• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS Cancelled for USMC? Rumor or fact?

mcdwf398

Wasn't sure where to post this but I am currently at TBS and we just got word from our instructor staff that the IFS program is being canceled. Anyone else heard anything about this?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw the IFS director pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious. :p

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Navy IFS did get cut down to only 13.5 hours. Not sure about the Devil Dogs, but it seems to be serving its purpose well and going full steam in PCola...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
The rumor mill is going strong. It'll keep going strong, too. "Dude, I heard there were NO more jet slots." "Oh yeah, cuz so and so got one last week and he only had a 53." "Oh I heard there were 7, but they were only for the west coast." (<---My favorite one because it doesn't even make sense.)

Bottom line, get used to it. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But who gives a shit? At least you won't be at Camp Barrett.

sanders

I just graduated TBS and yes, IFS did get canceled for the rest of the fiscal year due to budget constraints. We were told that we may be able to do IFS after the start of the new fiscal year (Oct 1), but I am not too hopeful. Right now all the recent TBS flight contract grads are getting ready to begin either language training or IOC in Quantico, because the wait time for API is pretty horrendous. Speaking of which, anyone have any gouge on current wait time to being API for a Marine?

d3west86

forever+copy.jpg

HAWK22

pilot
So you guys getting stashed in a language school or IOC or wherever for a year will basically have another year which doesn't count towards your commitment? Like you need another unclaimed year...

sanders

Well hopefully it will not be a year until API. Apparently primary is going strong now, so maybe that means API will pick up more quickly. But what make sense is usually not what happens in my limited experience here...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
So you guys getting stashed in a language school or IOC or wherever for a year will basically have another year which doesn't count towards your commitment? Like you need another unclaimed year...

Clock is still ticking on promotions/retirement. Seems like not a bad deal to me.

sanders

Yea they canceled it due to budget constraints, but now they have nothing to do with a bunch of Lt's so they are hiring a bunch of foreign language teachers to teach us a language for 5 months. It seems like it would be way more expensive to send us to language school for 5 months than to send us to 3 weeks of IFS.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Yea they canceled it due to budget constraints, but now they have nothing to do with a bunch of Lt's so they are hiring a bunch of foreign language teachers to teach us a language for 5 months. It seems like it would be way more expensive to send us to language school for 5 months than to send us to 3 weeks of IFS.

They told this to all of us who graduated in Delta company last year. So we came down to Pcola amidst rumors that we were just going to go straight to API. Guess what... we did IFS in Milton. (Maybe on big Navy's dollar, we never got that answer)

You will probably do the same. Why would you be so concerned about IFS when you know you aren't coming down here to start API anytime soon? The proverbial "They" probably see it as not having to pay for something right now; however, assuming they do have to hire new language instructors (rather than pull from the DLA) they can use the IFS money to pay them. It makes sense.