• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Information on the E6 community

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
LO281OK said:
Who is selecting Tacamos right now? Do you have to be #1 in your class? Is there a NSS minimum/requirement? The catch-22 lately is that if you shoot for a high NSS, for Jets or a better shot at gettting what you want, you may get stuck in E2/C2s, even without putting it on your list or putting it last. (Happened to a guy with a 59.9NSS here last week).

Thanks in advance...

Fly-Navy

They should be so lucky to fly C-2's. Getting E-2/C-2 may seem like the shaft but if a lucky aviator gets C-2's, it's very much worth it in the end. I'll agree getting E-2's is the shaft though :D

DairyCreamer

May I politely ask what C-2 drivers do while the boat is in the middle of the Atlantic? I mean, if there's inter-carrier stuff that needs to be transported, I suppose that's one task. It would be a mighty long flight in a turboprop to transit the pond halfway, with lots of refueling I'm sure.

Like I said, just curious.

I'm all about the glory of jets and all, but if it comes down to selection time (if/when I get to that point, of course ;) ), I'd be tickled pink to have a E-2 or C-2 to blast around in. I've got a thing for turboprops, and I'd still get all the excitement of cat shots and traps. Oh well, the best laid plans will probably get tossed by the needs of the Navy anyway, and I'll end up beating up the air over the deck to hover around the boat in a chopper. Meh... gotta get Pro-Rec'd first! :icon_smil

Ahhhhh.... :tongue2_1

~Nate

bunk22 said:
They should be so lucky to fly C-2's. Getting E-2/C-2 may seem like the shaft but if a lucky aviator gets C-2's, it's very much worth it in the end. I'll agree getting E-2's is the shaft though :D

Agent00JP

The "shaft" part is when your list looks something like this...

1. Jets Kingsville
2. Jets Meridian
3. Props
4. Helos

(cuz from what I can tell you only list four)

and you have a 59 NSS, yet you get stuck with E2/C2 (not on your list) while a guy with a 49 gets P-3s. But you qualify to land on the boat and s/he doesn't, so the navy "needs" you.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
DairyCreamer said:
May I politely ask what C-2 drivers do while the boat is in the middle of the Atlantic? I mean, if there's inter-carrier stuff that needs to be transported, I suppose that's one task. It would be a mighty long flight in a turboprop to transit the pond halfway, with lots of refueling I'm sure.

Like I said, just curious.

Ahhhhh.... :tongue2_1

~Nate

Nate, I will politely respond to your curiousity. I have no idea what a C-2 would do in the middle of the Atlantic, I'm not an East Coast COD driver. Now on the right coast, I mean West coast, we would do SSC missions or white air. In the late 90's, we would airborne respot to stay current at night as well. I think the East Coast guys just sit tight and wait for the nearest airfield on land to det from.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
LO281OK said:

1. Jets Kingsville
2. Jets Meridian
3. Props
4. Helos

and you have a 59 NSS, yet you get stuck with E2/C2 (not on your list) while a guy with a 49 gets P-3s. But you qualify to land on the boat and s/he doesn't, so the navy "needs" you.

Cry me a river. That's life in the Naval aviation.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
LO281OK said:
1. Jets Kingsville
2. Jets Meridian
3. Props
4. Helos

The thing he missed was that by putting jets, you indicate a desire to fly TACAIR. E2/C2s are considered TACAIR. They see you want to fly off the boat, they'll give you the chance to fly off the boat. The whole "put jets and be eligible for E2/C2s" thing is made ABUNDANTLY clear in the pre-selection brief. If you can't get a hold of that by the time you write down your choices, you're pretty dense. My form partner got the same NSS as I did, but he got E2/C2s b/c their were only three Navy jet slots and he had it listed 3rd. Having a 59 is by no means insurance that you will get jets. A 59 can easily be #1 one week, and #8 the next (ex: the week I selected, the 3 Navy jet slots went to people with a 73, and two 62s). Something I've noticed a good number of navy guys have a hard time understanding is the "needs of the service take priority over your wishes" angle. There seems to be a lot of folks that feel 'entitled' to a specific selection for some reason. Regardless of what you select, as a buddy of mine always says "your worst day flying is still better than the best day of being a swo." Anyhow. I know exactly who you're talking to regarding that 28 selection, and from the scuttlebutt, there was a recommendation lacking in his selection package.

/blah

boilersmack

E-6 Driver
Me and my buddy both got E-6's as our second choice. So you don't need to put it as number one you just need to do what the navy needs.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
ENSsquid said:
you mean LEFT coast.

edit: can you 'splain to me what SSC missions and white air are?
Surface Surveillance and Control (SSC)

IE: You are the battlegroup's ***** and go around looking at ships, and identifying them.

Agent00JP

Good point Squeeze

The whole "put jets and be eligible for E2/C2s" thing is made ABUNDANTLY clear in the pre-selection brief. If you can't get a hold of that by the time you write down your choices, you're pretty dense.

I haven't had the selection brief and the guy who was telling me about this didn't mention it, but that makes plenty of sense. I have no intention of putting jets in my top 2 (or 3?), so hopefully that will not lead to me being "needed" into a platform because I showed interest in a similar platform (ie. jets & E2/C2), assuming my NSS is in that region.

I completely understand the needs of the Navy, after all we did sign up to serve. I just didn't make the connection of showing a desire to fly off the boat by putting jets at the top. Thanks for the insight.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
ENSsquid said:
you mean LEFT coast.

edit: can you 'splain to me what SSC missions and white air are?

Actually I meant not only left coast but the correct coast, as far as I'm concerned. White air is playing the unkown guy. We brief to come at the boat at a certain altitude, airspeed, and direction with our IFF off. The Hornet's and Tomcats then get to intercept us. They don't know who we are so its training for them.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
I was going for politically left coast. I do enjoy SD weather though.

newscaster: what's the weather outlook for us this week?
weatherman: nice. [long pause] back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.