• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Im in Trouble Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Lots of good advice here on how to get in shape "physically" but you need to address the mental aspects of getting in shape as well. In another thread, this topic was discussed at length. Bottom line - being a military officer in any branch of service mandates that you place as much importance on your physical health and conditioning as you do every other part. Where the mind goes, the body follows. Take the steps now to make these changes to your life regardless of what you end up doing.

The Warden

OK it sounds like you're starting to get your exercise methods under control, but how's your diet? Getting rid of some of that bacon off your ass will make every aspect of the PRT easier. Imagine running with a weight strapped on your back; that's basically what you're doing now. If time is short, you might not have time to lose much weight but if you do have time, I think it would help (don't starve yourself though, just eat better).

Ive been dieting for a few months now, no fast food, no fried foods. Im down from 215 to 200. Im still trying to lose my spare tire but it's going slowly.

The Warden

I'll state the obvious that even if you do get to some semblence of a respectible PRT time, you're still not going to be where you need to be, and especially not by the end of July or sometime in August. In the end, if you want to do this, you're going to be in for a lot of pain at even the Navy's kinder-gentler OCS. I got $5 says you overtrain and get shin splints in about 2-3 weeks? Good luck either way, getting put in or putting yourself in, these types of situations suck. BTW, you wouldn't happen to own a pair of woodland utilities and run around playing airsoft would you?

Injury is what Im trying to avoid, thats why I alternate my running days. I bike when Im not running. Btw, I dont think you're refering to me. I have an airsoft pistol but I mainly use it to shoot nickels and dimes off of my apartment's bar.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Don't worry whatever weight you are going to take off for OCS, its going right back on. You'll find it after you start Candio-O phase. I'm not sure if the board knows your weight yet, I sent my PRT in with my app. packet and they came back and wanted a explanation for my wieght.

schwarti

Contributor
Pushups and situps - find out what your max is, and then do 33% of that every hour, on the hour. It'll hurt like hell for a day or two, but you'll improve FAST. I increased my max pushups by 15 in a week. And the best part is, no special equipment, no time-consuming regimen, nothing. If your max is 20, do 7 - that takes like, less than five seconds. I usually do mine when I'm watching TV or whatever.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Warden I think what everyone really means is you should just give up. You obviously have some motivation, but not enough to survive in the military. Just choose another field of work like maybe become an english teahcer. That is a very respectable profession. Theres nothing wrong with being a fat slob. You live in America its your right. So double up the twinkies and ho hos, take a minute to critique all of my grahammar mistakes, and write a cool paper.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I started at 240 and I'm down to 180. An 18 minute mile and a half was descent for me as well. I'm under 11 minutes now. Not great, but it's better than 18.

As lame as it sounds that "Fat Smash" diet worked for me to help bring the weight down. It's a tough diet, but if you want it bad enough, it'll work for you. Just search for it on Amazon or something, I think it's like $15.
As far as the running goes, I brought myself along much slower, but this program might help if you have enough time, especially since it takes your higher risk for shin splints into count.

Good luck.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Warden I think what everyone really means is you should just give up. You obviously have some motivation, but not enough to survive in the military. Just choose another field of work like maybe become an english teahcer. That is a very respectable profession. Theres nothing wrong with being a fat slob. You live in America its your right. So double up the twinkies and ho hos, take a minute to critique all of my grahammar mistakes, and write a cool paper.

I don't think that's what everyone means. If you noticed, everyone is willing to give him help because he has recognized that he has a problem and has shown the motivation to work through it. And anyone giving him a hard time about his grammar are just poking fun at him because they can.... and Brett just hates everyone. :D

So Warden, keep motivated and push hard.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I was trying to use reverse psychology. Dont you hate it when someone tells you that you cant do something? So just give up Warden. Think about that runnin your 30 minute mile fatty.

DBDubbs

Right now you're weak, accept it and use it as motivation. Everytime you want to quit, yell at yourself, call yourself a pussy, and think of all the others on this board who would kill to be in your position. Anytime I slow down when I'm working out, I do the same thing. It's as much about being mentally strong as it is about being physically strong.

Just don't run yourself into shinsplints. I did that over a year ago while training, and still can't get rid of them. It sucks.

Goodluck weakling,

:D

dbdubbs

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Just keep plugging away at the physical stuff everyday. IMO it's probably easier to get into better physical shape than it is to get generally smarter, so good on you for focusing on the academic stuff first. Now it's just a matter of pushing yourself to just go do it. What one man can do, another can do.

Crowbar

None
I'm getting the impression I dont have alot of time.

If you do have time, register for a local 5k. Then pay attention to how many kids, fat bastards, and decrepit old men beat you across the finish line. That should be a good start for motivation.

Mod note: Please do not post your OSO's/recruiter's/any third party's name on the site without their approval, especially when you couple it with their location.

cisforsmasher

pilot
When i need to lose weight fast I dont even bother with hot foods. I showed up to TBS a little on the chunky side from four weeks of bumming around Europe. So my diet consisted of a yogurt with a little granola for breakfast, a small sandwich for lunch, a sandwich and salad for dinner. In between when I started getting really hungry I would grab a couple triscuits. Make sure you use a hearty whole wheat bread as that will keep you feeling fuller longer. I ended up losing ten pounds in about a month without going overboard on exercise. With regards to working out during commercials, alternate pushups and situps too. Be careful as motivation can be easily lost doing this.

That plebe summer exercise program is pretty good for beginners (http://www.usna.edu//PEScheds/workouts.htm). When I was a detailer I saw people come in some pretty sad shape and by the end of plebe summer be close to passing. They also didn't have the benefit of recovery time because of stress. None of us are experts on the subject matter so if you are super die hard, you may want to think about getting a personal trainer. That way they can also keep you honest and motivate you. The biggest shortfall that most people have is the mental game. Everything is a mental exercise, ESPECIALLY RUNNING! Do not allow yourself to quit. You can tell your body to keep going. If you feel yourself slowing down a bit, at least keep the shuffle going and once that second wind hits, pick it back up.
As I start to run slow, I like to think to myself "don't be a pussy, pick it up you pansy" or "the faster you run, the sooner the pain will be over." A little self admonition never hurt anyone. Don't get discouraged, keep your chin up, fight hard, and give it your all. Whatever you do, DO NOT MAKE EXCUSES FOR YOURSELF! Get out there and do some PT!

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
You need a structured program. I don't think you'll get there without some outside influence.

Agreed. I was in need of getting back into shape after surgery, and it really helped me to sit down one night and focus only on getting a program planned to the T. Others might not need that much structure, but I do, and am just using an example.

http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/toughworkouts.htm
The above link will take you to a core/upper body calisthenic program which I have been using a modifying for the past three weeks. The benefits have been incredible. I do the core 7x a week, and mix upper and lower body on alternating days.

Also, with advice from his webpage, various internet pages, and a mustang from my unit, I've been doing a lot of interval running, which I have also noticed phenomenal gains. (Do a search on here for VO2 max, that thread has some good info, and researching the internet will help you out too, they all tie in to interval running)

The bottom line though is in your position 3x a week isn't going to cut it. Every other day should be a big cardio workout day. Once you drop lbs EVERYTHING will be easier.

Push yourself each week, but not unrealistically. Taking at least 3:00 off a run time and doubling everything else won't be easy. However, once you find a good momentum you'll start noticing bigger and bigger gains.

I would recommend you find a good starting point where you're getting a tough workout, but not physically dying, then set a goal to do 10% more or faster each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.