• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I'm In !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost_ttu

your 3.6 didn't hurt
icon_smile_wink.gif

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt...."

gsavy10

I work for the Navy as an independent contractor. I guess I am going to have to ask a buddy of mine for a huge favor and see if I can meet with his boss. He's a 3 Star Admiral AND a former aviator
icon_smile_wink.gif
. It's a longshot, but it's worth a try.

WFU2USN

Gsavy,

Do you work w/ a particular company as a contractor? I've got a friend from when I was active enlisted that's a contractor in DC. Just curious.

Good idea on the 3-star!

;)

Mike26

Originally posted by DanMav11
Wait, Mike, what was your Degree? Can you tell me about it? Did you enjoy it?

Dan,
My degree is in Professional Aeronautics, the degree conceits of your basic core classes, accounting, algebra, stats, macro, ect. You also take classes in aviation safety, accident investigation, aviation law, legislation and other so called professional development classes related to aviation, such as aerodynamics, meteorology, human factors in aviation, ect. It really is not a difficult degree if you are very interested in aviation, it also helped that I have a career in aviation at the time, so a lot of the classes mirrored much of the training I had already received through the Air Force. I attended college through an extended campus at Fairchild AFB. The Air Force paid for all of my school so I did not incur enormous amounts of student loans like a lot of the people who went to the main campus. It seems as though the consensus in that the main campus is overrated. I could not speak intelligently on that matter because I did not attend. If you live close to a Navy or Air Force base you would be able to attend the extended campus because chances are very good that they would offer ERAU classes and they will let civilians attend on base. Overall I really enjoyed the classes and had a good time, but it would be wise to receive other students opinions as well. Hope this helps,
Mike

DanMav11

Thanks, actually I was looking at some the same (maybe different, I think it may have been called Profiessional Pilot), at SUNY Farmingdale, but I honestly don't know yet, I just know I want to fly, I still have time; I'm only 16, but what I am really concerned about is my eyes, good enough for the AF as far as I know, but just off for the Navy. I have to see about PRK... Thanks alot though.

Adrenaline Rush

hey dan, i go to suny farmingdale which is now called Farmingdale state,, now is not a good time to estimate whether the school is good or not because it is in transition, check back in a couple years if the aviation program still exists at farmingdale

BONE77

Hey Mike, Congratz bro! That is very cool, good luck! Hey I got out of the AF last year and got a BS in pro aero like you. My kit is down in millington right now, I'll bet our kits look pretty close exept my ASTB was a 47 with 5s, lot lower than yours. I am curious, if you know at all, what do you think was your strongest aspect to your package. I got two weeks before I find out (or so they say), I was a firefighter in the AF, wonder if you being on tankers really made a difference. I sent in my achievement medal certs with the kit, did you? Thanx for the info bro (speculation or not!). Anyway best of luck to ya!

Mike26

Thanks Bone,
I really am not sure what the strongest point to my package was, I was pretty confident when I turned it in that I had a good chance but after 3 months went by I was not too sure. I had good letters of recommendation written by my supervisors, all who are pilots in the AF, one of my supervisors had been an instructor at UPT. I don't know if that really made a difference or not. I'm really not too sure if the tanker thing made that much of a difference either. Overall I think they like the prior service and that will help you. I did not send in any certs with my kit, I just listed the awards on a separate sheet of paper. Are you trying to get a pilot slot? Good luck and keep me posted, maybe you will get a class date similar to mine.
Mike

BONE77

Will do Mike,
I'm on the waiting game right now and it sucks, but I'll let ya know, I'm going for pilot but I think NFO is more realistic. Take care and good luck!
BONE

DanMav11

Adrenilane, what are they doing with SUNY Farmingdale? What other colleges offer flight programs/ Professional Pilot? That's what the Commercial Airlines wantm but I am looking into Professional Pilot, Aeronautical Engineering, and even a law/ pre-law degree...

Adrenaline Rush

well farmingdale just fired the director of operations here at the flight school, last year there was so much talk of just closing the aviation program due to the 9/11 events it didnt seem like the state was going give any money to a program that might be considered a liability, also there has been talk they will sell the program or at least the flight school to the College of Aeronautics..Other schools with a Pro Pilot Degree: Florida Tech, Embry Riddle, Jacksonville University, North Dakota University, Western Michigan University...These schools are much more expensive but are very high quality, i suggest you check them out before you go to farmingdale

and i forgot to congratulate mike, good job man,, good luck and make us proud

Status
Not open for further replies.