• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Im in Trouble Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Warden

Ok, so I dont post often but I thought that you guys could help me with this problem. Throughout the application and testing process I was aiming for SWO but decided to put SNA and NFO on there for shits and giggles. Well I got a call from my recruiter last week that said I had my pro-rec for all three. Don't ask me how. Problem being, I was so focused on the academic portions of the application that I have been neglecting the physical. This became very obvious when I attempted my first PRT, I ran an 18 minute mile and a half, maxed out at 25 push ups and 20 sit ups. Go on and call me a wimp (or worse), I deserve it. I'm 24 and have never been athletic or really all that fit. I'm 5'11", 200lbs and got through on a 19% body fat waiver. In the week since my first PRT I took a minute and 10 seconds off of my 1.5--now down to high 16's. I can make it full jog to about the 1/2 mile mark and then I want to die. I think with practice I can really get the run down, but the situps and push ups are what scare me. With the run, it's the pain and exhaustion that slow me down, but with the other two it feels like my muscles just quit. With the pushups I begin to shake and spasm. With the situps, my brain is telling my abdomen to contract, but it's not responding. Im working out with my recruiter 3 days a week, and doing my own thing the other 4. I guess I'm looking for tips on how to get the numbers up and the times down, but what I really need is for you guys to call me a fat ass, to get me motivated, and tell me this is an opportunity most people would kill for and to not let this slip for something so simple.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Here's a decent workout program that helps kids get ready for Plebe Summer at the Academy. It won't make you a rockstar but it'll help get you into a decent amount of shape. Regardless if you use this program or not, find some set regimen to follow as that'll help so much more than just random pt.

I think you highlighted the biggest thing in your post, you just don't seem to have excercised that much previously. It's gonna hurt, but just keep pushing.

http://www.usna.edu/PEScheds/HPL8Week.htm

Gitr

Beyond the plebe summer workout, check out stuff from Stu Smith.

As far as your push-ups and sit-ups, that is sheer repetition.

For PU: Do them often. If you are watching TV, do 10 pushups during commercials. Whenever you think about a push-up, do 10. The more you do the better. With pushups, the quickest way to get better is to do more. Also, don't stop in the middle, just keep going as fast as you can.

For SU: Develop a rhythm. Breathing is key. Situps are not speed exercises, try to start at a goal of 10 every thirty seconds, take a minute break, and get whatever number you got the first time again.

Keep getting after it, there's no way if you're young that you should have a problem with this stuff

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
You need a structured program. I don't think you'll get there without some outside influence.
If you are serious, I can help put you (via your recruiter) onto a fitness program here at the base that will get your bubble-gum ass into shape by the Fall.
NAS and Mayport have excellent gym facilities with classes like Pilates, Fitness Enhancement Programs, and the like.
They are total management programs (diet monitoring, etc). If I were you, I'd seriously look into this. You do not want to show up to training out of shape.
Good luck.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Also, check runnerworld.com for running advice. Since you have little running experience you are prime for shin splints and other injuries. To help, I would ditch your car for short errands and ride a bike instead. Its a good cardio with little to no impact. Goodluck fat ass (you wanted us to).

The Warden

phrogdriver said:
Hey grammar Nazi, wouldn't that be "Class of '05," short for "2005,"and "Champs," as in the plural of "champ," not the possessive, "Champ's."

How much time to you have to shape up?

I realized putting this on here was an invitation for scrutiny. 05' or '05, that's mathematical and I'm exempt from that. Champs vs Champ's, the apostrophe is an acceptable of creating truncated words, especially as it pertains to internet short hand. I was given a schedule of 2 weeks, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays to work with my recruiter at 0600 at NAS Jax. I'm getting the impression I dont have alot of time. I figure maybe to the end of July but I think my recruiter is trying to get an extension to August.

The Warden

Beyond the plebe summer workout, check out stuff from Stu Smith.

As far as your push-ups and sit-ups, that is sheer repetition.

For PU: Do them often. If you are watching TV, do 10 pushups during commercials. Whenever you think about a push-up, do 10. The more you do the better. With pushups, the quickest way to get better is to do more. Also, don't stop in the middle, just keep going as fast as you can.

For SU: Develop a rhythm. Breathing is key. Situps are not speed exercises, try to start at a goal of 10 every thirty seconds, take a minute break, and get whatever number you got the first time again.

Keep getting after it, there's no way if you're young that you should have a problem with this stuff

This is good gouge, I will start doing the PU's during commercials, I'll try to make a challenge out of it or something. My situp form is terrible, I dont have the abdomen strength to curl my back and keep it that way. I allow my head to rest on the deck and this creates more work. Thanks for the advice.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
This is good gouge, I will start doing the PU's during commercials, I'll try to make a challenge out of it or something. My situp form is terrible, I dont have the abdomen strength to curl my back and keep it that way. I allow my head to rest on the deck and this creates more work. Thanks for the advice.

If you dont have the strength for the curl ups, work on leg lifts first.

The Warden

You need a structured program. I don't think you'll get there without some outside influence.
If you are serious, I can help put you (via your recruiter) onto a fitness program here at the base that will get your bubble-gum ass into shape by the Fall.
NAS and Mayport have excellent gym facilities with classes like Pilates, Fitness Enhancement Programs, and the like.
They are total management programs (diet monitoring, etc). If I were you, I'd seriously look into this. You do not want to show up to training out of shape.
Good luck.

I'm on some decent structure now, but I feel that I would benefit from more. My recruiter mentioned the FEP program they put folks on, but said it would be hard to get on board with that since I'm still a civilian. I'm interested in some more info on this.

zachary2777

Banned
OK it sounds like you're starting to get your exercise methods under control, but how's your diet? Getting rid of some of that bacon off your ass will make every aspect of the PRT easier. Imagine running with a weight strapped on your back; that's basically what you're doing now. If time is short, you might not have time to lose much weight but if you do have time, I think it would help (don't starve yourself though, just eat better).

FLY_USMC

pilot
I'll state the obvious that even if you do get to some semblence of a respectible PRT time, you're still not going to be where you need to be, and especially not by the end of July or sometime in August. In the end, if you want to do this, you're going to be in for a lot of pain at even the Navy's kinder-gentler OCS. I got $5 says you overtrain and get shin splints in about 2-3 weeks? Good luck either way, getting put in or putting yourself in, these types of situations suck. BTW, you wouldn't happen to own a pair of woodland utilities and run around playing airsoft would you?
opcr1-24.jpg

FSF17

pilot
A few months ago, my numbers where about where yours are. If you work hard at it, they'll improve a lot in no time. I couldn't even run a mile and a half six months ago... now I can run it in 11:00 pretty easily. and I've more than tripled the number of pushups and situps I can do in only a few months. Good luck.

Fatass.:D

stepintoliquid

Ok, so I dont post often but I thought that you guys could help me with this problem. Throughout the application and testing process I was aiming for SWO but decided to put SNA and NFO on there for shits and giggles. Well I got a call from my recruiter last week that said I had my pro-rec for all three. Don't ask me how. Problem being, I was so focused on the academic portions of the application that I have been neglecting the physical. This became very obvious when I attempted my first PRT, I ran an 18 minute mile and a half, maxed out at 25 push ups and 20 sit ups. Go on and call me a wimp (or worse), I deserve it. I'm 24 and have never been athletic or really all that fit. I'm 5'11", 200lbs and got through on a 19% body fat waiver. In the week since my first PRT I took a minute and 10 seconds off of my 1.5--now down to high 16's. I can make it full jog to about the 1/2 mile mark and then I want to die. I think with practice I can really get the run down, but the situps and push ups are what scare me. With the run, it's the pain and exhaustion that slow me down, but with the other two it feels like my muscles just quit. With the pushups I begin to shake and spasm. With the situps, my brain is telling my abdomen to contract, but it's not responding. Im working out with my recruiter 3 days a week, and doing my own thing the other 4. I guess I'm looking for tips on how to get the numbers up and the times down, but what I really need is for you guys to call me a fat ass, to get me motivated, and tell me this is an opportunity most people would kill for and to not let this slip for something so simple.

hey just curious, which naval oso are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.