• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Important Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
OK, here is the question: I just found out that the docters think my Grandpa has bone cancer (he is 90). He and I are really close and I know that he wouldn't want anything to affect my Navy career. If he dies while I'm at OCS, are we allowed to take anytime off to go to the funeral? Do we automatically roll if we miss anytime or can we miss a day or two and not roll? He wouldn't want me to come to his funeral if it would cause me to roll (he and I have talked about this before). Does anyone know the answer? Thanks.

EngineGirl

ip568

None
Hardship leave is almost always granted. You have to decide if your grandparent's death warrants such a request. That's the Navy. If you miss too much in the Navy's opinion, you get pushed back.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
And if you roll, so freaking what!? Family emergencies come before training.
Sort of related: If I was still in flight school, I would take off to be in my brother's wedding. Unfortunately, I'll be deployed then.

Chopteam6

Imediate family memebers are defined by the navy as mother, father, Sister, Brother, Son, Daughter, with the exception being if you were raised by another family member not listed. Should the OCS command allow you to take leave you will almost definately roll back two weeks in training. Your options will most likely be to take leave and roll back, or D.O.R.

If your grandfather is that critical you should call your recruiter and have him negotiate a class date later in the year when your grandfather is more stable or "god forbid" actually dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.