• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS down the tubes?

Carny

Captain Tyin Knots
I've heard rumors that there is potential for people to start skipping IFS and going straight into API, anyone out there have gouge to confirm or deny this? And for those who have been to Primary and beyond do you think this could set people back?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
IFS was fun, it was easy, and it was a pretty big waste of time. I don't think you'll miss out on anything...I still can't figure out why NFO's have to go.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard rumors that there is potential for people to start skipping IFS and going straight into API, anyone out there have gouge to confirm or deny this? And for those who have been to Primary and beyond do you think this could set people back?
Hmmm, for the first 90 years of Naval Aviation, we survived without IFS and the nuggets prospered with many accomplishments, i.e., air race records & trophies, Midway, Marianas, Korea, 'Nam, Astronauts, Iraq/Afghan, etc.;)

Midway.jpg
*These guys did OK without IFS!

No worries boysan, it shouldn't set you back. One less hoop to jump through, one less pool to delay your winging!:D
BzB

shutout39

pilot
IFS was pretty easy and mostly fun. However, while there I either knew of or heard about 3 minor mishaps, 2 DORs, 2 people who had PRBs, and 1 person attrite. That said flying a Cessna does next to nothing to prepare you for the T6, it really just serves as a weed out process.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
IFS was pretty easy and mostly fun. However, while there I either knew of or heard about 3 minor mishaps, 2 DORs, 2 people who had PRBs, and 1 person attrite. That said flying a Cessna does next to nothing to prepare you for the T6, it really just serves as a weed out process.

I had the opposite experience. Everyone got through IFS, then we had 4 DORs and a couple of attrites during the FAM and Contact stage in primary. IFS didn't work so well to weed though guys out.

croakerfish

pilot
I'm gonna disagree with the general tone here. I've seen, on the whole, a pretty big difference in contact grades (granted, just by asking and peeking over shoulders) between people with PPLs and other prior time and those who just did IFS. I'm sure the gap would be bigger without IFS. That's a pretty sizable chunk of your NSS. Am I saying you can't get jet grades without a PPL? No, but your odds are a lot better than the guy without one. If anything IFS should be more robust.

Renegade One

None
I'm gonna disagree with the general tone here. I've seen, on the whole, a pretty big difference in contact grades (granted, just by asking and peeking over shoulders) between people with PPLs and other prior time and those who just did IFS. I'm sure the gap would be bigger without IFS. That's a pretty sizable chunk of your NSS. Am I saying you can't get jet grades without a PPL? No, but your odds are a lot better than the guy without one. If anything IFS should be more robust.
"The Dude abides"...

IFS…no IFS…the system just doesn't rely on this…and never has. Was probably "nice to have" when it was affordable. Now…maybe?…not so much.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Right, because you, a primary stud, know much better than those guys who wear wings on their chests, some of them who are indeed your instructors. You know, the ones who are in the airplane with studs and filling out grade sheets daily- not "peeking over shoulders" and sticking their nose where it doesn't fucking belong.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
The design of the program was to weed out studs who weren't going to adapt to flying without spending the dough to get them in the T-34. The program is useful, but I am sure in this era of cutting costs and relying on simulators to take the load off the plane, even in primary, it is high on the list of items to cut.
That said, I honestly don't think it helps very much. The general comment from a student on C-4001 is "whoa, this thing is nothing like the Cessna that I flew in IFS!" And yes, the students sucked just as bad as I did with no ifs as a student.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As a guy who came in with a small amount of civilian experience (commercial, IR, single engine, minimum hrs), I will say that there were plenty of guys with 0 hrs who did just as well or better than me in primary, and did better than I did in jets and the FRS. In fact, I may be one of only a couple guys in the JOPA in my squadron who had any prior experience flying before the Navy. It is just a completely different kind of flying. I think instrument experience gave me a small leg up in primary (which is not something that every PPL guy has), but after that, it didn't matter at all.