• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Cut in Half

BlazeUSMC

Belligerent Arm Swing!
Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but where in the pipeline of training does IFS come into play? I've heard a lot of scuttlebutt about new 2ndLts going to IFS before TBS, after TBS, some not going at all. Is this the reality of it all? that you can go to IFS at any given time, and that you really have no say in it? Or should one be proactive in pursuing their chance to go to IFS and let the Navy begin to mold them as the aviator that they desire.

I have very little flight time, absolutely zero qualifications as a pilot, but a basic understanding of knowledge of aviation. I have been advised by several Naval Aviators to let the Navy teach me their way of flying instead of pursuing aviation training on my own. Any thoughts, advice, guidelines would be greatly appreciated.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but where in the pipeline of training does IFS come into play? I've heard a lot of scuttlebutt about new 2ndLts going to IFS before TBS, after TBS, some not going at all. Is this the reality of it all? that you can go to IFS at any given time, and that you really have no say in it? Or should one be proactive in pursuing their chance to go to IFS and let the Navy begin to mold them as the aviator that they desire.

I have very little flight time, absolutely zero qualifications as a pilot, but a basic understanding of knowledge of aviation. I have been advised by several Naval Aviators to let the Navy teach me their way of flying instead of pursuing aviation training on my own. Any thoughts, advice, guidelines would be greatly appreciated.

You may do it before TBS, you may do it after. You will most likely do it in Quantico, but then again everyone who graduated with Delta in 09 who wasn't IFS complete was sent down to MATSG to do IFS in Milton. There have been some cases where guys don't do IFS at all, and didn't have to PPL/Solo cross country to get the waiver.

Just like every other question you've asked so far, you're mileage may vary. You're nuking it. Stay in shape, find one thing every day that you enjoy about the day (even if it's enjoying the fact that you will have a good story down the line about how shitty the weather is while you are in the D in FEX3). Control what you can control and don't worry about the rest.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I saw you guys in your holes on FEX3 in the mud, it looked pretty miserable. Good thing I didn't have to touch a shovel for that evolution.

IFS got a helluva lot more fun after the first solo. IMO they should let you do a beach solo as well (this would only add one flight). In places where they do not have beaches nearby, substitute your favorite non-beach landmark. The solo where you leave the pattern by yourself for the first time is probably the best in terms of most learned vs. time spent.

On my first solo as I got to about 500' in the pattern, ready to turn crosswind, I looked down at my oil pressure gauge and it was pegged to the right because of the extreme Florida cold weather (~20F). Nothing too serious, but I definitely had a vision of my engine seizing and "what would I do if...?" was going through my head for a bit. That was probably the best experience I could have had in IFS I think.

FlyinRock

Ducky
There are those who will prevail and you have risen to the top. Chase still includes you in his prayers. I'm proud of you young man.
Semper fi
Rocky