• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Impact of Flag/GO Appointment Delays

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I th
Could we say the navy is rudderless?
I believe that's a valid challenge for the new CNO.

I would recommend the following letter-to-the-editor in today's WSJ

"The issues you identify in your editorial The U.S, Submarine Fleet Is Underwater" (July 29) have been ignored by our Congress, Defense Department and Navy for well over a decade. My son was assigned to the USS Hartford when it entered the shipyards for a six-month overhaul in 2013. Those six months stretched to nearly 18 months. During that period, the shipyard, which was getting bonuses for delivering Virginia-class boats early, was unable to find workers to complete the Hartford. I wrote my senator about this. He forwarded my letter to the Navy, which responded with a cursory"we're doing our best" note. At least my son wasn't assigned to the USS Boise, which was stuck pierside, waiting four years only to begin its yard period. Stuck waiting or delayed in the yard, these submarines' crews aren't honing their combat skills. Demoralized, many leave the service at great cost to our country. All this has been obvious to our leaders, yet even now they dither.

Cmdr. Paul Withington, USNR (Ret.)
West Chester, Pa."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I th

I believe that's a valid challenge for the new CNO.

I would recommend the following letter-to-the-editor in today's WSJ

"The issues you identify in your editorial The U.S, Submarine Fleet Is Underwater" (July 29) have been ignored by our Congress, Defense Department and Navy for well over a decade. My son was assigned to the USS Hartford when it entered the shipyards for a six-month overhaul in 2013. Those six months stretched to nearly 18 months. During that period, the shipyard, which was getting bonuses for delivering Virginia-class boats early, was unable to find workers to complete the Hartford. I wrote my senator about this. He forwarded my letter to the Navy, which responded with a cursory"we're doing our best" note. At least my son wasn't assigned to the USS Boise, which was stuck pierside, waiting four years only to begin its yard period. Stuck waiting or delayed in the yard, these submarines' crews aren't honing their combat skills. Demoralized, many leave the service at great cost to our country. All this has been obvious to our leaders, yet even now they dither.

Cmdr. Paul Withington, USNR (Ret.)
West Chester, Pa."
While I'm not particularly keen on stories or editorials that engage in problem admiration - especially by retired Naval Officers - a better question to ask might be: Who is actually responsible for ensuring that our country has an adequate shipyard capacity? Is it the Navy's responsibility when a shipyard can't hire enough workers to complete the work it has contracted to perform?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I'm not particularly keen on stories or editorials that engage in problem admiration - especially by retired Naval Officers - a better question to ask might be: Who is actually responsible for ensuring that our country has an adequate shipyard capacity? Is it the Navy's responsibility when a shipyard can't hire enough workers to complete the work it has contracted to perform?
More specifically, there's also so many ways that ultimately, lots of folks are coloring inside lines that are ultimately set down by Congress.

Llarry

The U.S. Constitution stipulates that the Senate provides "advice and consent" on the President's appointment of officers. It is merely Senate rules that allow a Senator to put a hold on promotions or confirmations. A simple majority vote *could* change Senate rules. I contacted the Majority Leader of the Senate a couple of weeks ago at senate.gov suggesting that the present disaster could cease if the rules were changed. I also made it clear that I was not Senator Schumer's constituent (while fearing I would not therefore hear back from the Senator). Sure enough, crickets. And of course, I am of the great unwashed who is clueless about the intricacies of Senate rules. The problem is the folks in the Senate who are savvy about Senate rules aren't getting the people's work done.:(

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
I'm almost ambivalent.

The legislative has given away a lot of power and decision making to the executive that belongs in the legislative. Easier to whine about what the other party is doing and pose on social media than it is to actually write laws and pass legislature.

The Judicial, with their "major questions" doctrine that got made up from who knows where, is trying to act as a forcing function to restore the balance and responsibility back to the legislative, to force them to do something other than performative BS. So when Tuberville exerts his ability to completely foul the rudder of the ship independent of party, it's at least a small restoration of power where it belongs.

But he should stop f***ing with our military on this.

BigRed389

None
If not responsibility, then definitely a Navy problem.

And as a Navy problem arguably, a SECNAV / ASN RDA responsibility…certainly no other department is responsible for naval shipyards.
Also arguable that it’s a larger Federal government - as in the applicable parts of the Executive and Legislative. Shipyard capacity is a strategic resource similar to semiconductor chips, and the CHIPS Act wasn’t the work of a single Department in the Executive branch.