• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Infantry

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dont have exact numbers but from what I have seen the FAC tours seem to be fairly evenly divided amoung the communities. Remember HMLAs are huge in comparison to msot other squadrons: 54 pilots jsut to man every seat so it may seem as though HMLAs get more FAC quotas.
As for volunteering maybe there are more HMLA types that volunteer but there are also a fair amount that are voluntold.
I do however believe that HMLA guys make the best FACs, they already understand CAS and helo operations, but that is my admittedly biased opinion.

GT Propjock

I do however believe that HMLA guys make the best FACs, they already understand CAS and helo operations, but that is my admittedly biased opinion.

Definately bias here ;) I have worked for 130 Majors that were FACs, and were pretty good at it, alibi it may have taken them considerbly more work to be good at it since the last time we have seen a FACs 9-line was probably TBS ;)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I'd have to agree with Skidkid. There are always exceptions, but if I had to choose blindly (knowing nothing else about the guy) I'd pick an HMLA guy or a D Hornet type to be my FAC. That's 80% of what he's been doing on his fleet tour. I think Harrier guys make good FACs, but I must admit that it would have helped to know more helo stuff going in.

Any competant pilot or NFO (or arty/grunt for JTACs) can call CAS well. It just takes practice, knowlege, and exposure.

As far as "getting a FAC tour" goes, fear not. If you want one, there should be no problem getting one. If you don't want one, you may get one anyway.

GT Propjock

I'd have to agree with Skidkid. There are always exceptions, but if I had to choose blindly (knowing nothing else about the guy) I'd pick an HMLA guy or a D Hornet type to be my FAC. That's 80% of what he's been doing on his fleet tour. I think Harrier guys make good FACs, but I must admit that it would have helped to know more helo stuff going in.

I would agree whole-heartedly. Given my choice, skids would be the preference, for the same previous reason, when is the last time a 130 guy looked at a 9 line? Just answering to the bias opinion. ;)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You just sealed which aircraft I'm gonna beg for.

I'm not sure you got the point. Don't pick an aircraft based on what B-billet you want later. Try to look at the whole picture and go with what fits you best overall. You can be a FAC (and a great one if you work at it) no matter what aircraft you come from. The head of the MAWTS-1 Air Officer course is a 46 guy, so it's all what you make of it. Good luck with whatever you choose.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur with the above, choose a platform that is what you want to do. Any NA/NFO can be a FAC.

With that said if supporting the Infantry is what you want and you want to no only shoot stuff but control other aircraft's fire then absolutely go for Snakes, it is a great time.
Good luck.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
It seems in primary that IPs don't care for students who are dead set on a particular aircraft. Is this also true in intermediate/advanced?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dont know how true that really is in primary, remember you might change your mind a lot throughout the program and the IPs know that as well. In HTs I made no secret that I wanted Cobras and had no problems but I wasnt out there broadcasting "Cobras or nothing either"

If you arent obnoxious about it I cant really see the IPs caring one way or another.