• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

India plans to build 100 warships

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting stuff.

What really caught my attention was that they just launched an indigenously-built nuke sub "based on a Russian design." Does that seem like the best idea to anyone? Base your design on those of a country with more non-combat sub losses than any other, ever? Somebody over there had to see K-19.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Interesting stuff.

What really caught my attention was that they just launched an indigenously-built nuke sub "based on a Russian design." Does that seem like the best idea to anyone? Base your design on those of a country with more non-combat sub losses than any other, ever? Somebody over there had to see K-19.

Should help counterbalance China.

Maybe they based it on "Red October" and not "K-19"

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
Interesting stuff.

India has gotten arms from Russia for years, so using a Russian plan is old news. Though being that many of the old fighter jets the Russians have sold the Indians have proven to be defective, I have no idea why they continue to do it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My point is, they're chose to use Russian sub designs and Russian subs catch fire, explode, meltdown, flood and sink a lot more than you typically want. Why not copy a nice German diesel boat? I'm pretty sure you can get yourself the plans to one of those with enough Honeycombs box tops.

Anyway, I assume they used Indian reactors and electronics. Otherwise, this is just a make-work program for the DSRV guys.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Interesting to see India take a place in controlling the Indian Ocean area. Wonder if they'll choose to go much farther than that?

They're also planning to buy a P-8 variant for maritime control. Maybe we get them to buy some Superbugs and they keep Boeing in business...

Renegade One

None
Interesting to see India take a place in controlling the Indian Ocean area. Wonder if they'll choose to go much farther than that?...

The natural state of the maritimes is "uncontrolled". As long as they're on the side of keeping the peace...more power to 'em.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The natural state of the maritimes is "uncontrolled". As long as they're on the side of keeping the peace...more power to 'em.

My statement was a bit misleading, sorry about that. I meant to ask if they will venture much farther than the Indian Ocean to project power, or be content in just that area. It was not to ask if they will try to take control of the area or do something rash. They already have ventured outwards to the HOA area for pirate hunting, considering their lifeblood is exports and trade (not to mention the number of Indian flagged ships and Indian sailors).

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
My statement was a bit misleading, sorry about that. I meant to ask if they will venture much farther than the Indian Ocean to project power, or be content in just that area. It was not to ask if they will try to take control of the area or do something rash. They already have ventured outwards to the HOA area for pirate hunting, considering their lifeblood is exports and trade (not to mention the number of Indian flagged ships and Indian sailors).

I think you just about summed it up. Just add the Straits of Malacca to this and you have a pretty good handle on India's national maritime strategy.

Whether (or not) they venture out of the Indian Ocean and how far depends on a lot of things... protecting trade and protecting their citizens are two very big things.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have no problem with it but I will only believe it when I actually see the ships underway, the Indian defense industry is infamous for it's underwhelming performance in building things on time.

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
I have no problem with it but I will only believe it when I actually see the ships underway, the Indian defense industry is infamous for it's underwhelming performance in building things on time.

Haven't you ever heard of Indian Standard Time?