• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

In depth question about eligibility for OCS

jiminy

Hello,

I am an 8 1/2 year enlisted veteran. I was an Aviation Electronics Technician, but I only had about 3 good years of troubleshooting experience, all the other time I was in collateral duties (long unimportant story there).

I got out of the military in part so I could finish college. I graduated from University of North Texas with honors, 3.61 GPA, English Literature major and Social Sciences minor.

My DD-214 has a reenlistment code of RE-4. I was separated due to high-year tenure (I was an E-4 with over 8 years of service).

However, I had been an E-5 until about 3 months before my separation. I received NJP reduction in rate due to a DUI. I think what happened is that the captain didn't realize he was essentially ending my career, possibly because he wasn't aware of the new high-year tenure change from 10 to 8 years? (he mentioned at the mast that I would have a chance to make back my rank and even asked my senior chief to make sure I "studied hard").

I was informed by everyone up and down the chain that I could receive a waiver and be able to reenlist. However, at the time I was less than 3 semesters from graduating, and I was very angry about the way the entire command was treating me (I was being berated daily by chiefs and officers I had personally seen get into cars and drive while completely wasted, but they just never got caught), so I decided to just ride out the last 3 months and let the navy pay me a big separation pay ($20,000). I figured, if they want to ruin my career, I will let them essentially pay me for getting my DUI.

That was over 2 years ago. I don't have any animosity towards any of them now (they were just doing their jobs, and doing them well, at least while they were on duty).

I am now thinking about the fact that I am less than 12 years away from having been able to retire and collect benefits the rest of my life. I have also realized that even though I was not given the best duty stations, I could have made it a much better time. I also now realize how much respect I always had for all of my officers, and I think that I would be able to inspire young sailors, especially because of my own rocky past.

I am not defending the DUI in any way, and if the Navy will simply not accept me for OCS based on the DUI, please let me know and I will drop thinking about it.

I am wondering if, since I could have applied for a waiver when I was active duty so I could reenlist, can I get a waiver of the RE-4 now in order to apply for OCS? Or, does the reenlistment code even matter, since I am not trying to enlist, but to be commissioned?

I know this is a long post, but I wanted to get all the information to you that I could. If you can help me out, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Dude, you hosed yourself...move on with yer civilian life. I believe the skipper probably knew what he was doing...

jiminy

Dude, you hosed yourself...move on with yer civilian life. I believe the skipper probably knew what he was doing...

thanks for the nice way of putting that.

no, he actually didn't know, and even told me that personally later on.

but if you meant to say that with a DUI I am not eligible for OCS, then thank you for the info.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I believe some have made it with a DUI, but it's hit-or-miss. You won't know until you throw your application at them. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I think what happened is that the captain didn't realize he was essentially ending my career, possibly because he wasn't aware of the new high-year tenure change from 10 to 8 years? (he mentioned at the mast that I would have a chance to make back my rank and even asked my senior chief to make sure I "studied hard")
A DUI is not automatically a deal breaker per se, but if you really still think that the captain was the one who ended your career, then you should probably seek employment elsewhere. You screwed up big, and you have to take personal accountability for what you get.

As long as you are under the age limit, a US citizen, have no disqualifying medical issues, and have a college degree, you are eligible to apply for a commission.

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
Second chances

Try looking up your old CO on NKO and e-mail him. If you have honestly "repented" he may write a letter of explanation, or if you're luky a recommendation.

There are always waivers, and you should not be discouraged to apply. All they can say is no. If that happens at least you tried.

Is there a personal letter that is to go with the package? (I'm not at all familiar with OCS application processes as I was a STA-21 candidate, but the AW search will help you on that one) If so, include what you've learned from the "flaw in character" and how you've changed/improved.

There are O's and E's out there that have had awsome, rewarding careers despite getting a DUI/OWI. It is what you do afterwards that counts, and that you take FULL responsibility, no excuses. Second chances may be rarely given, but they are given.

jiminy

A DUI is not automatically a deal breaker per se, but if you really still think that the captain was the one who ended your career, then you should probably seek employment elsewhere. You screwed up big, and you have to take personal accountability for what you get.

As long as you are under the age limit, a US citizen, have no disqualifying medical issues, and have a college degree, you are eligible to apply for a commission.

No, I mentioned in my post that everyone in the chain of command encouraged me to ask for a waiver of the high-year tenure, because they didn't want me to be out of the military. I don't blame the captain for anything...like I also said in my post, he did his job well, and I respected him for his candor at the mast as well.

I just felt at the time that with everything in the state it was in, that I might as well just get out and finish college.

The main 2 questions I have are:
1) Is the DUI a deal breaker? (and thank you for the answers, most of you were very polite and straightforward)
2) a two-parter:
a. Does the reenlistment code on a DD214 have any bearing on receiving commission in the navy, since being an officer is not an "enlistment".
b. Since, due to the circumstances, I would have been granted a waiver for high-year tenure separation, would the ability for a waiver still be possible. (I think the best answer I have gotten from you all is, "try and see").

I have many options (including graduate school, thanks to the new kick-ass post 9/11 gi bill). I just wanted to see where I stood on the officer one.

Take care, and Go Navy

rhinoh82

Question 1: No, a DUI is not a deal breaker in and of itself. However, when you apply to the boards for OCS you will also be submitting your entire service record, including your DD214 with the rest of your package. The boards will be taking into consideration your entire active duty time. So, that being said do you have any awards and did you receive above average pro and con marks while on active duty. If your DUI was the culmination of a lack luster active duty career, that would definitely hurt your chances. If you had a DUI but otherwise had all your sh!t in one sock, they might overlook that as one boneheaded mistake. So think about your entire service record to answer your own question and then find your nearest Officer Recruiter and schedule a meeting with them to discuss your chances. They generally know if your package would be competitive for selection or not.

Question 2a: YES!! Your reenlistment code has everything to do with seeking a commission. The first question my recruiter asked me was am I prior military. The second question was what is your reenlistment code. Again, call an OR and they will be able to tell you if your even eligible to submit a package.

Question 2b: You answered your own question "try and see" there is nothing wrong with reenlisting. Get back in there and bust your hump and try to gain a commission through active duty.