• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Improving chances of getting to OCS while in school

dsevo

Work a real job while you're in school. Getting decent grades on mommy and daddy's dime doesn't prove the selection board much of anything.

blarged

ready
Work a real job while you're in school. Getting decent grades on mommy and daddy's dime doesn't prove the selection board much of anything.

This doesn't necessarily have to be while school is in session. But think internships. The keyword that dsevo uses is: Work a real job. Do something at a notable company that is possibly relevant to your degree.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Hey hey, wait a second. Depending on his major, grades may not necessarily matter. I mean, if he's studying aerospace engineering and has low grades but he aces the ASTB...he'll be fine.

While often true to an extent, I have also seen guys screw themselves by making this assumption. Anything under a 3.0 in any major is going to make you less competitive, no matter how well you did on a standardized test (that you can study for and retake 2 other times). Not saying that even then it couldn't happen (a poli sci friend of mine picked up pilot with a 2.7), but you had better hope big Navy needs itself some pilots/NFO's when you submit your package if your grades suck.

RussBow6

i had a 2.89 in mechanical engineering.... worked out for me somehow

but my recruiter definitely made it clear that i needed to do very well on the astb to make up for it

dsevo

This doesn't necessarily have to be while school is in session. But think internships. The keyword that dsevo uses is: Work a real job. Do something at a notable company that is possibly relevant to your degree.

I actually think that working while in school is the key. IMO, they want to see that you have good time management skills, since most officers in the Navy have multiple jobs at once. I was only a barback/bartender throughout college, but it was a full time job, and I still took 15-19 units a semester. I also owned my own company for a year while working said full time job and going to school, but I don't think they expect anything like that. I just had something I wanted to do, and I couldn't afford to quit my job, so I did both. If I did it all over again though I would apply to BDCP. That is the best deal going, and I am urging my younger brother to take advantage of it.

BUDU

Ummm, it is CSU, not CU....because my daughter goes there. And I'm probably a better shot than you are a runner. :tongue2_1

Done and done. Never even been to Colorado.

And I have a 2.79 in theatre, that somehow worked out for me too.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
i had a 2.89 in mechanical engineering.... worked out for me somehow

but my recruiter definitely made it clear that i needed to do very well on the astb to make up for it

Nice, I had a 2.71 in Business from Villanova. You almost have to try to get a GPA that low.

Needless to say, I had a BLAST in college.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I actually think that working while in school is the key. IMO, they want to see that you have good time management skills, since most officers in the Navy have multiple jobs at once.

You know this from all the applicant packages you've approved?

My GUESS (not a recruiter, won't speak to what they know/do, maybe Wink can help), is that they're looking for a well rounded, capable, mature individual. Is good time management a skill they're looking for? Sure. Is the only way to show it by working a full time job? Not at all. Does the Navy care that someone's parents paid for them to get through school? I doubt it. They'll more likely care what else that person did with their time. School gov't? Sports team/club captain? Frat president? It's about the whole person. However, don't expect being captain of the beer pong team and posting a 120sec keg stand time to help balance out a 1.3 GPA. Don't discount how important good grades are.

Oh, and if you have the chance, study abroad during college.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
I have, except for the part where someone told me that doing college girls would help me get into OCS. Excluding those posts, thanks for the answers guys.

Want to know how I know your gay?..(If your going to OCS your going to need some thicker skin)

But seriously, just make yourself the shit. There is no one thing that you do to get into OCS. Everything you do that makes you look good is going to make you ...look...good. So Grades, Experience, Volunteer, Athletics, Clean Criminal Record, Healthy, in shape, all of this will help but still wont promise you anything.

LOOK INTO BDCP, if your serious about joining this is the way to go, or at least try.