• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS>Primary

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
My personal experience, still being in IFS and not yet in Primary:
Before IFS: API books make 50% sense
After IFS ground school: API books make 80% sense

seems like it helped me understand material.

You're reading API books before IFS? Huh, hadn't thought of that one. Now that I've thought about it, I'll pass . . .

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
IFS helped me A LOT! Being able to have 100 + landing really helped me understand the simple concept of power for altitude, attitude for airspeed. You'd be surprised at the grades that you'll get in Primary if you can nail the landings early on.

I agree with the above. Although nothing other than the T-34 can help with aircraft feel IFS gave me an incredible site picture on final approach. Not the best landings ever, but showing your onwing and other instructors that you have safe and proficient landings will pay huge dividends (especially early on). It makes the flying more enjoyable for all involved. Just be prepared to drop any bad habbits developed in IFS.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
One more thing, THERE IS NO NEED TO STUDY AHEAD FOR IFS. You will be cramming when you get there because of the nature of the ground school (mine was done in 4 days), but again it is a civilian run program. Enjoy the free flight time. On the other hand I know at least 5 people who have DORed out of the IFS school I attended. Mainly being that they did not feel confident/comfortable flying an airplane. I know very few SNAs that were actually attrited when they wanted to be there and were willing to put in the effort. Instructors see that desire.

By the way anyone on here familiar with the name Rocky? That was my instructor.

UMichfly

pilot
None
One more thing, THERE IS NO NEED TO STUDY AHEAD FOR IFS. You will be cramming when you get there because of the nature of the ground school (mine was done in 4 days), but again it is a civilian run program. Enjoy the free flight time. On the other hand I know at least 5 people who have DORed out of the IFS school I attended. Mainly being that they did not feel confident/comfortable flying an airplane. I know very few SNAs that were actually attrited when they wanted to be there and were willing to put in the effort. Instructors see that desire.

By the way anyone on here familiar with the name Rocky? That was my instructor.

Rocky is on here actually...and I'm sure he'll check in with a "RFR" for you shortly ;).

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Would love to hear from him and tell him about the wonders of RFR trim in the T-34. How many Quarters did he charge you?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Got 6 points taken away from my NSS about a month prior to finishing by Mr. Bellcurve in Advanced. We had 4 rockstars graduate right before a bunch of us and literally what was one day XX was the next day XX-6 which blows.
And you are still a Hornet pilot.....that sucks.

Not to thread jack, but how much of the 11-217 (Air Force Instrument Manual) am I going to have to dump when I leave here?
Hint.....when you get to out of Oklahoma, never again mention, quote, or reference and AF manual.

FlyinRock

Rfr

Would love to hear from him and tell him about the wonders of RFR trim in the T-34. How many Quarters did he charge you?
Yep I'm here, still hollering RFR, and "ka ching". Still have studs that dont want to fly with me for whatever reason until they actually give it a go. Then I hear them ask for more flights with me. Can't please 'em all.
Pressure stays on to turn out good basic students and I'll do the very best I can as long as I am still instructing.
Its always a pleasure to hear of studs that are making it all work, right thru their wings. Makes me proud as hell to have been part of it.
Semper Fi