• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS down the tubes?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
"..In the year 2000...."

conan-year-2000.jpg

That takes me back to the college years (high school too).

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't be surprised if the whole program has ballooned in terms of cost since its inception. There's a whole civilian staff at Schools Command, plus the cost of paying the contract flying companies. To me, IFS was just another Navy induced hurdle. The 12ish hours I got of stick time atrophied by the time I finally got to a T-34 cockpit 6 months later.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
They manage the program and act as liaisons for the various IFS facilities around the area. They're also in charge of coordinating the IFS ground school, processing test failures, and mustering students during IFS.

So...not a whole lot.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
IFS used to be spread around to a bunch of different flight schools around the country. It wasn't uncommon that a ROTC guy could get it done prior to reporting to API. Due to the lack of standardization and a few other issues, they decided to move it to two locations, Pensacola and Annapolis. This bred flight schools that pretty much specialize and depend on IFS for survival. I can't wait to hear how many jobs are lost if they threaten do away with it.

scubasteve38

IFS used to be spread around to a bunch of different flight schools around the country. It wasn't uncommon that a ROTC guy could get it done prior to reporting to API. Due to the lack of standardization and a few other issues, they decided to move it to two locations, Pensacola and Annapolis. This bred flight schools that pretty much specialize and depend on IFS for survival. I can't wait to hear how many jobs are lost if they threaten do away with it.

Yeah it's definitely going to hurt the schools, IFS students are pretty much their entire business. If anything if they will probably just shorten it again to save more money. Instead of soloing you'll just do a few flights. I figure if that's when most people decide flying is not for them. Also for people that have like at least 20 hours in a GA aircraft they'll probably make them skip IFS.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I can't wait to hear how many jobs are lost if they threaten do away with it.
Not to be an asshole but you say this and in the deployment versus airshow thread someone lamented on summer job losses. It's not the Navy's job to create or protect civilian jobs and I don't think that should be part of the decision making process.

Fitz73Chrgr

Latest RUMOR I heard in the MOC at the end of last week is that IFS will probably go away. This was only a rumor and IFS is still on indefinite hold as of today.

Mikey Curtis

Semperfly
Word on the street is that the CNATRA (chief of naval aviation training) gave a stiff arm to calls for the IFS requirement to be waived or abolished.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Not to be an asshole but you say this and in the deployment versus airshow thread someone lamented on summer job losses. It's not the Navy's job to create or protect civilian jobs and I don't think that should be part of the decision making process.

Well yes, but a closer look at IFS and how it came about.

After what became know as 9/11, in part as the result of the elimination of most foreign students at flight schools, plus the plethora of regulations, General Aviation was on the ropes. Enter AOPA into the fray. IFS was born. Directly link, I only know by hearsay thus one step above scuttlebut. You folks would know better than any what value IFS brings to the table vs.a.vs "real" training.

texags

pilot
Lots of hate for IFS on here. IFS was my first taste of aviation, and I felt it did a decent job of preparing me for flight school. Things like learning how to flare and the basics of the landing pattern came quick to me in primary because I already had a good idea of how to do them from IFS.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Lots of hate for IFS on here. IFS was my first taste of aviation, and I felt it did a decent job of preparing me for flight school. Things like learning how to flare and the basics of the landing pattern came quick to me in primary because I already had a good idea of how to do them from IFS.

They would have come easy to you either way. And now you don't flare anymore!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Word on the street is that the CNATRA (chief of naval aviation training) gave a stiff arm to calls for the IFS requirement to be waived or abolished.

It may not be his choice, or the least bad choice when it comes to cuts.