• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Initial Flight Gear Issue

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just get some Oakleys

As someone who wears Oakleys day to day, they're not great when wearing ear protection and tend to both allow a lot more noise in as well as get uncomfortable over time. I still fly with metal frames for this reason.

I've actually be recycling my issued frames (both Randolphs) the last few months. I wear a non-prescription sunglass for civilian flying during the day and a prescription clear glass frame for work (which now I just wear at night). I used to think the issue frames were cheap, but the last couple I got before retiring are actually pretty nice and have been very robust.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None

I like these way better than Knockarounds as daily wear, beat em up sunglasses. They have a slightly wider fit than the knockarounds, which I like because the knocks pinch too much. They also have a sligthly rubber textture to them which helps when exercising. I picked up an all black pair for uniform wear, and a mirrored lens for casual use (usually playing baseball or the beach). All are polarized which is nice.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
I’ve become partial to blenders for daily “beat up” pair. Sturdy, good lens quality comparable to ray bans, inexpensive if you leave them on the o’club bar. I’ve had a few of their different models, and I’ve been happy with them all. Was briefing with a flight lead the other day and noticed they were rocking these too, and we both agreed they’re great bang for the buck.

https://www.blenderseyewear.com/collections/all-mens/products/spider-jet

0621 Hertz

I just realized why the Randolph Sunglasses we get issued look so daggone awful on most people. They are the 52mm version, they come in 58mm like what aviators should be. But the guy at issue insisted they were "one size fits all"

Usually I wear my Kaenons. They're a little pricey (you can get them discounted on GovX) but they have lifetime warranty on their polarized lenses. I've had the same pair for about 6 years and I already made my money back on them.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I just realized why the Randolph Sunglasses we get issued look so daggone awful on most people. They are the 52mm version, they come in 58mm like what aviators should be. But the guy at issue insisted they were "one size fits all"

Usually I wear my Kaenons. They're a little pricey (you can get them discounted on GovX) but they have lifetime warranty on their polarized lenses. I've had the same pair for about 6 years and I already made my money back on them.
The 52mm are de rigueur to fit under helmets - and has been standard issued size for decades. Small lens size yes but its the traditional look.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I picked up some 60$ AOs in the style of black aviators from the Corry Station Nex almost 2 years ago. If I hadn't dropped them many times or carelessly shoved them in pockets they would still be good as new. Lenses were tough and the hinges haven't bent or tightened up.
AO...or Rothco, are standard issue. They are good solid glasses that meet the standard and they are affordable.

RoarkJr.

I just sent my 52mm back to Randolph for exchange with 55mm. A buddy of mine did the same so I took the opportunity. Not sure if they look any better or not yet...I wonder if I could have gotten the gold ones though.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
I just sent my 52mm back to Randolph for exchange with 55mm. A buddy of mine did the same so I took the opportunity. Not sure if they look any better or not yet...I wonder if I could have gotten the gold ones though.

Interesting, let me know how that works out...

RoarkJr.

Easy enough, what was the number? If you're inclined to enable my laziness.

I'll go for the gold ones just for kicks.

I don’t remember, should be the number to their corporate office from the website. They’ll have you send them back with a note explaining what you want and your contact/mailing information. If you get gold lmk please. Lol.

Meyerkord

pilot
Damn I didn't know this was a thing you could do. Mine are fairly small but I've been repping them as a backup pair for a while now. Think they'll swap a used pair?

RoarkJr.

Damn I didn't know this was a thing you could do. Mine are fairly small but I've been repping them as a backup pair for a while now. Think they'll swap a used pair?

Always worth a shot. Probably better odds if you have the case/box.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I wonder if they have a scratched lens replacement service. Will be looking into it once I get back to the states.