• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Immediate Family Background

Status
Not open for further replies.

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Wanted to see if anyone has heard of this similar information. My recruiter told me that in the background investigation for security clearance for Intel, they check to see if all immediate family members (parents, brothers, spouse) are also US citizens. If not they will reject your application for security clearance? In turn of course this will also affect your chance of getting into Intel. Can anyone shed light on this?

Pete

I'm a student jet pilot, and both of my parents are foreign born and only one is currently an American citizen, and I haven't had a problem yet with any security clearance applications since I started doing them 6 years ago. I'm sure they may be a little more stringent for intel, but I have never heard it being a problem for any friends of mine who are intel guys. For a definite answer I wouldn't rely on the recruiter or myself, but inquire into whoever does your background check.

mimisoko9

Three of my brothers were born in and adopted from Korea. I am applying pilot/NFO and had to provide their naturalization certificate numbers, date and court of issue.

If they are not citizens, you will probably be asked to provide their alien/visa registration numbers and the like. If you or your family members don't have the info readily available, put those wheels in motion NOW. You could be faced with long waiting periods and many circular conversations.

If they're illegal, I have no idea what that means for you. Hope it helps and good luck.

-Mimi

stevew

I have heard the same thing, however I have also heard that there is a waiver for it!

I'm trying to fill out my Navy app and even though my mother is naturalized they need her date and number. She came to the US 45 years ago and doesn't know where the doc is. Now I have no clue on how to go about finding it. BCIS (formerly INS) has it but till you file the forms and get a response pigs will start flying!

04Hopeful

Thanks everyone for your input! The problem from what I understand from the recruiter is the SSBI (Single Scope Background Investigation) that they do to see if getting security clearance is a problem. Both of my parents are not citizens but have had their green card over 20 years. I think the problem maybe that we come from such threatful nation as Holland
icon_smile_wink.gif

mimisoko9

Steve - I sent you a PM.

'04 - When I did the EPSQ, it appeared that green card info would have sufficed. But perhaps your security check is more strict.

It's a total pain and it's frustrating to think that something like this can preclude your application from being complete. I sympathize.

-Mimi

04Hopeful

Thanks Mimi for your support

Well overall my recruiter doesn't seem at all interested in my strive to become a Naval officer. Just tells me all designators are closed or all other applications he has done got rejected etc. etc. But it seems from what I am reading here I am in good company
bouncy_125.gif
. I am being persistant though and asking for references to manuals etc to see where he is getting information from, of course so far that has been slow coming, and continue with my research. Anyone ever thought about writing a book about getting into OCS?
icon_smile_wink.gif

stevew

'04- Sounds almost as bad as my recruiter, mine thinks he knows it all, if he hasn't heard of it, it doesn't exist. It's a good thing I didn't tell him that my eyesight was worse than -5.50 as far as he is concerned I'm already disqualified, cause he never heard of the 3/6 month thing
crazy_125.gif

04Hopeful

Steve, sorry to hear you are getting the same thing, I think it is all very unfortunate. I guess any answer is better then saying I don't know in their eyes. Are you working now with a different recruiter, or just doing all the work yourself and having him simply signoff on the needed paperwork?

stevew

Right now I still have to wait out my six months so I have some time to work on parts of my app. I would like to retake my ASTB and I still have to fing my mom's naturalizatiion #. I also have to get a transcript from one of the schools I attended. I hope pilot opens up before Nov. 1 because after then my recruiter said that my app is going to the shredder. Of course I'm not gonna let that happen, I'll go to another recruiter instead.

-Steve

JKD

here is a link to the security bible for the Navy (SECNAVINST 5510.30A)
http://neds.nebt.daps.mil/551030.htm
I don't see it talk about immediate family citizen requirements, but it does not make a distinction between naturalized citizen and US born citizen for the person applying for the clearance.

The security clearance for Pilots and Intel is different. The level of clearance and the type of investigation differs. Family citizenship may be a criteria. If it is, it should be in an instruction somewhere. This may give you some info to help your case.

dividebyzero

Family background, criminal records, and any foriegn travel/residency are the biggest delay causing factors. Get your paperwork in order for you family *well* in advance. If you've travelled overseas or lived anywhere overseas, be ready to have that documented to the very week, addresses, contacts, every little bit you can add makes it go faster.

I've had friends on dreaded clearance hold for 3-4 years. One poor bastard somehow got into this field only to be held up at A-school forever because he had relatives in Libya and the place he lived at in the Congo has been destroyed. Good times, indeed.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
My mom is from Colombia but took a citizenship test and is now a citizen. So from what I'm hearing I'm going to have to provide documentation for this as well, even if I'm just a pilot applicant?

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

Status
Not open for further replies.