• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I'm Being Turned Down a Chance to Rent Because I'm Military. Is This Legal?

decode

and to think, I wanted to go SWO
So I'm moving this week from Pensacola to Corpus. I was reassigned from TW-5 to 4 last minute (they needed volunteers), so I don't have a place to live yet, and I have less than a week before I report. I found a group of guys moving soon too; we figured we'd go in on a 'JO palace.'

I find this great place: 5 bedrooms, really fantastic price. I call up the Realtor listing it. He asks if I'm military. I say that I am. He says [and I'm paraphrasing], "Yeah, the guys that just moved out were military and I had a bad experience with them. So I'll look at the property this week and give you a call back, but probably not."

My question is: can he discriminate based on my being military? Thanks for your help.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So I'm moving this week from Pensacola to Corpus. I was reassigned from TW-5 to 4 last minute (they needed volunteers), so I don't have a place to live yet, and I have less than a week before I report. I found a group of guys moving soon too; we figured we'd go in on a 'JO palace.'

I find this great place: 5 bedrooms, really fantastic price. I call up the Realtor listing it. He asks if I'm military. I say that I am. He says [and I'm paraphrasing], "Yeah, the guys that just moved out were military and I had a bad experience with them. So I'll look at the property this week and give you a call back, but probably not."

My question is: can he discriminate based on my being military? Thanks for your help.

In Texas the fair housing act only says that you can't be discriminated against because of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, disability or familial status. Looks like legally he can deny you housing because you are in the military.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/crd/housing_fact.html

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PR/htm/PR.301.htm

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Legally, I don't know but I've had similar situations. There were four of us in Jax and the owner was hesitant to rent to four single guys. Another place I was at the owner had a bad experience with the previous tenants. In both situations we out forth a case of why we'd be good tenants and why we wouldn't cause any damage. Since Corpus has an abundance if SNAs passing through, people know you guys and it may be touch to convince him. My recommendation is to keep searching because even if you push it through on legal grounds, a bad owner or property manager can make life hell.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Why did he have issues with military? Was it that they didn't pay rent? Did they trash the place? Or was it "issues" like they actually expected the landlord to fix that broken outlet or leaky faucet?

If it's the former, I think your only recourse is to have your prior landlords contact this person and tell him that you left places in good condition and always paid your rent.

Realistically, a landlord can rent to whomever he wants. Do you want to start the landlord-tenant relationship by legally forcing him to rent to you? You might find it hard to get that dishwasher fixed if that's the case.

decode

and to think, I wanted to go SWO
Why did he have issues with military? Was it that they didn't pay rent? Did they trash the place? Or was it "issues" like they actually expected the landlord to fix that broken outlet or leaky faucet?

If it's the former, I think your only recourse is to have your prior landlords contact this person and tell him that you left places in good condition and always paid your rent.

Realistically, a landlord can rent to whomever he wants. Do you want to start the landlord-tenant relationship by legally forcing him to rent to you? You might find it hard to get that dishwasher fixed if that's the case.

He didn't go too far into details, but it sounds like he had a problem with them trashing the place. From the other responses, it looks like he can indeed do whatever he wants, which sucks, but that's life I suppose. Good point about not starting rent with a dude with such negative preconceptions. Thanks for the help guys.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
There's a lot of great places out there anyways do don't fret. The island is fun but be careful of hurricanes since they can come through there and you're only a couple feet from sea level.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From the other responses, it looks like he can indeed do whatever he wants, which sucks, but that's life I suppose. Good point about not starting rent with a dude with such negative preconceptions.
Even when you prevail in a discrimination legal action of any type, you end up losing... one way or another. Win, and your Landlord becomes a tyrant!:(
BzB

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Did you ask anything about who these guys were? A bunch of 19 year olds living away from home the first time or something like that?

Either way, I wouldn't give the guy my business. I also wouldn't expect this kind of stuff to happen in Texas of all places.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Did you ask anything about who these guys were? A bunch of 19 year olds living away from home the first time or something like that?

Either way, I wouldn't give the guy my business. I also wouldn't expect this kind of stuff to happen in Texas of all places.

Apparently you've never been to Corpus...
Pickle

jtmedli

pilot
Is it legal? Maybe or maybe not. But DO NOT rent from this person. He or She will make your life a living hell.

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
Concur with the above. Doesn't sound like someone I would want to do business with.

Just slightly off topic: Just a reminder to all who rent, PLEASE get a renter's insurance policy. It's relatively inexpensive and it covers the replacement of your posessions should the residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse or doghouse you are renting have a catastrophic loss of some sort.

Ok. Nuff said.