• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Incentives while in the BDCP?

rickthebrowning

I understand most of the information I've read thus far on the BDCP is unofficial. However, is anyone aware of any incentives while in the BDCP? Example: I read somewhere that if you make the Dean's list multiple times you get a slight pay bonus. Is there any merit to something like this, or is it all just smoke and mirrors?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
It's true. You start off as E-3, but (I think) if you make dean's list two semesters in a row you'll be bumped up to E-4.

Lobster

I understand most of the information I've read thus far on the BDCP is unofficial. However, is anyone aware of any incentives while in the BDCP? Example: I read somewhere that if you make the Dean's list multiple times you get a slight pay bonus. Is there any merit to something like this, or is it all just smoke and mirrors?

There are two ways of getting promoted, first is to have a 3.5 or above for two consecutive semesters. Second, if you recommend someone else who joins the program you can get promoted again. So all and all you have the chance to go from E-3 to E-5. Along with that you are considered active duty, so you will recieve active duty benefits as well which includes things such as an ID card, base privelages, and Tricare. Stand by flights are also another benefit. It is not smoke and mirriors it is true but you have to uphold your end of the deal, which means keeping your grades up and staying out of trouble

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
There are two ways of getting promoted, first is to have a 3.5 or above for two consecutive semesters. Second, if you recommend someone else who joins the program you can get promoted again. So all and all you have the chance to go from E-3 to E-5. Along with that you are considered active duty, so you will recieve active duty benefits as well which includes things such as an ID card, base privelages, and Tricare. Stand by flights are also another benefit. It is not smoke and mirriors it is true but you have to uphold your end of the deal, which means keeping your grades up and staying out of trouble

And along with being considered active duty means that your time in BDCP counts as time towards retirement. You will also be in a higher pay grade than non-priors. Probably the biggest perk in my opinion, especially if you plan on making a career out of the Navy.

Lobster

And along with being considered active duty means that your time in BDCP counts as time towards retirement. You will also be in a higher pay grade than non-priors. Probably the biggest perk in my opinion, especially if you plan on making a career out of the Navy.

Good point, how could I forget such a thing :p.

mastbump

I live vicariously through myself.
pilot
BDCP was awesome. I got paid E-3 for two and a half years and didn't have to worry about applying for aviation after I finished college. All of the advantages have been listed...Tricare(if you need it), USAA, pay, time in service, and you also accumulate leave.

The only drawback I can see would be the 2 year unrated obligation if you don't make it through OCS, i.e. DOR. I saw several people, granted they were NUPOC, DOR, hit student pool, then pack their bags and head up to Great Lakes for boot camp. I'm not sure if that part of the contract is still in there but it is definitely something you have to think about.

But OCS probably isn't any worse than boot camp, and the result, in my opinion, is better. So why not be miserable for 12 weeks at OCS and get commissioned, instead of spending 9 miserable weeks in Great Lakes followed by 2 years of suck?

Now you know...and knowing is half the battle!

Lobster

The two year obligation is still a part of it, but its a good thing to have a little extra motivation in the back of your mind ;). "Ugh maybe I'll go to the library tonight so I don't end up at Great Mistakes next term."

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
You will also be in a higher pay grade than non-priors.

Be careful how you word that. You'll have more time in service, i.e. commission as an O-1 with 2 years in vice O-1 with 0. But you're both the same paygrade: O-1.

Don't be the guy when people ask you how long you've been in and say "3 years" when you're still an ENS.

nugget81

pilot
Don't be the guy when people ask you how long you've been in and say "3 years" when you're still an ENS.

But some people have been in for three years and are still just an ENS...;) (doesn't happen often from what I hear)

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Be careful how you word that. You'll have more time in service, i.e. commission as an O-1 with 2 years in vice O-1 with 0. But you're both the same paygrade: O-1.

I'm an Ensign and have 4 years in - Extra salty, prior enlisted (BDCP)

atrickpay

BDCP SNA

Yeah, bad wording thanks for clarifying. And about the BAH, check out this website and it'll let you know exactly how much you'll make for where you live. This portion is untaxed too, can't beat that!