

The injury was an accident and does not reflect badly on you (well, some proper PPE and an ORM matrix used to alleviate any possible risks may have prevented this...). If you need to get pushed back for a later class date the world will not end. You may get a talking to by your recruiter but your contract will not be torn up. Don't risk your chances at getting commissioned.

afallan

Thanks a lot Tom. I've been updating my recruiter with my condition weekly. I could say my condition has improved from last week. I'm able to do push ups with less pain, but the pain is still there. I'd prefer to go at a later date than go injured so if it comes down to that, I'll tell my Recruiting Officer if my condition does not improve.

Thanks,
afallan

Nikki2184

Don't go to OCS with an injury if at all possible. There just ins't enough down time to recover and with all the beatings, the risk or re-injuring it is pretty high. And if it hurts at OCS, you'll just have to push through the pain or DOR. Neither are a good option. Your recruiter can push back your class at least once without reflecting poorly on you.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
If you are injured and get put med down to go to H class until you are med up and can pass a PRT. At OCS you want to push through muscle pain, but injury pain is another thing. I have known people to have gone to the point where they NPQ themselves at OCS. If your throat hurts at OCS don't go to medical. I have also known a person to go through OCS with mono. Mono!

Don't show up to OCS injured. Period. As for getting pushed back some classes and having it look badly on you, that is simply stupid. You are nothing, you have you quals and you have been nowhere. What reputation are you worried about in your NRD? You messed up? Yeah, your recruiter may bitch at you and he may get bitched at, but don't set yourself up for failure.

afallan

I went to an Orthopedic doctor yesterday and found out my "sprain" is actually and Ulnar Styloid Fracture. The doctor said it's nothing major and should heal itself in 6-10 weeks. Also the past two weeks I've been able to do regular push ups comfortably. I took a PRT today and did 92 push ups and my wrist didn't bother me. Again the only thing that bothers me is that I can't do diamond push ups or completely supinate my wrist without some pain.

Would this fracture have any repercussions like being dropped before even going to OCS?

afallan