• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

aslam

I hear that IFS is now mandatory for all SNA with no flight hours after OCS before reporting to API. Does anyone know if IFS can be completed at your home of record or does it have to be done in Pensacola? I am from CA so if possible I would like to return while completeing the program before reporting back to Pensacola for API.

ASLAM.

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
Aslam - My boyfriend is currently at OCS and has been told that IFS will now occur in the Pensacola area. Hope that helps!

aslam

Dammit.

Oh well, that was the information I was looking for just hoping for a different response. Thanks Hartmans girl

ASLAM.

Kathy

Reservist Wife
Contributor
Trust me - I was hoping for a different response too!
icon_smile.gif

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I did IFS (it was called FIP (Flight Indoctrination Program) then) two years ago in my hometown. I was a senior in college, completed PLC JR's and SR's, and had to sign a six month extension to my contract to take it. I would have MUCH rather have taken it here in P'cola. You get an opportunity to see the "lay of the land" and an idea of how the Class C airspace works around here. I think it would be invaluable taken here if you're going to Whiting or Sherman field.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
You will take it in the P'cola area. ie P'cola or Eglin (Ft Walton Beach)

Dave

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
I did IFS after graduation/commissioning at college. We went to a local flight school 5 days a week and it took about 5 weeks to complete the program. Granted I was in the test pool for ROTC grads so it could be different this year.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry let me clarify.

If you are an ocs grad, you will complete IFS in the P'cola area.

Dave

aslam

EODDave, thanks. That's what I was trying to find out. I'm coming from CA. Does that mean that I will be considered TDY during IFS & API? I figure that the Navy won't move me until I start primary. Can you shed any light?

Thanks,
ASLAM.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
We had that topic come up a couple times while I was in API. The Navy guys only qualified as TDY UNTIL completion of API and orders to Primary. Marines qualify as PCS.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Guys,

Am I hearing all of this right? IFS is mandatory? I had no clue what IFS was until I did some research after reading this forum!!! And I thought I have been on this website for quite some time. So, I take it that IFS is mandatory between OCS graduation and API, which takes up 60 days. I guess it is a good thing to have a familiarity before going to API ( I thought what we will be learning in API is to get familiar with airframes, and Flight Regulations. It is now my understanding that this is the duty of IFS?) Then, what does API cover that IFS doesn't? (Other than the military aspect of flying).

Does anyone know why this ISN'T on the pipeline diagram that John has posted on this website? This must be a very new thing. I was reading a forum from 03-2002 and it was talking about a "lottery" to get into IFS.

Thanks in advance for all of the info.
Dustin

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Do Marine SNAs have to do IFS between API and Primary as well?

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Another question.

WHY aren't BDCP'ers allowed to complete the IFS before OCS?? I have a 3.5 month break between college graduation and OCS date. That exceeds the 60 days allotted to complete 25 days. I think I will double check with my recruiter on the status of this. Thanks for the gouge.

Dustin

tali264

Hey D_mac, if your recruiter gives you the go-ahead with doing IFS before OCS let me know....that would be great for me also!

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I'm almost positive Marines will do IFS in Quantico upon completion of TBS. I'm guessing that it is BECOMING mandatory. Col. White's (CO of MATSG in P'cola) goal is to have everyone (Marines) through IFS before starting API. I'm not sure if that includes SNFO's or not though. I don't know the story with the Navy SNA's either.

Status
Not open for further replies.