• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ifs

PCHomerun_4

I heard something about Introductory Flight Screening is done before API. I've just now heard about this, can anyone explain? I'm sure it's not a long process, I'm just a little curious. And What if you already have a ppl?

PURower

pilot
If you already have a Private then you don't do IFS. IFS is something like 25 hours geared towards getting you to solo. Obviously if you have your PPL then you have already accomplished this. You are correct that IFS is accomplished prior to API. The guys i knew that did IFS did it anywhere from Pensacola Regional to Mobile. Hope that helps

USMC_NA

You might as well do it, cause it's easy and fun, plus you'll get the hours. I made a lot of friends during IFS, which can be pretty important once you start training.

i heard that it was created because people were making it through api and then finding out that they cant handle flying in primary

PCHomerun_4

I believe that's correct. Ifs was created because the military was spending money on student pilots and they dropped out of flight school. Ifs is just a weeding out process, from what I understand. I'm working on my ppl now, and I was just curious about ifs. Thanks for the info. Does ifs take place in the long wait for primary?

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
I believe that's correct. Ifs was created because the military was spending money on student pilots and they dropped out of flight school. Ifs is just a weeding out process, from what I understand. I'm working on my ppl now, and I was just curious about ifs. Thanks for the info. Does ifs take place in the long wait for primary?

No. IFS is done before youre even eligible to class up for API. From what I have heard just recently, everyone must now do IFS in the Pensacola area (unless of course you already have your PPL at check-in). I think USNA studs still complete IFS at school.

Oh, and BTW, ALL of flight school is a weeding out process ;)

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
I have also heard it said that IFS will now begin to affect your NSS. Don't ask me how much; I don't know that much about it, but study a little so you don't cut off Delta on final like my IFS partner did.

STLEngineer

pilot
I belive the cut-off is if you have had a solo flight to your credit, therefore Private Pilots don't get to take part in IFS.

For Pilots, IFS is 25 hours, you have to Solo by 15 hours. They also want you to do a "ghost" cross country where your civilian instructor sits there and doesn't say anything (but makes sure you don't run off the end of the runway).
SNFO's have about 13.5 hours, and don't solo. They focus a little more on navagation and "goggle" type work. In the future, the SNFO's are supposed to get the full 25 hours the pilots get.
You also have to take the FAA Private Pilot Practice test and pass it with an 80%. You get 2 shots at that.

Academy grads do IFS while in school
Marines can do it prior or post TBS in Quantico
Everyone else does it at Pensacola

I believe there are about 5 schools in the Pensacola area, of which I know them by location:
Milton, Pensacola, Eglin AFB, Mobile and Destin

All are FAR Part 141 Schools run by civilians.

I just did my first solo today out of Duke Field at Eglin AFB :D , it was a lot of fun except for the T-34's doing formation pattern work and making me extend my downwinds. It seems like a really good program as it gives guys like me to get their feet "wet" before primary. Also it cuts into the waiting time during A-Pool (you get to do something productive).

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
No. IFS is done before youre even eligible to class up for API. Oh, and BTW, ALL of flight school is a weeding out process ;)

yes... IFS is designed to determine if you have the basic skills necessary to succeed at flight school. If you show up and cant land the airplane, dont expect to move on to API and Primary. they assume that those capable of picking up a PPL have the necessary skills.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have also heard it said that IFS will now begin to affect your NSS. Don't ask me how much; I don't know that much about it, but study a little so you don't cut off Delta on final like my IFS partner did.

This is (still) the most retarded idea, but it keeps coming up on here. I'll have to find out if there's any truth to this rumor.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Off topic, but I love the avatar, Fezz. I can't get that song out of my head.
Step one...cut a hole in a box.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not if he doesn't tell them he has a ppl. We had several guys that had them and still did it. They just didn't say anything about it.

Integrity violation is a great way to end a career before it begins. This is a stupid idea and woe be unto them who are caught in a lie.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
skidkidQuote:
Originally Posted by balls
Not if he doesn't tell them he has a ppl. We had several guys that had them and still did it. They just didn't say anything about it.

Integrity violation is a great way to end a career before it begins. This is a stupid idea and woe be unto them who are caught in a lie.

Yeah...I was going to go with "Then they are scumbags..." but that works too.