• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I'm going to a helo squadron...advice?

Logico

I'm at NIOBC right now and got orders to a helo squadron. I'm looking for all the advice I can get from other intel O's. What parts of the NIOBC curriculum do you think will be most applicable? Should I begin studying up on other stuff....if so...what?

I'll be going to an SH-60 / HH-60 squadron.

Also, I'm trying to get in touch with my counterpart at the squadron but he is currently deployed on the carrier. I've tried several e-mail addresses but no response. I'm interested in finding out if I will be sent to the boat after I graduate in Dec. At that point the carrier will be coming up on 4 months deployed on a scheduled 6 1/2 month deployment. Who should I ask to get this info? I need to make plans for my family (whether they will stay in Norfolk or head to Jax immediately with me).

Thanks

MasterBates

Wow! Helo squadrons with Intel O's!

We share 1 for the whole wing (4 fleet, 1 reserve, 1 RAG).

From a pilot standpoint, you would likely meet the boat in its next port. Not sure for Intel.

JAX housing market is flat right now. Good time to buy here. Just keep in mind that HS is moving to Norfolk sometime in the future. Not sure how soon.

If you have any JAX questions, feel free to PM or post.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yes, HS East has had Intel O's for about 5 years now. We used to have them about 10 years before that.

Logico: I know the 2 East coast squadrons that are deployed and I am in contact with one of their intel officers, and I know how to reach the other. PM me with which squadron you are going to and I can get a message out to them.

I am not too familiar with the NIOBC syllabus, but I know someone who used to teach there. From what I gathered, it is all so basic, it won't be too much help to you, other than an introduction.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I'm at NIOBC right now and got orders to a helo squadron. I'm looking for all the advice I can get from other intel O's. What parts of the NIOBC curriculum do you think will be most applicable? Should I begin studying up on other stuff....if so...what?
There are about six things that a spy can do that genuinely helps the squadron out - here's a brief summary:

1) Tell them about things that can hurt them: On deployment or in exercises, this means adequately knowing the threat and ably briefing the threat. (And those are different by the way - you can suck at one and excel at the other, making you useless. You need to be good at both.) For you, it will mean largely forgetting about strat SAMs and many of the other things TACAIR guys care about. Become a "one-stop shopping" resource for MANPADs and small arms/AAA - know this stuff cold. And I mean really get into it - don't just know the parametrics (max range, altitude, etc.) - know how they are used and employed. This means getting on the MSIC site on SIPR or JWICS and really studying these systems. Get hands-on time with them; I've fired Stinger and SA-14/16 simulators several times, and knowing what an operator has to do to really make them work gives you tremendous insight. Take any and every opportunity to talk to subject matter experts in these fields across the community. Find relevant conferences and beg/bribe Ops to send you.

Know your Powerpoint. I've joked about this before, but if you can quickly and easily format data in presentable forms, then you'll be ahead of the power curve.

Practice your briefing / public speaking skills. If you are uncomfortable in front of an audience, you are in trouble - work on it. Knowng your subject also helps here - I've seen way too many spies fall to pieces and look stupid because they couldn't even answer basic questions about the very material they were briefing. Sometimes people will throw you a fastball just to see if you know what you are talking about; if you park enough of these fastballs early, then people will trust your judgement. If you fumble, then it takes a long time to recover. Your ultimate goal is to actually have people listen when you talk - sounds silly, but it's amazing the number of spies who tend to be ignored by the very people they are supposed to help.

2) Tell them about their targets: Know your platform's weapon and sensor systems cold. Get out the WSOM (or whatever your platform calls it) and study it; know the terminology, system capabilities and limitations. Nobody's going to ask you to fly the mission, but you are expected to understand everything the platform and its crew might be asked to perform - again, this is where I see a huge number of spies fail; they never learn about their platform. Take every opportunity you can to get to know the platform better; have someone walk you through the systems when the a/c has power on it sometime. Get a flight physical (Selected Passenger), then throw your hat in the ring for water survival so you can fly if the opportunities present themselves. When/if you do get to fly, be an information sponge. Look, listen, learn. If your platform has simulators co-located with your home station, see if you can weasel time on them - huge SA builder.

If you work ASW targets, it will become incumbent on you to become a foreign submarine expert. You've got to live, breathe, and sleep this stuff. Become the "go to guy" on foreign submarine capabilities - or at a minimum, know where to quickly and efficiently find out answers to people's questions. If you work CSAR/PR, know the mission profile and what can go right/wrong - study previous successes and failures in this area. This means having a big "Favorites" list on SIPR or JWICS so you can quickly hunt down info.

Being able to read an ATO never hurt.

3) Tell them about the world in general: In a lot of Ready Rooms, the spy might be expected to be the guy who knows what's going on in the world. North Korean nuclear test? Work the SIPR and JWICS side so you have some insight. Iraq political situtation? (Even if you are sitting at home in JAX) - know the players and what's going on. Read the MNF-I BUA (on SIPR) every day so you get a sense of what the issues are. Read the J2 Morning Brief and the Early Bird (also on SIPR...detect a theme here?) every day. I start out every morning with about 10 different SIPR/JWICS web sites that I go to for current reporting; takes about an hour, but you are expected to be the one "in the know".

4) Be a good Security Manager: This is a SLJ, but it needs to be done and can get the command in deep kimchi if you f* it up. Get a JPAS account and keep your command's security clearances in order; have background investigations initiated when necessary, have clearances forwarded where necessary. Keep a good classified accountability system - lose a piece of classified info, and your world caves in on you. Watch classified thumb drives like a hawk - they will be the death of all of us.

5) Take care of your troops: If you have IS's working for you, look out for them personally and professionally.

6) Be a good sh*t: This means being an active participant in the Ready Room. Go out drinking with the boys; don't stay home playing Dungeons and Dragons. When the ready room gets an Admin, be a part of it. You will be fundamentally different in that you are an Army of One, and the ready room environment and Japan have a lot in common - the nail that sticks up will be hammered down. This doesn't mean be a conformist, or don't be an individual - it means that a ready room functions a certain way on both a formal and informal level, and you'll have to work within those constraints and social norms. Or else you'll get hammered down....

Anyway, I don't have any helo-specific experience to share, so I hope this general stuff is of some help. Remember - Douglas S. Freeman (biographer of Lee) was once asked "What does it take to be a good leader?" He said "Know your stuff. Be a man. Take care of your men." Whatever your job happens to be - I think that about sums it up.

CDumas821

Very good post. Logico, I wish I read the forum posts last week when I was at NMITC and we could have talked face to face regarding your questions. Previous to my assignment at FITCPAC, I was the intel o for HS-14 in Atsugi, Japan.

I would like to echo the previous post and in all regards, he is right...know your short range, low altitude SAMs, MANPADS, but also know as much as you can regarding ASW. Know what countries have what platforms and how they utilize them. ONI SWORD on the SIPR side is the best resource to learn about everything ASW tactics orientated.

As far as the airframes both the SH-60F and the HH-60H will be under your perview, at the minimum know that the SH-60 is the ASW bird and the HH-60 is the CSAR bird. Better yet know that the HH-60 fires the AGM-114. To learn all about the airframes refer to the NATOPS (A1-H60CA-NFM-000 NATOPS Flight Manual Navy Model H-60F/H Aircraft). You should be able to find this on the SIPRnet (this is a huge manual that the pilots are constantly studying, if you spend most of your time on Chapter 2 - Systems, you will be in excellent shape). When you get out to the squadron you will want to get into the NATIPs for both airframes (these are the classified tactical publications for the airframes).

You will have no IS support...I'll say this again...you will have no ISs so everything that goes on security and intel related is up to you (and your department head -likely the Operations Officer). Hopefully you'll get a good turnover, if not, you can filter your questions to my email: christopher.dumas@navy.mil

A lot of people seem to think that the pointy noses are the way to go, when I was in your phase, I did too. Experience has taught me otherwise. The helo community is a very dynamic environment (particulary when considering the helo master plan, a transition you will almost certainly be a part of) given the changing nature of warfare. Congratulations and good luck!