• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

In the Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricechex

Hey guys, it is almost here. I am leaving for boot camp in 7 weeks! I will be taking apart my computer in about 2 weeks though and I wanted to get some last minute advice on my first months in the Navy. I am going in at E-3 with my AA complete. I am currently working on my BMR's book and have the G.O's, Sailor's Creed, and rank and recognition down. As everyone can probably guess, I want to fly and will be trying to get into the STA program ASAP. I might have asked this before, but can I apply for NROTC while on active duty? Does this supercede my current contract? Thanks in advance for the advice.
CRicechex

Crowbar

None
You certainly can apply for NROTC scholarship while on active duty. I go to school with several Navy option students who did exactly that. If accepted, you will be discharged from active duty to attend college. Just be careful you don't get disenrolled for any reason-you end up with a one-way fleet ticket.

Anyway, STA-21 kicks ass but it's not a given so don't get discouraged if things don't work out immediately. Good luck!

mbeaser

Actually, when they started up STA-21 they took away the option for active duty to apply for NROTC (it says that on the STA-21 website). If you want to be a pilot, you're really limited to STA-21, OCS or getting out at the end of your contract and then going NROTC.

Crowbar

None
mbeaser said:
Actually, when they started up STA-21 they took away the option for active duty to apply for NROTC (it says that on the STA-21 website). If you want to be a pilot, you're really limited to STA-21, OCS or getting out at the end of your contract and then going NROTC.

Really? Didn't know that!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
cricechex said:
As everyone can probably guess, I want to fly and will be trying to get into the STA program ASAP.

I would think between 2 and 5 years is a realistic goal for getting picked up for this program. Not real sure what your definition of ASAP is, but I would hope it's not less than a couple years.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Absolutely correct. I have been looking at all options into becoming a pilot over the last several years. With STA-21 all of the other commissioning programs for enlisted have been combined into it with the exception of the LDO and CWO programs which can't lead to becoming a pilot anyways. Should you decide to get out the maximum age limit is 27 waiverable to 29 with enlisted service.

However, you can apply for other service commissioning programs such as AFROTC and the AROTC. These programs are open to all servicemembers the catch is you have to get a form filled out and approved by the Navy that they will release you if accepted. I believe the form is the dd386 but not positive on the numbers. I haven't put in for the AFROTC yet as the deadline is OCT 04 and I am currently concentrating on my STA-21 package and E-7 package.

FC1

cjettaf

BLACK SHOES
STA-21 really consolidated many commissioning paths for enlisted personnel. When I first started applying, it really was a hassle trying to meet all of the application deadlines and boards for all of the programs I was eligible for. It is more streamlined now. Not so much easier, but instead of submitting 3 or 4 different packages a year for various programs, there is only one. Competition is fierce, but well worth the effort when you get selected. 2 to 5 years is a realistic goal for getting selected. It took me 2 years once I felt ready to apply. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses will really help. Being able to realize areas where you can improve and work on those each year will help you significantly. The secret to success is not giving up. Best of luck!
-CJF

cricechex

Thanks for the info...back to the original question, is there anything else I need to do to better prepare for boot camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.