• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Incorrect medical records

DavidC

I'm trying to get an air contract with the Marines, and I have a problem in my medical records.

In the beginning of high school I was put on ADD meds. They were prescribed at my parents' request. In the records, the incompetent doc stated that I was diagnosed with ADD after "extensive testing." This is completely false, as the doctor did not run any tests and I was never diagnosed with anything.

I know it's waiverable, but the idiot also stated that I have a weakness in visual processing speed. Again, he ran zero tests with me, and had no grounds to make that record. I'm sure that will look great on an air contract application though... :icon_rage

Is there anything I can do to get this corrected in my records? I would have no problem getting a letter from the counselor I talked with to get off the meds claiming that the statements are untrue. But then it would be two conflicting reports, and I'm not sure how NAMI would approach that.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I'm trying to get an air contract with the Marines, and I have a problem in my medical records.

In the beginning of high school I was put on ADD meds. They were prescribed at my parents' request. In the records, the incompetent doc stated that I was diagnosed with ADD after "extensive testing." This is completely false, as the doctor did not run any tests and I was never diagnosed with anything.

I know it's waiverable, but the idiot also stated that I have a weakness in visual processing speed. Again, he ran zero tests with me, and had no grounds to make that record. I'm sure that will look great on an air contract application though... :icon_rage

Is there anything I can do to get this corrected in my records? I would have no problem getting a letter from the counselor I talked with to get off the meds claiming that the statements are untrue. But then it would be two conflicting reports, and I'm not sure how NAMI would approach that.

Corrected....likely not. However, the best thing you can do is to get a doc (psychiatrist) to state that you don't have ADD and have been symptom free for Y period of time.

lwhite

I actually had someone similar happen with a different condition and have been trying to get it straightened out. But my OSO talked to the doc and pretty much said that since it's on paper I have to be symptom free for a certain number of years after that and still there's no guarantee of a waiver.

torpedo0126

being on medication for ADD "generally" is not good. but like lwhite said, it will probably depend on a certain amount of years.

lwhite

My biggest beef is how doctors seem to be handing out medication like candy without doing any real tests...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My biggest beef is how doctors seem to be handing out medication like candy without doing any real tests...

My biggest beef is the idiots (or their parents) who take medication like candy without any consideration for their own due diligence.

lwhite

Most times kids take what their parents give them. The parents take what the docs prescribe no questions asks so the ignorance just breeds.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ADD is waiverable. Do a search for the aeromedical waiver guide and read it. That's the bible NAMI uses to determine whether to waiver you. I was on Ritalin as a kid through early HS, too, and I got waivered and winged.

DavidC

My biggest beef is the idiots who take medication like candy without any consideration for their own due diligence.
I never actually used the meds. I just tossed the pill in the bushes each morning on the way out the door. Unfortunately the prescription is in my records, and I can't prove that I never took the drugs.

I should have a letter from a psychologist in the next few days saying I had no reason be prescibed medication and that I've had no symptoms since she saw me over six years ago. Hopefully that will be enough.

Words cannot explain how pissed I am with this doctor. Not only for dispensing prescriptions like a vending machine, but also for making false statements in my medical record to make his actions seem less medically unethical.