• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

idophtic hypersomia and ocs

originalbigjim

I was just diagnosed with idophtic hypersomia with this disqualify me from going to ocs or flight duty? All idophtic hypersomia is unexplainable daytime sleepiness, I am pretty sure the entire enlisted navy has it but has not went to the doc about it.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Man if it's not it would still make OCS damn near impossible and definitely extremely painful for you...

Why would you go to the Doc to get diagnosed with something like that? I shunned doctors like the plague because I was scared of getting NPQ'ed for something... Why would you go to the doc for being sleepy?

originalbigjim

I am in the navy now, and I am thinking about getting out. I was pretty sure I had sleep apena and if you actually have it you get a VA disability check every month till you die. I am all for getting mine for the navy because they sure got theirs. Well i dont have sleep apena but i have this thing... What this means is I can take naps on command, i dont fall asleep randomly but I am really tired when i get home from work...
I completed my degree and almost done with a master, I am a little nervous about the civilian job market and now I am thinking about putting a butter bar on my shirt.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Well i dont have sleep apena but i have this thing... What this means is I can take naps on command, i dont fall asleep randomly but I am really tired when i get home from work...

Dude, this sounds like 90% of the population could be diagnosed with it. Both your reasons for going to the doc and for "putting a butter bar on your shirt" sound a little shaky... When I think of why I wanted to get my commission I think of things like the desire to lead, to serve, make a positive contribution, and the chance to fly some of the most advanced aircraft in the world for my country. While I can understand you considering the outside job market, I don't think that should be your prime motivation.

MasterBates

Take naps on command, tired when you get home?

NOMI is not one to be trifled with. They will NPQ over stuff that has 1,000,000 to 1 odds of someday becoming an issue in an aircraft.

I'm sure you are not the first sailor to be tired every day when you get home. May I be the 1st to say "sack up" and not run to the doctor for every little malady?

originalbigjim

I actually went to the doc because I was recommend to by my Divo and my buddy confirmed this recommendation when he got out. Apparently at TAPS class they tell everyone to go to medical and get treated and diagnosed with everything humanly possible to get the most amount of benefits. Trust me I dont have time to go a cry to medical for every hangnail I get but I though I was doing myself a favor.
I do in fact have a strong desire to lead, more so than flying. I would really like to be an intel officer but I would do whatever just to be an officer. My master is actually in leadership to give you any indication how much my I want to lead.
I am coming to the end of my enlistment and I think I have taken my service for granted. I really do enjoy what I do, I enjoy telling people I am in the navy and I enjoy serving my country BUT I have 3 kids and being enlisted is really paying the bills as well as I would like. economically I either have to get out or become an officer. It makes no sense for me to stay in with a masters and be an E4 or maybe E5.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Your master in leadership has nothing to do with how much you want to lead. I could get a master in leadership if I wanted to. I think you reasons to be an Officer still sound shakey.

bluesig1

sure thing
None
"...get treated and diagnosed with everything humanly possible to get the most amount of benefits... "

First, not to really judge but that seems pretty shady. Second, if you had any real Inclination in becoming an officer or staying in, why would you even think of loading a bunch of disability diagnoses on yourself when you know they will disqualify you from future service. That doesn’t make any sense at all. Personally, I think you should have known better than intentionally trying to get some disability, and then trying to go back and be an officer. Finally, why ask on the Internet? You can’t hide an official diagnosis, so you might as well ask your CO, recruiter, or check with NOMI to see if you are disqualified.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Idiopathic Hypersomnia sounds like it is disqualifying for OCS and certainly for flight school.

I am not sure how you are not medically discharged right now. If this is some ruse you used to get some medical disability because "they" told you this at TAPS class, then it just backfired on you.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
"...get treated and diagnosed with everything humanly possible to get the most amount of benefits... "

First, not to really judge but that seems pretty shady. Second, if you had any real Inclination in becoming an officer or staying in, why would you even think of loading a bunch of disability diagnoses on yourself when you know they will disqualify you from future service. That doesn’t make any sense at all.

Actually it makes perfect sense. After the disability money didn't pan out, go looking for it on the khaki side of the house... Pretty shady... And while I can appreciate you wanting to better provide for your family, you're going about it in all the wrong ways...

originalbigjim

Actually it makes perfect sense. After the disability money didn't pan out, go looking for it on the khaki side of the house... Pretty shady... And while I can appreciate you wanting to better provide for your family, you're going about it in all the wrong ways...
I guess you can questions my motives but when you are approaching separation from the service, you really don't know what to do. You get advice from every angle and you try to take the best of it. The disability thing will pan out if I want it, but I am not sure anymore if that is something I am even interested in. I would like to be an officer and try to make changes to our flawed system. I would love to help enlisted guys out as much as I can while progressing in my own career. My ambitions are rooting in helping people, not flying jets or shooting guns or even spending countless hours making power points, blue shirts need advocates in the khaki side of the house and I would like to be one. Isn't that what being an officer is all about?

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
The disability thing will pan out if I want it, but I am not sure anymore if that is something I am even interested in.

You are or are not sure?? When I hear that, well...

Its great you want to help the 'blue shirts' but every post you have made so far has only made yourself sound to be looking out for #1.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I was just diagnosed with idophtic hypersomia with this disqualify me from going to ocs or flight duty? All idophtic hypersomia is unexplainable daytime sleepiness, I am pretty sure the entire enlisted navy has it but has not went to the doc about it.

yes (DQ for aviation). the NOMI waiver guide says waivers for this are impossible:

Idiopathic Hypersomnia: This is a diagnosis of exclusion. It is characterized by complaints of excessive daytime somnolence, generally develops in adolescence or early adulthood, and is persistent. It is important to differentiate this from Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome, a variant of OSA. Stimulant medications are frequently used in treatment and are not compatible with aviation duty. Despite adequate treatment, it is difficult for patients to maintain adequate task performance. Waiver will not be considered for this diagnosis.

originalbigjim

You are or are not sure?? When I hear that, well...

Its great you want to help the 'blue shirts' but every post you have made so far has only made yourself sound to be looking out for #1.

To be honest I am not really sure about anything, I do not know if I want to get out or stay in, if i knew that I would not have posted here at all. I am not sure if I want the disability, if i was sure that I want it then I would not be considering becoming an officer, it is just nice to know i have options. I apologize if my post sound like I am look out only for myself because that is not the case, I am only doing what is in the best interest of my family. My decisions are no longer about what I want, they are about what is best. I really don't care what I do for a living, I could stay enlisted my whole life and be content, but I could never give my family the life that I know they deserve. I would like to become an officer, maybe I dont have the drive and determination, maybe I am jaded from actually being a E-nothing for 4 years. All I know is whatever I do and I am going to give it my best shot.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor

Have you read the Officer Programs manual on BUPERS yet? It outlines each programs requirements, and refers you to the appropriate manuals for the current commissioning standards.