• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"I'm off to change my underwear..."

The thread-title is a quote from the article. Evidently, a British Airways jet was "seconds from disaster in US 'near collision'"...There was a thread here on the accident in Brazil not too long ago--this one sounded a little too similar. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=411695&in_page_id=1770&ct=5.

While you O's (or former O's) on Airwarriors are doing whatever it is you all do, I'll throw some news out there for ya when I find it; I don't have a whole lot else to contribute, but enjoy the site...Thanks.

snizo

Supply Officer
Wow - Boeing 777's sure don't look like they used to.

BA2planeL_228x121.jpg

Carno

Insane
the article said:
A packed British Airways jet was just seconds from disaster after plummeting out of the sky in a dramatic near miss over America, it has emerged.

I ****ing love the wording they use here.

The next line goes on to say that they "plummeted out of the sky" for a distance of 600 feet. :sleep_125
I'm sure it was surprising and scary for the pax, but come on, the plane hardly plummeted out of the sky.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
yeah, 600', that's scary...not!

I flew through a TS once and we descended 1000', then climbed 2000' in about ten seconds. THAT was scary. Had to remove the seat cushion from my rear after that one.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I media couldn't write an accurate, professional aviation article if a gun was put to their head.

Military and Aviation, two topics that show the ignorance level of your typical journalist.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Military and Aviation, two topics that show the ignorance level of your typical journalist.

I sometimes wonder if it's the same in other specialized fields, but those just happen to be the only ones I'm qualified to judge in . . . No doubt.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I sometimes wonder if it's the same in other specialized fields, but those just happen to be the only ones I'm qualified to judge in . . . No doubt.

I'll add another... firearms. Journalists are as dumb as apes when it comes to firearms.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Had lots of TCAS RAs and never planted someone up on the overhead. Unless they actually saw an impending mid air, and they never saw the other aircraft, there is no reason for violent maneuvers. All you have to do is immediately apply smooth and deliberate pitch changes to descend or climb the aircraft at the rate of decent or climb commanded by the TCAS on the VSI display. I suspect the guys over controlled.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I media couldn't write an accurate, professional aviation article if a gun was put to their head.

And when you combine those two together, you wonder why 35% of America thinks 9/11 was a government conspiracy (of commission or ommission). :sleep_125

That and 25% of America is just retarded.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I was on an Airbus A320 a few months back and we were cruisin at around 36,000 ft. ... the movie had just ended and I opened up my window to see a Delta Airlines 737 pass less than 500 ft above us coming the opposite direction... I could even hear his engines... I think I was the only one that saw it and realized what almost happened... except for maybe the flight crew (hopefully eh!?) .....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was on an Airbus A320 a few months back and we were cruisin at around 36,000 ft. ... the movie had just ended and I opened up my window to see a Delta Airlines 737 pass less than 500 ft above us coming the opposite direction... I could even hear his engines... I think I was the only one that saw it and realized what almost happened... except for maybe the flight crew (hopefully eh!?) .....

And you know it was 500 feet how? At 500 ft, a 737 will fill up your window quite a bit. Got an eyeball cal?

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
he was right there man... IF it was more than 500 ft. it wasn't by much --- I appreciate the skepticism though... =)