• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

idophtic hypersomia and ocs

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
To be honest I am not really sure about anything, I do not know if I want to get out or stay in, if i knew that I would not have posted here at all. I am not sure if I want the disability, if i was sure that I want it then I would not be considering becoming an officer, it is just nice to know i have options. I apologize if my post sound like I am look out only for myself because that is not the case, I am only doing what is in the best interest of my family. My decisions are no longer about what I want, they are about what is best. I really don't care what I do for a living, I could stay enlisted my whole life and be content, but I could never give my family the life that I know they deserve. I would like to become an officer, maybe I dont have the drive and determination, maybe I am jaded from actually being a E-nothing for 4 years. All I know is whatever I do and I am going to give it my best shot.

Jim,
I am a prior enlisted butter bar as we speak. I spent 2 yrs 4 mo. as a blue-shirt before going to OCS. Getting in to OCS was very competitive...it took me 3 tries; once as a civilian and two as an E-3 and an E-4. I would tell you as a guy who did what you are trying...don't. It took all the determination and grit I had as an individual to get through OCS. I didn't do it for my family, or for money, I did it for myself. I think that probably goes for the other OCS/academy/ROTC guys here. When it comes down to brass tacks and there is doubt in yer head as to why you are here (wakeup wednesday/black saturday/RLP/H-class) you will have to be there because you WANTto be there. Not because it seems like the easy way. Trust me, it ain't.

My suggestion is to use that Masters and Bachelors you have and go find a good job outside of the military. Your military background should give you a great resume, the fact that you bothered to get a bachelors and a Masters while enlisted speaks to your drive. But to stay in a field where your decisiveness and integrity will be affecting the very lives of the men/women you lead would be a disservice to yourself and the blueshirts you wish to protect. I am making this judgement on you based solely on your posts here, so I could be WAY offbase...I hope I am. But the fact that you tried to game the system based on bad gouge (and I have heard that same gouge about disability) at a cost to taxpayers and your fellow shipmates speaks to what decisions may come in the future.

There are a great many jobs out there, and you will be able to keep Tricare Plus for yer family while on reserves. And working as a civilian will give you the freedom to get out and look elsewhere if you are dissatisfied.

This is just my opinion, and as we all know opinions are like assholes, so take it as you will.
God Bless.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about fleshing out your profile, that would help. It's give and take.

About originalbigjim Biography...Location...Occupation...Interests...Latest News...

skillz

I am in the navy now, and I am thinking about getting out. I was pretty sure I had sleep apena and if you actually have it you get a VA disability check every month till you die. I am all for getting mine for the navy because they sure got theirs. Well i dont have sleep apena but i have this thing...

Right, its owed to you huh?...Man up...shit like you pisses me off. Do you get a welfare check also?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I am in the navy now, and I am thinking about getting out. I was pretty sure I had sleep apena and if you actually have it you get a VA disability check every month till you die. I am all for getting mine for the navy because they sure got theirs. Well i dont have sleep apena but i have this thing... What this means is I can take naps on command, i dont fall asleep randomly but I am really tired when i get home from work...
I completed my degree and almost done with a master, I am a little nervous about the civilian job market and now I am thinking about putting a butter bar on my shirt.

So you're basically admitting on an open forum (which is definitely monitored by high-ranking officers from all parts of the Navy) that you're seriously considering committing fraud?? You're a bright one...:rolleyes:

originalbigjim

there isnt much to know,
I am from Detroit, MI
I am 22
I am an AE3
I am on CVN 70
right now we are in the yards so I am chipping and painting daily and in my down time I act as an educational counselor to my shipmates
I have an Associates in Electromechanics with a 3.87, a Bachelors in political science with a 3.2 and I am finishing up my Masters in Strategic leadership currently a 4.0
I have a wife and 3 kids
I used to play varsity tennis and football
I am sure what else you are looking for but ask and you shall receive

originalbigjim

So you're basically admitting on an open forum (which is definitely monitored by high-ranking officers from all parts of the Navy) that you're seriously considering committing fraud?? You're a bright one...:rolleyes:
how is it fraud if you actually have these things? I thought I had it, I got tested for it, I didn't. The test showed I had idophtic hypersomia. The disability system is designed to compensate veteran for medical problems that they actually have, not ones they make up. I would have to have deceived them in some way for it to be fraud, would it not?

skillz

+1...what nerve this clown has...:icon_rage

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
how is it fraud if you actually have these things? I thought I had it, I got tested for it, I didn't. The test showed I had idophtic hypersomia. The disability system is designed to compensate veteran for medical problems that they actually have, not ones they make up. I would have to have deceived them in some way for it to be fraud, would it not?

Perhaps I misread your post. It seems you thought you had sleep apnea, you don't but want to take benefits for it. OK, if your real condition gets you benefits, then so be it. I just thought you were going to take benefits for a condition you don't have. More than anything, your sense of entitlement kinda pissed me off. ("I am ALL for getting MINE")

If we weren't the same age, I'd tell you to grow up. :)

If you're looking to come back in as an officer for the wrong reasons (money, etc), I can tell you that you wouldn't make it through OCS. Plus, officers aren't exactly rich. If you're joining for money, you're going to be sadly disappointed. I'm an officer because I want to be, not because of the "money" (what money?:D)

Just my 0.02.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Perhaps not fraud, but at the very least its un-ethical. This part "The disability thing will pan out if I want it, but I am not sure anymore if that is something I am even interested in" implies that you are trying to play the system to best benefit yourself. If the disability thing hurts your chances at a career you want then "you aren't interest in" persuing disability, but if your career options are limited then all of a sudden you are "disabled". Either you are disabled or your not. The systems in place to pay those that can no longer provide completely for themselves. Either thats true of you or it's not.

originalbigjim

I think they said a at TAPS that something like 75% of everyone exiting the military leave with some disability(don't quote me on those numbers). I don't know how well versed you guys are on the military disability system, but being militarily disabled does not mean you are actually "disabled" or handicapped. You can get disability for things like frequent headaches, scars, joint and bone pain, allergies as well as more serious problems, based on a scale from 0% to 100%. if you are 0% that can mean that you still can get disability (go figure) So I guess you can be a little disabled. I realize that it may sound bad that I think these things are owed to me, but they are, that is why they listed as military benefits and entitlements. Would it be wrong for me to want to use my GI Bill? or get a VA home loan? These program are set us for us to use and if you qualify for them why not use them. I will have completed 5 years of honorable service and I have been paying taxes for the last 7 years and I will be paying them for the rest of my life so programs like these can be utilized by people who qualify for them. I am sorry if you disagree with the system when you get out you will mostly use it too.

AGpilot08

Hey originalbigjim,

If you don't know what you want to do, then do yourself and your brethren in arms a lot of trouble and don't even bother applying to become an officer. With your kind of "entitlement mentality" and selfish attitude, you wouldn't last very long. You might be able to get away with fraudulent activities and a crappy attitude like yours in the enlisted ranks, but as an officer you are going to be held to a MUCH higher standard and will be under a constant microscope of criticism from your superiors, as well as from the enlisted sailors under your command, and especially from your fellow JO's. But I think, or at least I hope, that you've probably already figured that out just from being on this forum.

However, I do wish you the best of luck in whatever endeavors you decide to go for. Though you might not be suited to be an officer, I've got to agree with everyone else that has posted on this thread that with the kind of resume that you've got, I'm sure you'll go far in the civilian world. Again, best of luck...

Regards,

-Matt

originalbigjim

Hey originalbigjim,

If you don't know what you want to do, then do yourself and your brethren in arms a lot of trouble and don't even bother applying to become an officer. With your kind of "entitlement mentality" and selfish attitude, you wouldn't last very long. You might be able to get away with fraudulent activities and a crappy attitude like yours in the enlisted ranks, but as an officer you are going to be held to a MUCH higher standard and will be under a constant microscope of criticism from your superiors, as well as from the enlisted sailors under your command, and especially from your fellow JO's. But I think, or at least I hope, that you've probably already figured that out just from being on this forum.

However, I do wish you the best of luck in whatever endeavors you decide to go for. Though you might not be suited to be an officer, I've got to agree with everyone else that has posted on this thread that with the kind of resume that you've got, I'm sure you'll go far in the civilian world. Again, best of luck...

Regards,

-Matt
you are probably right, I probably wouldn't fit in the officer community, I came here asking for help and I got crucified.
thanks... I think...

S.O.B.

pilot
there isnt much to know,
I am from Detroit, MI
I am 22
I am an AE3
I am on CVN 70
right now we are in the yards so I am chipping and painting daily and in my down time I act as an educational counselor to my shipmates
I have an Associates in Electromechanics with a 3.87, a Bachelors in political science with a 3.2 and I am finishing up my Masters in Strategic leadership currently a 4.0
I have a wife and 3 kids
I used to play varsity tennis and football
I am sure what else you are looking for but ask and you shall receive

This seems like a lot to have accomplished by 22. This time line just isn't working for me. You've completed a AA followed by a BA and nearly completed a Masters degree in four years of sea duty; not to mention cranking out three little warriors, it's no wonder your tired. I'm not sure if I buy your story.

P.S.
NOMI and sleep disorders don't work well together.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This seems like a lot to have accomplished by 22. This time line just isn't working for me. You've completed a AA followed by a BA and nearly completed a Masters degree in four years of sea duty; not to mention cranking out three little warriors, it's no wonder your tired. I'm not sure if I buy your story.

P.S.
NOMI and sleep disorders don't work well together.

Come on SOB! You didn't know you can buy a Masters degree online for 100 bucks? I get one of those spam emails at least once a day! :)

Glad you brought this up. I didn't even think about it. By 22, getting an associate's, bachelor's and then masters degree while active duty enlisted does NOT seem possible.

S.O.B.

pilot
Come on SOB! You didn't know you can buy a Masters degree online for 100 bucks? I get one of those spam emails at least once a day! :)

Glad you brought this up. I didn't even think about it. By 22, getting an associate's, bachelor's and then masters degree while active duty enlisted does NOT seem possible.

Don't forget the three kids..... This guy's a machine.