• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Individual Augmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Grove

Hello,
I recently moved in with my brother who is a retired Navy Chief. He has PTSD and required help at times with meds etc. We spent a long time talking the other night and he was telling me about this IA or individual
Augmentation. He stated that his trip to Afghanistan in 2003 was an IA assignment. Problem is...I didnt see any medals/ ribbons or any mention of a trip there on his DD214. He says was voluntary and a secret mission, do my question is: Is it normal to see nothing on the DD 214 when they leave the country? Especially for battle even though it was only a month? Our dad’s shows everything from Korean Wartime. Thanks for any insight on this subject!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Regardless of the mission, he should still have Operation Enduring Freedom on there, with the associated dates. What was his rate?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
He says was voluntary and a secret mission
Based on the information provided, he is full of sh*t.

If he deployed with JSOC or DEVGRU his IA orders will state to where he was to report to active duty, with whom, and for what dates. His orders would also state the Noble Eagle number for his mobilization. There is nothing "classified" about performing an IA with a SEAL Team, with JSOC, with DEVGRU, or any other unit. It happens all of the time. Now then, what actually happens on these IA's can and may by classified, but telling people you went on an IA with JSOC is not.

The VA has a special liaison for handling claims of people who were on "secret missions." The liaison is cleared and works directly with Special Operations Command to vet any and all claims.

http://oldspooksandspies.org/Reference/Secret_Mission_Claims.pdf

https://www.veteranshelpgroup.com/blog/va-now-verifying-secret-missions-for-disability-compensation/

The liaison officer works for the VA but has access to thousands of classified files. Secret information can be retrieved concerning missions run by governmental intelligence agencies to include the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).

Last edited:

Susan Grove

Regardless of the mission, he should still have Operation Enduring Freedom on there, with the associated dates. What was his rate?

Thank you for replying. He has unfortunately been manipulating our whole family for years on many levels. He has always been VERY difficult, but about 8 months after our mother passed in 2015, he suddenly had a "mental breakdown", was admitted to a psych ward and when they spit him out-the claim was PTSD...our other brother and I were totally floored, because he NEVER made any mention of this in years prior and to our knowledge he had never been in any combat. I stepped up to "help" because I wanted to try to make sure this was all legit after I took him to a VA appointment and they asked for some documentation on these things and he got totally pissed and refused saying it was picking old scabs and then later told me the the incidents were secret and there was no paperwork and if he were to call on people who knew he was there they would get into trouble for taking him, cuz he "Volunteered"...I was immediately suspicious and started asking pots of questions. He claimed 3 traumatizing military events that led to PTSD:
1) witnessing a fire in the galley on USS JFK in 1995 where a man burned to death while he and other tried to save him. I looked at all the research on the USS JFK and could find ZERO record of any such casualty:(
2) He claimed to have witnessed a jet crash at NAS Bell Chase, VA and that the pilot burned to death in his presence. Again I cannot find any record of this event either.
3) That he was on this IA to Afganistan for 30 days. While there he was supposedly in a hummer where a gunner was killed right above him and he had to "take over" and pieces of this man's head jammed his gun. Every incident was told to us all in vivid detail, which made us all cry and feel that his horrible behavior toward us all was justified because of this.

He also said he was in Panama in the very beginning of his service for 2 weeks and that he was grazed on the back of the leg, which I cannot see any terrible scar... claimed initially that he came home from Afganistan "full of holes", which my other brother and I can't remember ever seeing scars on him-later changed the story to say he was never "shot" but somehow got shrapnel in his face. He has this piece(ball shape) of metal on a dressing that he claimed came out of his chin...maybe it did but we only saw what looked like an infected hair follicle and then he presented that to us.

He claimed his ex wife was present for the Belle Chase incident, but when we reached out to her, she stated that she never heard anything about a fire on the JFK, claims he NEVER went to Afganistan and had NEVER been shot. He had also claimed that he was pulled out of retirement to go on search and rescue missions after Hurricane Katrina and had to remove dead bodies from the water. She states that never happened. She left him in 2006, just after Katrina and she was with him for 11 years. When I asked him if she knew about this stuff, he said "No, she didn't give a shit about me....she just knew I was gone all the time" I asked if these missions were "secret" and nobody was supposed to know....what on earth happened when someone was killed?" He said that the military just makes stuff up to tell the families all the time. He was gone all those years and almost never showed up and now he is here and claims to have had all this trauma and treats us all like shit and justifies it with this Diagnosis. We are just looking for answers because we think he needs serious mental health attention.

I will attach his DD214 as we are not sure how to read it except for googling things and I think "service medal" is for when someone served during that time and "expeditionary medal" is for combat?? Is that right? If not we may be WAY off base and just need to deal with the DX and move on. Thank you for any clarity...we just really want him to get the right help and if he is lying then we need to confront him and get him to acknowledge this figure out why.

Attachments

• Confidential copy DD214.jpeg
    Confidential copy DD214.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 82

Susan Grove

Based on the information provided, he is full of sh*t.

If he deployed with JSOC or DEVGRU his IA orders will state to where he was to report to active duty, with whom, and for what dates. His orders would also state the Noble Eagle number for his mobilization. There is nothing "classified" about performing an IA with a SEAL Team, with JSOC, with DEVGRU, or any other unit. It happens all of the time. Now then, what actually happens on these IA's can and may by classified, but telling people you went on an IA with JSOC is not.

The VA has a special liaison for handling claims of people who were on "secret missions." The liaison is cleared and works directly with Special Operations Command to vet any and all claims.

Thank you for your reply!! I replied above and I think I covered everything. He was not a seal. He was an aviation storekeeper and became chief. In the end (2005) he started in finance and was a budget analyst. He is now "medically retired"

Susan Grove

Ironically that is exactly what I told my best friend the other day...I think he had multiple Diagnosis going on. I wanted to find someone who could read this and understand the form, because I am NOT military, I think he thinks it is easy to "fool" me. Our parents are gone and I thought it was interesting that he didn't breakdown until after mom passed. He was accused emotional and verbal abuse by his former wife also. I can attest to that, but didn't want to falsely accuse or suspect...so I am reaching out to you guys!

Susan Grove

Is anyone else suspicious of this post? Especially posting someone’s DD-214 (even if it doesn’t have any PII on there).

I am sorry if I am creating suspicion. I am just a sister, mom, wife and friend trying to help someone I care deeply about. I was just looking for any insight that might help me decide if I think my suspicions are founded. I thank you all for your service and bravery!

Susan Grove

Yeah, pretty sure he is not being truthful with you. Only 11 days sea time, only GWOT Service, no Expeditionary medals. He’s lying to your family.

Good luck.

Pickle
Thank you for your honesty. I think we figured that but needed some insight from someone else who knows about all this. Thank you for your service and Blessings to you

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Thank you for replying. He has unfortunately been manipulating our whole family for years on many levels. He has always been VERY difficult, but about 8 months after our mother passed in 2015, he suddenly had a "mental breakdown", was admitted to a psych ward and when they spit him out-the claim was PTSD...our other brother and I were totally floored, because he NEVER made any mention of this in years prior and to our knowledge he had never been in any combat. I stepped up to "help" because I wanted to try to make sure this was all legit after I took him to a VA appointment and they asked for some documentation on these things and he got totally pissed and refused saying it was picking old scabs and then later told me the the incidents were secret and there was no paperwork and if he were to call on people who knew he was there they would get into trouble for taking him, cuz he "Volunteered"...I was immediately suspicious and started asking pots of questions. He claimed 3 traumatizing military events that led to PTSD:
1) witnessing a fire in the galley on USS JFK in 1995 where a man burned to death while he and other tried to save him. I looked at all the research on the USS JFK and could find ZERO record of any such casualty:(
2) He claimed to have witnessed a jet crash at NAS Bell Chase, VA and that the pilot burned to death in his presence. Again I cannot find any record of this event either.
3) That he was on this IA to Afganistan for 30 days. While there he was supposedly in a hummer where a gunner was killed right above him and he had to "take over" and pieces of this man's head jammed his gun. Every incident was told to us all in vivid detail, which made us all cry and feel that his horrible behavior toward us all was justified because of this.

He also said he was in Panama in the very beginning of his service for 2 weeks and that he was grazed on the back of the leg, which I cannot see any terrible scar... claimed initially that he came home from Afganistan "full of holes", which my other brother and I can't remember ever seeing scars on him-later changed the story to say he was never "shot" but somehow got shrapnel in his face. He has this piece(ball shape) of metal on a dressing that he claimed came out of his chin...maybe it did but we only saw what looked like an infected hair follicle and then he presented that to us.

He claimed his ex wife was present for the Belle Chase incident, but when we reached out to her, she stated that she never heard anything about a fire on the JFK, claims he NEVER went to Afganistan and had NEVER been shot. He had also claimed that he was pulled out of retirement to go on search and rescue missions after Hurricane Katrina and had to remove dead bodies from the water. She states that never happened. She left him in 2006, just after Katrina and she was with him for 11 years. When I asked him if she knew about this stuff, he said "No, she didn't give a shit about me....she just knew I was gone all the time" I asked if these missions were "secret" and nobody was supposed to know....what on earth happened when someone was killed?" He said that the military just makes stuff up to tell the families all the time. He was gone all those years and almost never showed up and now he is here and claims to have had all this trauma and treats us all like shit and justifies it with this Diagnosis. We are just looking for answers because we think he needs serious mental health attention.

I will attach his DD214 as we are not sure how to read it except for googling things and I think "service medal" is for when someone served during that time and "expeditionary medal" is for combat?? Is that right? If not we may be WAY off base and just need to deal with the DX and move on. Thank you for any clarity...we just really want him to get the right help and if he is lying then we need to confront him and get him to acknowledge this figure out why.
There’s no such thing as a “secret” 30 day IA to Afghanistan. If had been, he would have it in his record. His other stories are most likely bullshit as well.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The way I'm reading the OP's post, the individual needs help, first and foremost. I don't really know what the OP wants us to do, heckle the guy? Prove him wrong? Get him help, and worry about the "stories" later. Get him help before he possibly hurts himself or worse... he hurts someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.