• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If you're thinking about Dropping out.

Fallonflyr

pilot
Funny thing here that y'all may not grasp is in the 121 world, many times the logbook measuring contest is reversed.

My example: I flew only 20.2 hours the last two months and still got a full two months pay albeit at 1st year pay.

Sent from my iPad in my Crashpad where I got paid for 4.75 hours today to watch TV, workout and surf the Internet. I logged 0.0 hours.

I'm sure HAL has similar stories.
My all time best, 1.2 hours for two months pay.....Y'all see how that works?

CharlieMike

Wannabe
Some of that was due to grades obviously, but some of it's due to personality. There's definitely a difference in the communities, and the guys I talked to in helo land had a pretty different experience than we did. Please note I'm not saying that one's better than the other - it's just a different environment that appeals to different strengths.

How is the environment different between the two communities? In what way do you mean?

This isn't just a question to the OP, it's for anyone who wouldn't mind answering it for me.

Thanks.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Are you new around here?

Time to talk about pooping on treadmills while falling in zero G, as more accurately controlled by a multicrew platform that has less time on station available for BFM now.

What are the chances of a navy ECMO doing an exchange tour with a Marine FAC(A) capable Growler squadron, assuming that the F-35B is cancelled and replaced with A-10s that can land on carriers like a C-130?

Did I miss anything?

This post is crap without 6 pages of STEM-on-future-barista violence.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
But the real question is, if you poop on a treadmill while in an airplane... Will your poop fly?
Yes!
Yes.. Just ask any ERAU student/alum!
Because off the differential pressure spread between the top and bottom of the sphincter when it SLAMS shut, the resultant turd is given an airfoil shape... allowing it to become airborne off the treadmill; hence, splattering all over your windshield!:eek:
ibid: ERAU Aerodynamics 503, lesson plan 4a
BzB, MAS ERAU '87

aukonak

I'm fine with the threadjacks.

My challenge now is to find something motivating and exciting other than flying, I don't want to end up in a cubicle (yet) if I can avoid it.

How is the environment different between the two communities? In what way do you mean?

This isn't just a question to the OP, it's for anyone who wouldn't mind answering it for me.

Thanks.

I don't want to piss anyone off or misrepresent what I'm trying to say, so FWIW if I'm totally off feel free to let me know. And this has nothing to do with how things are in the fleet...I'm only going off of what I've observed and heard from my buddies who recently winged.

In some ways, like as far as duty and the command and all that, things seem a little stricter in the HT's.

Most of my friends out there said they had more fun in Advanced than they did in Primary. And some of them did struggle in Primary. I don't know many jet guys that would say the same thing. I mean, there are definitely fun things and things you feel immensely proud at having accomplished, but most guys I talk to are getting their asses kicked right up until their last block of flights.

In T-45 land, the emphasis is more on the flight than the briefings. You may get grilled leading up to an end of block flight/solo, but generally the IP does the talking and you're expected to demonstrate your knowledge of the procedures and maneuvers during the flight. The whole process usually takes two hours, but only because you're showing up an hour early to claim your board and get it and the computer setup. From what I've heard about helos, every brief is an interview to go flying that the stud has to pass, most taking around 2 hours, and you can expect to get grilled. The understanding is that if you show up knowing your shit, you can get plenty of instruction in the air if it's just about monkey skills.

I'm pretty sure that like the VTs, the HTs have studs and IPs share the ready room, unlike in Primary. Once you get used to this, it makes perfect sense.

As far as personalities go, I'd wager that the majority of studs that go jets are more type-A. This is purely anecdotal, and it's not a judgment about anyone. Like I said, most of my friends were type-A compared to most civilians, but in the aviation community, probably relatively less so. I also found it interesting how prevalent the Academy guys are out here- I'm an OCS grad. And that almost everyone is engaged, married, or in a pretty serious relationship. Over Christmas, 2-3 guys in my class all got engaged. It'd be interesting to see stats on all of this.

And I'm not saying I wish I went helos, in case it seems that way. When I finished Primary and found out I had the grades, I had to take a shot at jets, and I'm glad I did. I have other friends who debated until the very last minute, and when decision-time came, they had an easy time figuring out what they really wanted.

Renegade One

None

jtmedli

pilot
Words....

Your analysis of the HTs is reasonably correct. The briefs are tough and they expect you to know the NATOPS and FTIs pretty much word for word (especially my on-wing in advanced). The flying, on the other hand, is much more instructional. They know we've never flown a helo before so they walk us through it Barney-Style and keep us from breaking the bird. We do NOT share a ready room with instructors though. Not sure where you got that idea.

I'm not a jet guy so I wont comment on the VT-jet land lifestyle, but the two definitely seem to emphasize things differently. Jets seem to be more strict about the flying and the helo guys seem to be more strict about the brief/ground side. That being said, I dont think either completely neglect the opposite. Just that one is more heavily focused on.