• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If you're thinking about Dropping out.

aukonak

Some food for thought. I DOR'd from Intermediate Jet a couple of flights from my first solo. I hope I can help someone make the right decision. I'm posting this in the Primary forum so more people see it, and because relatively few people actually DOR from intermediate/advanced.

I'd been getting increasingly frustrated with work after I started intermediate. I was miserable where I was living, I didn't really mesh well with a lot of the guys I worked with, and it seemed like 80% of the guys out here were married or engaged, not good for an older single guy like me. Over time, I started to dread going into work, or even hanging out at squadron. I was happy when my flights were cancelled for weather or whatever. Taking leave for the holidays made me dread going back even more, and I started to think that if the job was really fulfilling me, then the other stuff that was bothering me about where I was wouldn't even matter.

So I did the right thing, I talked to my class advisor about it. What I shouldn't have done was hang out of the cockpit so long, because it makes it that much harder to go back. When decision time came, I was on the fence up until the very last second. I talked to everyone in my chain of command. They were all supportive.

I wanted to redesignate, but I didn't get it, so I'll be out soon. Time away has given me perspective, and I miss flying and work like crazy. I'd thought hundreds of times about begging for my job back, but it was already too late.

My biggest mistake was isolating myself when things got tough. You NEED the guys (and girls) around you to get through training, especially if you're single. You should be active in squadron, make it a place you're cool to hang out at. Get to know your instructors and be on good terms with them. Do all that, and the work is that much better. It's not the other way around.

Nobody will try to convince you to stay in- it's not allowed. If anything, you'll be encouraged to get out, because as stressful as flight school is, it's only going to get more and more intense out in the fleet, and if you're unhappy with your life in school, with relative freedom and easy hours, you most certainly will run into problems when things get real. But that doesn't mean you can't fix whatever's bugging you. I'd wager that almost everyone thinks about quitting at some point or another in flight school, but most don't. Maybe some should, but don't due to pride, and they end up hating their work.

Honestly I don't know if I made the right decision. But not knowing is bad enough. And after you're stashed for a while, anything seems better. But if you're thinking about quitting, I suggest sticking it out, remembering why you joined. I think there are people who know this isn't for them. When they quit, they're relieved. This wasn't the case with me.

One more thing- before quitting altogether, consider a pipeline change. 90% of the guys I associated with in Primary went helos. Some of that was due to grades obviously, but some of it's due to personality. There's definitely a difference in the communities, and the guys I talked to in helo land had a pretty different experience than we did. Please note I'm not saying that one's better than the other - it's just a different environment that appeals to different strengths.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Tough post to write. Thanks for sharing.

FWIW, and others should take note if they feel the same way, you refer to what you did as "work" and a "job." That is very telling. I admit the grind could suck at times but I bet most here never really called it work as people in other professions might use the word.

There are many ways to serve the greater good. You'll find another calling.

Good luck!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tough post to write. Thanks for sharing.

FWIW, and others should take note if they feel the same way, you refer to what you did as "work" and a "job." That is very telling. I admit the grind could suck at times but I bet most here never really called it work as people in other professions might use the word.

There are many ways to serve the greater good. You'll find another calling.

Good luck!
Amen, caught my eye immediately.... the use of the word work twice along with "dreaded going to work", says it all. In addition, if you're not looking forward with great anticipation to your first solo several days hence, you are definitely in the wrong business. A good honest and 'gutsy' post. Wish you best of luck in your future endeavours!:)
BzB

aukonak

Amen, caught my eye immediately.... the use of the word work twice along with "dreaded going to work", says it all. In addition, if you're not looking forward with great anticipation to your first solo several days hence, you are definitely in the wrong business. A good honest and 'gutsy' post. Wish you best of luck in your future endeavours!:)
BzB

What it probably meant for me is that I like flying, but maybe I don't love it. Which of course matters. But maybe I was expecting some kind of personal fulfillment that couldn't have come until I was more comfortable in the jet, or until I'd invested more of myself into making it work. I'll probably never know, so it's not worth worrying about.

Anyway, this isn't supposed to be about "what ifs", it's really more of a cautionary tale to anyone who might run into a similar situation. Right or wrong, I made my choice. The only thing I would have changed was the timing of my decision, just to eliminate some of those lingering questions.

I appreciate the respectful responses!

EDIT: One thing I wanted to add, what made it even harder to leave, was how incredibly supportive the command was to me. Seriously, I got more than enough time to sort things out, and right up until the end they were looking for ways to get me flying again, should I want to. When the decision was made, they wished me the best of luck, no hard feelings, and said they'd be happy to write me references down the road. If any of you are on here, please accept my heartfelt thanks.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Neither do I and I've got 0ver 8,000 hours. :cool:

Funny thing here that y'all may not grasp is in the 121 world, many times the logbook measuring contest is reversed.

My example: I flew only 20.2 hours the last two months and still got a full two months pay albeit at 1st year pay.

Sent from my iPad in my Crashpad where I got paid for 4.75 hours today to watch TV, workout and surf the Internet. I logged 0.0 hours.

I'm sure HAL has similar stories.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Funny thing here that y'all may not grasp is in the 121 world, many times the logbook measuring contest is reversed.

My example: I flew only 20.2 hours the last two months and still got a full two months pay albeit at 1st year pay.

Sent from my iPad in my Crashpad where I got paid for 4.75 hours today to watch TV, workout and surf the Internet. I logged 0.0 hours.

Nah. HAL works at a real airline and probably flys for a living ;-)

2 years ago, I was either on reserve, make-up or volunteer everyday and I still had only 420 hours block.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

I need some Fedex in my life!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

I flew slightly over 20 hours last month during two 2-day trips. I got paid for 75 hours.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I flew slightly over 20 hours last month during two 2-day trips. I got paid for 75 hours.
Ain't trip rigs great! Best invention ever.. Oh and good work!

I'll one up ya.. Last month, 7:16 block- 74 hours pay. Both trips out and backs (1 on reserve, 1 on make-up)