• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IGNORANCE is BLISS

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... And speaking of VA-195 (again); they had one pilot (basically a really good guy with the last name of "Bliss". and "what you mean "guy"? --please see: "TRUE LIES ... the lighter side of commercial air" for that answer)

On a training hop in ... ??? ... 1974??, out off the west side of Luzon, young LT Bliss decided to use up the remaining 20MM in his A-7E's M61A1 after returning from the target @ Scarborough Shoals.

Fine. Dandy. Good thinking. Save the "ORDIES" some work. What a TIGER !!! The only problem-o was that he decided to victimize a "rock" off the mouth of Subic Bay. BIG MISTAKE !!! The "rock" fought back !!! One of the ricocheting, errant rounds decided to return "home" and made a nice, neat hole in in the A-7's radome, destroying the radar ... and the LT's pride. For the rest of the cruise, this particular A7 sported a radome with a BANDAGE painted on it (over the nose), as in "ouch !! owww-ey!!"

And the LT? Well, with a last name of "BLISS", what would you expect???

He was forever after known as "IGGY";
and truly in his case ....
"Ignorance" was "BLISS". :)
A-7_at_8.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Holy crap! The probabilities of that happening are astronomically low... that's incredible. Funny story, thanks!

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Fly Navy said:
Holy crap! The probabilities of that happening are astronomically low...

I'll bet the LT was saying the same thing when he heard the round plink off the radar ... "But Skipper, what were the chances of that ..."

Oops! :eek:

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I suppose its better that it plinked off the radar and didn't go in to the intake. Even though both are probably just as costly to repair.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Godspeed said:
I suppose its better that it plinked off the radar and didn't go in to the intake. Even though both are probably just as costly to repair.

One won't make you eject.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Godspeed said:

Actually, it didn't "plink off"; it made a hole through-and-through. "IGGY" was lucky it wasn't an explosive round --- or that it didn't go through HIM.

The costliest, most trying part of the whole experience was medical. It took "IGGY's" buttocks over a week to heal properly.
This is a picture of "IGGY" at his new job while recuperating --- inspecting for "hang-fires" with the ship's Marine Detachment....
Gun%20to%20head.jpg

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where did that come from and kind of bold words for a guy without any wings on his chest.
so does that make you a squirell can fly but no wings?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
You'll get Prowlers if there's any justice in the world.
Yeah, come to papa! It always kind of surprises me when the kiddies lash out at the NFOs. In my world, the pilots are the useless douche bags. Go figure.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
YourGirlsNext said:
What do penguins and NFOs have in common?
They both have wings, but can not fly.
Ooohhh ... not true, Grasshopper. I occasionally let my B/N's fly the bounce pattern. It allowed me to nap while they got an "X" in the box for me. In fact, I would occasionally let the B/N do the start, taxi, and take-off just to mess with the ground crews' heads. Enclosed (below) is a pix of me and my B/N in ship #524. He is attempting to take-off and the ground crew is trying to restrain us as my B/N forgot to unfold the wings -- I was napping and missed most of the excitement ... He was so crazy !!
A-6%20on%20deck.jpg

----- We were always playing tricks like this on the men ... Great fun !! :)

updatba.gif
BOMBARDIER/NAVIGATOR BALL !!

USN99

USN99
None
A cut above

A4sForever
Your humor is priceless. All the A-G guys were just a cut above all others in the Airwing. They just had all their stuff all in one sock and did not need to have their egos reaffirmed at the expense of any and all around them. They always had the wider vision and broader perspective; they always knew what the Task Force was doing, more than just their slice of the action. They were just good, they knew it, 'nuff said.

Fly safe, dude.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Brett327 said:
Yeah, come to papa! It always kind of surprises me when the kiddies lash out at the NFOs. In my world, the pilots are the useless douche bags. Go figure.

Brett

Brett,

We'll just feed him to "Otis" Mueller or "Jelly" Gamache. Should be fun to watch the blood fly.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
YourGirlsNext said:
What do penguins and NFOs have in common?

They both have wings, but can not fly.
YourGirlsNext - to do what? Kick you in the balls? Stick to boys - you'll get more of what you really want that way.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USN99 said:
A4sForever
Your humor is priceless. All the A-G guys were just a cut above all others in the Airwing. They just had all their stuff all in one sock and did not need to have their egos reaffirmed at the expense of any and all around them. They always had the wider vision and broader perspective; they always knew what the Task Force was doing, more than just their slice of the action. They were just good, they knew it, 'nuff said.

Fly safe, dude.
Here here!

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
Brett,

We'll just feed him to "Otis" Mueller or "Jelly" Gamache. Should be fun to watch the blood fly.
Jelly, what a great guy, but he is some kind of machine. Personifies the "velvet hammer." What do you know about him and the supposed traffic accident on the 1355-D?

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.