• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IFS affecting future learning

bucka

pilot
Interesting tidbits here:
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a08be8_1f45a568ee464fda96e6606cca81e751.pdf

I am SHOCKED at the age and config of the aircraft listed that SkyWarrior uses.
Crappy fleet. Ancient airframes.

As of 2016 there are 5 or 6 mom and pop flight schools that take advantage of the Navy money to quick turn 14 hour syllabi. I went to Lightning at Foley, AL. Motley mix of Pipers and a few Cessnas run by a Navy retiree. All steam, some working.

The end-of-stage exam had some sort of FAA stamp on it, and I think it was the PPL written test, but I don't know that for sure. That was taken at the FBO. There were some lead up exams, all taken at the API building, and those were the same for all students, but pretty useless by how gouged they were. I've heard that the program has since been redone to be tougher, typical stud rumor mill stuff.

The IFS instructors ran the gamut. Some were young CFIs milling for hours, some were older dudes. Future me would love to buy a few rust buckets and take that contract at a little airfield.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Does IFS even make a difference in SNAs or is like most government contracts and a waste of money? Didn’t have it when I went thru flight school in ‘94. After a bunch of carrier landings and now wide body airline Captain it must not be that big a deal.

bucka

pilot
Does IFS even make a difference in SNAs or is like most government contracts and a waste of money? Didn’t have it when I went thru flight school in ‘94. After a bunch of carrier landings and now wide body airline Captain it must not be that big a deal.

In my opinion, no, but I'm sure renting a wet Cessna and a bored CFI for 13.5 hours is cheaper than getting an SNA through ground school, sims, and a few remedial T-6 flights only to discover an insurmountable fear of heights, airsickness, or nonexistent study habits. It was a good time, though.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I knew of one or two folks who said "no thanks" after their IFS flights. One or two every month or so adds up to approx 10-20 drops/year that USN saves the time and JP-5 on. I'm guessing because it's been going on for over 15yrs USN bean counters have deemed it to be worthwhile.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Seems a bit silly to me. Didn’t have it back in ‘86 and as I recall the instructors in primary were able to weed out the non-flyers very quickly.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Seems a bit silly to me. Didn’t have it back in ‘86 and as I recall the instructors in primary were able to weed out the non-flyers very quickly.
Probably also helps to remove the initial screening aspect from the VTs so IPs can focus on instructing. Like I said above I knew of a few who dropped during IFS but not many who dropped during/failed primary.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Interesting tidbits here:
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a08be8_1f45a568ee464fda96e6606cca81e751.pdf

I am SHOCKED at the age and config of the aircraft listed that SkyWarrior uses.
Crappy fleet. Ancient airframes.

Eh, I’m not so shocked. Almost every FBO I’ve rented planes from, the ancient ones with crappy avionics were by far the most common on the line. The FBOs that did have a plane or two with a G1000 charged an arm and a leg for its use. I think Skywarrior’s fleet is typical of many flight schools, and it’s not financially logical to invest in a G1000 IFS syllabus for 14 hours of student screening.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Sure, but they did it at 40 gallons/hour (and now I would guess it's more like 50-60 gallons/hour). Part of the point, as Pags said, was to weed out the people that need to be weeded out before the cost/flight hour increases.

Beyond that, no, it really doesn't add much to the training.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do u get orders to a specific FBO or do u get to pick from a list?

IFS back for NFOs?

bucka

pilot
Do u get orders to a specific FBO or do u get to pick from a list?

IFS back for NFOs?

API staff make an effort to assign FBO based on where you live in the Pensacola area. Loose association at best. Yes.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
When I was at Oshkosh this summer,the Cessna folks advertised a base 172 for $420K and 2018 and2019 production was already spoken for! Probably none of these deliveries where bound for Navy IFS contractors

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Eh, I’m not so shocked. Almost every FBO I’ve rented planes from, the ancient ones with crappy avionics were by far the most common on the line. The FBOs that did have a plane or two with a G1000 charged an arm and a leg for its use. I think Skywarrior’s fleet is typical of many flight schools, and it’s not financially logical to invest in a G1000 IFS syllabus for 14 hours of student screening.
Flying club or small group ownership is the way to go. @PEPfromage can attest to the quality of the airframes in my club. I’ve given him around a dozen hours of instruction in our aircraft. All our 172’s are upgraded to 180HP, modern Garmin FMS/navigators, ADS B IN & Out. Immaculate levels of cleanliness. No dirty hands from preflighting my airplanes!

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Flying club or small group ownership is the way to go. @PEPfromage can attest to the quality of the airframes in my club. I’ve given him around a dozen hours of instruction in our aircraft. All our 172’s are upgraded to 180HP, modern Garmin FMS/navigators, ADS B IN & Out. Immaculate levels of cleanliness. No dirty hands from preflighting my airplanes!

I can only assume this means your aircraft has navigation equipment that points to the nearest In-N-Out, which is a compelling argument for flying club membership. Sold!