• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

If you could go back in time...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Supposedly The Navy wasn't thrilled with her outfit, but by that time the cat was out of the bag.
It got me thinking about how fashion designers were all, "well, it'll be like she's naked, except we'll put this 3/4" strip of fabric over her genitals to placate the S&P folks at MTV" 😂

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
haha

what a different time, and what a blast from the past (though I'm pretty sure Brett was an adult at this point in history). How did this all end up being filmed on a battleship? So random. Also, apparently Cher is from El Centro originally. Did not know this. Sort of like Selena of Corpus Christi, or Hayley Williams of Meridian. Must be the jet noise that gives these women their power on stage

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
haha

what a different time, and what a blast from the past (though I'm pretty sure Brett was an adult at this point in history). How did this all end up being filmed on a battleship? So random. Also, apparently Cher is from El Centro originally. Did not know this. Sort of like Selena of Corpus Christi, or Hayley Williams of Meridian. Must be the jet noise that gives these women their power on stage
GTFO here, are there really people from El Centro? 😅

That Cher video though...it's crazy the Navy signed off on it...different times i guess.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
haha totally. Though I bet if lady gaga made a video on a navy vessel (do people make music videos anymore? where do they play?), she'd be wearing less on some CVN somewhere.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I also am not sure I believe this. Did she emerge from the Salton Sea? None of this makes sense (especially in that timeframe, which was maybe the late 1800's?) :)

I'm sure there were El Centro O-5s back in the 80's encouraging their JO's to snap up real estate around the Salton Sea. Maybe the Cher lore added perceived value?

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Snap up that waterfront property boys!
Mexico to the south, mountains to the west, shitty little Colorado River to the east, bunch.of libs to the north in PS...you can't make waterfront property like this anymore. (the perfect pitch for buying property in Borrego Springs)

TBH, I may have violated Mexican airspace coming out of El Centro once...glad their air defenses weren't on high alert. 😁

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Mexico to the south, mountains to the west, shitty little Colorado River to the east, bunch.of libs to the north in PS...you can't make waterfront property like this anymore. (the perfect pitch for buying property in Borrego Springs)

TBH, I may have violated Mexican airspace coming out of El Centro once...glad their air defenses weren't on high alert. 😁

haha reminds me of my FFAM-102 when I was a VMFAT-101 cone. We were on that stupid tacan arc landing to the North in NYL. I go to turn on the hot mic (this was in an F/A-18A/B feature, in a B tail that was nearly as old as me), which is right next to the Mission Computer switches. I think I have the hot mic switch fingered but actually have the MC switch. I throw it, and all the nav data dumps. I realize to my own horror the mistake I've made, switch on hot mic, and the IP in my backseat is like "hey dude, everything ok up there?" I sheepishly say "sir, I think I turned off MC1". He says "ok cool, have you thought about turning it back on?". "Oh yes, great idea sir". And we continue the approach. I think he averaged me out. Whether we actually entered Mexican airspace is unknowable, but a high probability :) The microfiche "moving map" most likely showed us somewhere in England after many years of everyone always turning the map brightness down since it wasn't anywhere near the continent you were in.

Also, if only they had known about Coachella. If only......

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
haha reminds me of my FFAM-102 when I was a VMFAT-101 cone. We were on that stupid tacan arc landing to the North in NYL. I go to turn on the hot mic (this was in an F/A-18A/B feature, in a B tail that was nearly as old as me), which is right next to the Mission Computer switches. I think I have the hot mic switch fingered but actually have the MC switch. I throw it, and all the nav data dumps. I realize to my own horror the mistake I've made, switch on hot mic, and the IP in my backseat is like "hey dude, everything ok up there?" I sheepishly say "sir, I think I turned off MC1". He says "ok cool, have you thought about turning it back on?". "Oh yes, great idea sir". And we continue the approach. I think he averaged me out. Whether we actually entered Mexican airspace is unknowable, but a high probability :) The microfiche "moving map" most likely showed us somewhere in England after many years of everyone always turning the map brightness down since it wasn't anywhere near the continent you were in.

Also, if only they had known about Coachella. If only......
/threadjack continuing

There was a fairly senior O-3 getting an IFR pickup to land at NKX, as he was getting vectored, shit went catywampus...and maybe comms issues?

Bottom line is they were diverting traffic from San Diego Intl, bc a 53 was rampaging around SoCal airspace...he claimed that he had 40° lockoff on his TACAN...which all his peers called BS on.

40 degree lockoff may be a total anachronism...I wonder if it's even taught anymore.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Poor guy, just trying to land, somewhere :)

Reminds me also of my last deployment, nobody could get tacan in Marshall. I'm not sure what we did, I guess we just did it and forgot. CATCC comes back with some lame excuse that low tacan numbers with a Y at the end aren't good with F/A-18's. Cool guys, maybe then don't choose 10Y. (though this isn't a real thing anyway since like 2012).

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Poor guy, just trying to land, somewhere :)

Reminds me also of my last deployment, nobody could get tacan in Marshall. I'm not sure what we did, I guess we just did it and forgot. CATCC comes back with some lame excuse that low tacan numbers with a Y at the end aren't good with F/A-18's. Cool guys, maybe then don't choose 10Y. (though this isn't a real thing anyway since like 2012).
If we're telling TACAN stories, on my first pump as a co-pilot off the LHD in the Persian Gulf duringt he kickoff to OIF, I was flying with a relatively new HAC (rewind the tape..a few days prior there's a RR briefing about their GPS jamming capabilities)

We takeoff from the ship for some boring logistics run to Kuwait...about 70-80 NM from the ship the needle starts fluctuating and spinning...to which the HAC excitedly started claiming they were jamming his TACAN.😄 I don't think he really ever progressed further.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If we're telling TACAN stories, on my first pump as a co-pilot off the LHD in the Persian Gulf duringt he kickoff to OIF, I was flying with a relatively new HAC (rewind the tape..a few days prior there's a RR briefing about their GPS jamming capabilities)

We takeoff from the ship for some boring logistics run to Kuwait...about 70-80 NM from the ship the needle starts fluctuating and spinning...to which the HAC excitedly started claiming they were jamming his TACAN.😄 I don't think he really ever progressed further.

haha shit gets real on that log run :)

Poor guy, he's probably a 777 CA now, still wondering when that hot plate will show up

And plenty of conspiracies.....I love talking about the conspiracies with captains

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
haha shit gets real on that log run :)

Poor guy, he's probably a 777 CA now, still wondering when that hot plate will show up

And plenty of conspiracies.....I love talking about the conspiracies with captains
God, I hope not ☺️

For Boeing's sake, they should wish he flies an Airbus.