• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

In OCS, stil awaiting a NAMI letter so I can get my orders.

AnonymousGuy

None
Hi, everyone. I've made it through OCS so far, and I'm due to graduate next week. Unfortunately, NONE of us aviators or NFOs have received our NAMI letters yet, so we cannot receive our orders either:/

Is this normal practice for it to take so long?

To make matters worse, I'm told that our detailer is out of the office all week this week as well. So that leaves only next week for him to write our orders, assuming the NAMI letters are even in by then.

Is this something we should all be worried about, or is it normal for the NAMI letters to come in late-in-the-game? Can the detailer write out orders very quickly once the NAMI letters are received?

Thanks in advance for your help, everyone!

nugget61

pilot
NAMI took a long time for most of the folks in my class and most didn't get their orders till late. I personally got mine at Hi-Moms, as well as a few others. One guy in my class was even sent down to Pcola and told that his orders would meet him down here (and they did).
You shouldn't worry about it. If its a major problem (like with Millington flooded) they can hold the folks without orders in King hall and release you when you get orders (I don't know if they commissioned till they got orders though, have to get someone from the 12 time frame to answer that one). And yes they can write your orders quickly - from OCS they're pretty much a form letter with a blank for your name to get to Florida.

beaverslayer

pilot
+ 1. A few guys from my class (02) stayed in King for the weekend and their orders came in on Monday, while others of us had them the first week of Candio phase. Don't stress out about it, you'll get them sooner or later.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
^^^This. I got my orders the day before graduation as well.

I know you're ready to get out of there, but sit tight and enjoy the last week. The orders will come.

The Navy works on their schedule, not yours.

Ezekiel

Falling, with style
None
Got mine at 5PM on Graduation Day. Nothing quite like being called back from liberty, putting on Khakis then waiting an hour to check into King Hall just to be told "you can leave, but only if you hurry; PSD closes in 7 minutes."

AnonymousGuy

None
This just sucks...I've bought a $2000 plane ticket that leaves from Ohio for the Monday following graduation. I MUST get those orders on or before graduation day:/

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
This just sucks...I've bought a $2000 plane ticket that leaves from Ohio for the Monday following graduation. I MUST get those orders on or before graduation day:/

Are you flying on a private jet? Jesus that is a lot of money to go from RI to Ohio...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
lol...no it's not a flight from RI to Ohio. It's a flight overseas for vacation for me since we get leave between OCS and Pensacola report date.

Welcome to the Navy, where buying plane tickets early will always cause you to get extended, and waiting until the last minute when prices are highest results in ops normal.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Have you gone through all the steps for OCONUS leave? It's not as easy as asking for leave enroute...

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Welcome to the Navy, where buying plane tickets early will always cause you to get extended, and waiting until the last minute when prices are highest results in ops normal.

One way to screw with airline pricing models, which escalate prices as you get closer to the travel date but then plummet in the last 24 hrs to fill any empty seats:

1) 30 days out, book 10 fully refundable, full coach fares.

2) 24 hours out, cancel all 10 fares

3) Re-book your one seat.

The pricing model will say to itself "Oh jeez, 24 hours to go and I've got all those empty seats! Sell, Sell, SELL!!! (This from a very interesting lecture from an economist at the IEEE Aerospace Conference a few years back...) Whether and how the airlines would react to any actual use of this tactic would be interesting.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
One way to screw with airline pricing models, which escalate prices as you get closer to the travel date but then plummet in the last 24 hrs to fill any empty seats:

1) 30 days out, book 10 fully refundable, full coach fares.

2) 24 hours out, cancel all 10 fares

3) Re-book your one seat.

The pricing model will say to itself "Oh jeez, 24 hours to go and I've got all those empty seats! Sell, Sell, SELL!!! (This from a very interesting lecture from an economist at the IEEE Aerospace Conference a few years back...) Whether and how the airlines would react to any actual use of this tactic would be interesting.

The one flaw I see in that is the airlines will overbook flights as well. If this happens then you are SOL! Also, you have some people waiting to fly standby on certain flights as well... Just my opinion but I wouldn't go trying this theory out...