• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Question

massman09

Hey All, just hoping maybe someone out there has some knowledge or direction for me...

I'm in NROTC and graduate/get commissioned in May -- with a solid 6 month wait before starting TBS in November. Does anyone know how plausible it would be for me to arrange doing IFS at home (in MA) before beginning TBS?

I know that this is possible, but I've also heard that the Marine Corps prefers having everyone do IFS down in Quantico (and since I'm not getting paid before TBS, I would be going after). Obviously, in my case however, it would be a more efficient use of time if I could knock out IFS in my initial waiting period.

Can someone tell me who to contact to inquire about this? The officers I have spoken to aren't sure who I should seek out.

Also, if the Marine Corps doesn't agree to fund my IFS course up here, and I decided to pursue a private pilots license (on my own), would I then be exempt from IFS all together?

Thanks a lot for any info.
Semper Fi.

batman527

Banned
A word of caution about the Private Pilot Certificate. I spent something like 8,500$ aquiring my PPC. I don't think that I have to point out that this is rather spendy by for most anything by most people's standards. So, do you think skipping IFS is worth that much money? If so, go for it. I know you could probably do it cheaper than I did (my flying was done over the course of one semester at UND, an institution known for bleeding you financially), but still, look at 120$/hr. for the plane, plus the cost of the fuel you use, plus upwards of 40$/hr. for the instructor, and the cost of all the gear you'll need to buy... this bill runs high quickly. Just my two "sense" on the issue.

Raptor2216

I do know that you are allowed to complete IFS at your home of record. However, that is about all I can say for sure. I wanted to complete IFS in san diego and I talked to my OSO about it. He double checked with his CO and relayed to me that I was good to go. Unfortunately, I had to deal with some personal issues and was thus unable to pursue it any further.

With that said, the best person to contact is your OSO or just a local OSO if you don't currently have one( I don't know how things work with ROTC). If that fails then call up someone in charge of IFS down in Pcola and go on from there.

If you do earn a PPL on your own then yes, you will be exempt from IFS. However, I would reccommend doing IFS prior to starting TBS and get paid for it. I did just that and i'm trying to finish up all the dual hours I need for a private right now. Hopefully, i'll be able to finish up all my solo hours on the weekends during TBS and complete my private before I leave quantico. Goodluck.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
What they're doing now is bringing you to TBS sooner and putting you through before you pick up. Lots of guys are doing this, and it seems to be working pretty well. You can do the PPl thing, and its a good experience, but like was mentioned above it is expensive and not necessary. If you've got the financial means, go for it. Its not something that you have to do or that will necessarily help you. You get 25 free hours at IFS, at a cost of almost $5k of the Marine Corps' money. The schools are excellent and you will learn a lot. I dont know that they are allowing people to do the at home IFS thing anymore. Something about insurance or some student getting killed, I've heard. It might be possible, but not likely. Ask your OSO if he can look into it.
As for $120 for the plane, Danielson... you got raped, my friend. Thats steep even by California standards, which is where I did the bulk of my flying. The average I've encountered for a 172 is between $75 and $90.

Raptor2216

scotty008 said:
You can do the PPl thing, and its a good experience, but like was mentioned above it is expensive and not necessary. If you've got the financial means, go for it. Its not something that you have to do or that will necessarily help you.

As for $120 for the plane, Danielson... you got raped, my friend. Thats steep even by California standards, which is where I did the bulk of my flying. The average I've encountered for a 172 is between $75 and $90.

To finish up the PPL after IFS, you need an additional 15 houts of training. The type of training will vary depending on quickly you finish up your IFS syllabus and use the "extra" hours. In my case, I had about 5 hours to burn and I used that for dual XC time. I would have used it for IFR and night flying but things came up. So, after finishing up, I needed 2.5hrs of instrument flying, 3 hours of night flying and another 8.4hrs of solo time.

I agree on daniel son getting raped. They ripped you off good. Here in bay area, you can get a 172 for $85/hr wet. However, after having flown a piper, cessna's come off looking like the Honda's of the GA world where a piper ranks up there with something like a Lexus.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
P_ubhi18 said:
However, after having flown a piper, cessna's come off looking like the Honda's of the GA world where a piper ranks up there with something like a Lexus.

Good call... The Piper is definitely a step up from the 172. I recently got my hands on an arrow, which was no less than badass. Unfortunately for me, being 6'4" 215 lbs, the cessna has much more to offer in terms of space. the second door is nice too. Nothing is quite as odd as trying to cram into a cherokee with a 260 lb flight instructor for a dual XC... especially when the dude starts to sweat.
Anyway, IFS is a good deal overall. All you do is fly, which makes it much easier to learn. I worked towards my PPL in college, and was largely limited due to time and $$. This resulted in frequent gaps in my flight schedule, which in turn led to more flights being required. As much as I'm sure the flight school loved that, it sucked. Like Pubhi said, your wait for API starts after you graduate TBS... this means that you will be picking up at the same time as the guys who got to skip IFS. While you might miss out on a month or two of BAH and the beach, it gives you some time to recover from the rigors (haha) of the POI. Either way you go, the end result will be the same... good luck with everything.

batman527

Banned
scotty008 said:

Oh yes, it's rape. My local FBO has no qualms about giving it to you sideways. I guess I thought this was typical of most FBO's, I'm glad to hear that it's not. God, for $75 I'd have a thousand more hours by now. Thanks Scotty.;)

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
P_ubhi18 said:
However, after having flown a piper, cessna's come off looking like the Honda's of the GA world where a piper ranks up there with something like a Lexus.

But, when it comes to climbing, the arrow suckS! I did my complex training in an arrow so most flights were just patterns so I wasnt a big fan. Im sure its pretty nice once at cruise.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
P_ubhi18 said:

Oh absolutely, I've flown both and I'm way way way more of a fan of Piper's product.

You guys think $120.00 an hour for a 172 is expensive, Try $135.00 an hour for the same airplane. Oh by the way these airplans I am talking about are in south Louisiana and are all thirty year old backet cases.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
That actually doesn't sound too far off from what the prices are down at Pensacola Regional...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jamnww said:
That actually doesn't sound too far off from what the prices are down at Pensacola Regional...

That place has been running a racket for a while. Absolutely terrible prices compared to the other local airports. I refused to ever do business with them.

UORBulldog

Ifs

Just talked to my OSO, and to echo what a poster said earlier, I'll be checking into TBS a couple months early to do IFS this fall.

Raptor2216

UOR,

You'll have a good time but don't get used to it because TBS is a swift kick in the jewels in comparison.

Nomar116

pilot
Soo...what if I'm not a Marine but still looking into completing IFS in my home town? Its my understanding that IFS has become a real bottle neck and this is a very good idea.

I'm in NROTC and our LT was looking into this when she got shipped off to Iraq with her other EA6B buddies. I would like to pick up the ball on this and try and complete the arrangements. Apparently the Navy foots the bill if they're properly certified (??)