• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Initial Clothing Allowance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SG

fyi...

My wife received an Initial Clothing Allowance when she first started getting paid for BDCP in April 2001. She questioned it since she's prior enlisted but the NRD told her that everyone in BDCP got it.

Well, that was the same Clothing Allowance that should have been paid at OCS instead of while in BDCP so now we have to suck it up and stroke a check for her OCS uniforms when she graduates.

Just a heads-up for anyone else in BDCP that might have already receive a clothing allowance.

mstock79

I have been in BDCP since 27SEP2001 and have not gotten a clothing allowance. Not sure if that is normal or not? I don't wear a uniform so I would assume that I would not recieve allowance for that. Take Care-- Mike

jaerose

My buddy, D_Mac (forum user name), and I received clothing allowances in BDCP and I believe we get a little extra cash every year. He'll check later and I'm sure he'll reply and set me straight. I just don't quite remember.

JR

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Yes,

Only once a year, we get extra cash (I thought it was a couple hundred of dollars). However, I was NOT aware that this is supposed to be used for our uniforms when we get to OCS. I was wondering why we were getting clothing allowances for "nothing"....

D

solenita72

SWO Wife
No, my hubby was BDCP and he got a few hundred extra around October each year, I guess because you are considered "enlisted". What SG is talking about is the $1197 lump sum. You should not get that until reporting to OCS.

emart69

If anybody else knows for sure on this it would be great. I am BDCP and just received a $300 clothing allowance this month. I will be going to OCS at the end of May and am counting on the allowance there to help pay for uniforms. Just wondering so I can stick this aside and save it for uniforms if need to. Also I got about the same about this time last year as well

Eric Martens

solenita72

SWO Wife
Just FYI, you should probably stick it away reguardless, because the uniform allowance they give you DOES NOT cover it all. We owe about another grand on top of the $1197 uniform allowance!!

emart69

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. Do you just run a tab and pay everything up at the end or do they have credit to pay it all off.

solenita72

SWO Wife
Both. You run a tab during, and then before you check out in the end you have to at least write a check for the $1197, then you can finance the remainder at no interest.

version2point0

crazy. ive been in the BDCP getting the monthly clothing allowance as outlined in the DFAS. its only like 100 extra bucks a month. i didnt even know about this extra $1000 you all are talking about. i have to move from california to florida for OCS and im going to sell my car to do it. my car is enough to pay my moving expenses. i want a new car anyways, so i just figured a new town = a new car :) anyhoo, it sounds like i need to start saving a little more for uniforms as well!

-v2.0

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Solenita, out of curiousity, did your husband opt for the "tailored" Abott's uniforms? That in itself would drive your costs up. I know some fellow NROTC graduates, and friends that went through OCS that got uniforms from there, and literally were paying that bill off forever.

solenita72

SWO Wife
Nope....he went NEX all the way...he thought that the Abott's uniforms were not good quality...he later found out that he had made a good choice because alot of guys had problems with them. He checked out paying the $1197 and he still owed $950 that we are still paying off.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ouch... I am glad I purchased the minimum uniforms rqd when I went through NSI and NROTC, I have not had the need to use anything over the last 4 years, mostly in the bag or khakis. Though I have worn the SDBs (once), and whites and chokers occasionally.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry to dig up an old post here, but does anyone in BDCP still get a clothing allowance? I've been in since last July. My paychecks were all screwed up and I didn't get any money for several months. Unless a clothing allowance was lumped together in my first 2 (way bigger) checks, I have not ever received a clothing allowance. Just wanted to see what the rest of yall are getting.

solenita72

SWO Wife
The way it was when my husband went through BDCP (considered enlisted) he got a clothing allowance every year around October of a few hundred dollars. He never got anything monthly. After checking in to OCS was when he got the large sum of $1197.

Status
Not open for further replies.