• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS location

vaportrail

I was reading up on IFS and was noticing a pretty decent wait time from OCS grad to IFS to API. After I did a search, I noticed it could be anywhere from 2-4 months to 2-4 weeks. My question is do you have to live in P-cola or Quantico during this wait? Ideally, I would like to live in Texas and stash my BAH, but is this possible?
PS., why is it you can have a previously awarded PPL from any random school, but you can't attend an FAA pilot school in Texas, or anywhere else for IFS? Seems contradictory.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
If you get to NASP before June you could wait a week. After June and it could be 4 months. Yes you will have to live in PCola while you wait, unless you can get stashed somewhere else, which I would not expect.
They used to do IFS at pilot schools near the NROTC units, but they stopped that and centralized it so they can have more control over it. I think they are also getting ride of it in quantico, but don't quote me on that. Also, you don't get your PPL in IFS. You can attend a pilot school in texas and get your PPL, you just need to pay for it.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
I doubt they are getting rid of IFS in Quantico. Where would Marine SNA and SNFO do it? Pensacola area can barely handle all of the Navy and Coastie IFS students.

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
They're sending some of the TBS-complete Marines to Pensacola for IFS this summer, supposedly because Quantico is full.

Heloanjin

pilot
PS., why is it you can have a previously awarded PPL from any random school, but you can't attend an FAA pilot school in Texas, or anywhere else for IFS? Seems contradictory.

Basically, standardization.

There was a large variation in training provided between all the CFIs out there. To control the quality of training the Navy decided to limit where the training could be done.

The reason a PPL from anywhere is OK is because to get a PPL you have to complete a check ride with an FAA examiner. With that, the required level of performance and the standardization between examiners is much higher.

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
And for the part about living in P'cola... it's worth it. If you get stuck there over the summer and have to wait it out.... well.... lucky you! Getting time to sit on the beach, have a few drinks, find a good place to live... maybe do a little early studying...
you'll enjoy P'cola. Live it up while you're there.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard they use to do it near Annapolis as well, do they still do this?

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are 4 locations in the DC/Baltimore area that do IFS. BWI, Freeway, Tipton, and Bay Bridge. I don't think anyone but academy folks can go through IFS there.

Hmm, that sucks. I'm from Baltimore and I'm going home for awhile to be stashed at a recruiter before going to Pcola and was going to look into IFS maybe at home, but oh well.

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only about a month. I was thinking maybe doing part of it there and finishing in Pcola if that was allowed, but I don't know how the program works any way. Figured it was something worth asking about.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
If your only gonna be there for a month its not worth it. If you've got a few extra thousand dollars to throw away you could just get your PPL. Or you could put it into an IRA (better idea).