• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ifs Fex

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
it is essentially 6 months of sitting on the beach, mix in a few hours a week of a stash job. .

As always, depends on your stash job. You could easily get a bad one or a good one.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I did IFS down in Pensacola and if you want a more chill atmosphere then stay up in Quantico for IFS. Down here some of the schools take the screening part very serious and treat IFS like baby primary. My school in Mobile did this but I also thought it made me better because I was flying everyday vice once or twice a week. I waited all of 2 days to start IFS when I got down here and have already received a start date for API. The quicker you get down here the sooner you will have that API slot over the Quantico studs. It sucks having to do the studying and all that while over schools might be more relaxed but its your job to learn to fly and if it makes you better then why not go through it down in Pensacola. The upside to doing it down here is you can also work on your other pre-reqs for API while doing your IFS.

When did you go through? The guys that graduated TBS Oct 2007 didn't start IFS until March and API until May.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Hey, jump in as soon as you like. I was just referring to seizing good shot opportunities in an effort to recharge your batteries prior to the marathon. If you're presented with the chance to start asap, and you're up to it, get on it. For the most part, it's not really within your realm of control anyway. Which brings me to my next point... Saying there are Marines waiting for you to put steel on target is probably a bit dramatic at this juncture. No one said to malinger your way out of starting flight school. THAT would be wrong. You'll be given a projected start date upon check-in with MATSG.

Dude, flight school is a great time. You'll be given opportunites to learn, then do things that motivated you to get into this business in the first place. My only real point is that those opportunities are going to be there and taking advantage of a little free time prior to jumping in the blender can be something you'll be happy to reflect upon later. That being said, there's no substitute for whatever works for YOU.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
A Marine wants to make his life harder and pass up on a "good deal"..

Color me surprised! Not.

Looking at it now, I'd take the delay in a heartbeat but when I was in that situation I had the same attitude. You gotta remember, we're talking about motivated, competitive individuals who just completed OCS and TBS TOGETHER and would have a hard time "sitting around" while buddies are already in the pipeline. A young, eager Lt would rarely consider delaying flight school a "good deal". Now, after 3 years in the fleet.......6 months sitting around ANYWHERE sounds good to me but hindsight is always 20/20.