• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IAP without JOapply equals discharge from USNR?

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Citizen Sailor, Gentleman Farmer
I've asked this question many times and received many conflicting answers. I assume the conflict is due to either changing rules or a renewed effort to enforce the rules.

I've been told that I should go out and find a unit that will take me (IAP) in while I knock out a couple of years, get experience, training. Use that time to get DCOIC done and the other school down in Milton FL complete.
This makes sense to me because: why would I take a set of hard orders if I need to spend the first years of AT going to school? Would it be true that those commands would need me to actually perform the job they have in mind?

Then I go to my first INDOC drill at the NOSC and the CO tells me I need to participate in JO apply or I could be removed from a pay status and discharged. JO apply does not open for applications for a couple of months. I see two 1525 O-1 billets announced, but they have their own school and training requirements that need to be accomplished.

I'm in the process of a TRUIC change request from the NOSC to a local squadron. I would prefer to stay there long enough to get a few goals accomplished along with the two schools.

Anyone have advice?

Goodfou

FWIW,
In my enlisted experience, I executed a TRUIC change to a squadron my second month as SELRES; however, it was the unit I wanted to obtain a permanent "hard" billet with. That way, I didn't have to wait on the three month detailing process to get me out of IAP and the OSU. I would add that I knew the unit I was going to, knew they had billets available, and they were committed to selecting me when CMSID (enlisted detailing system) opened up for command review. I would suggest you find out if there are billets available at the squadron you are "TRUIC'ing" into and work on obtaining a hard billet as soon as you check in.

As far as schooling goes, your AT period is the minimum per year. Typically, at an operational command, there is plenty of money available for SELRES to use ADT orders to work beyond the minimum two week requirement. There are many SELRES Officers and Enlisted personnel at my squadron that are on orders almost year-round.

By chance, have you been given the Navy Reserve DCO handbook? If you are new to the Reserves, it will answer a lot of your questions. In fact, there is an explanation of the detailing process on page 47. It states that if someone is IAP for too long, the Navy will choose a billet for them or transfer the member to "non-pay" status (IRR). Also, JOApply has been replaced with Reserve Forces Manpower Tool (RFMT). You can find the document here:

https://www.navyreserve.navy.mil/Documents/New Direct Commission Officer Handbook.pdf

Hope that helps.

Chris

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Update

Turns out new commissioned reserve officers are authorized 3 years IAP, its written on my first set of orders when my TRUIC change was approved.

In fact I cannot even apply for orders in JO apply until my MAS code changes, I assume after I complete DCOIC.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
In fact I cannot even apply for orders in JO apply until my MAS code changes, I assume after I complete DCOIC.

Not necessarily. I don't know about the AMDO community but the CEC community keeps the TBH MAS code until after successful completion of CECOS Basic. In fact, one friend finished DCOIC a few months ago and had the MAS code removed only to get it reapplied a few weeks ago. Luckily, he had gotten a billet in the intervening time. Still, refer to community specific regulations regarding MAS codes and initial training.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
YGBSM…ROTFLOL ;)
Yeah, this isn't the first time I have been called out for my assumption of acronym knowledge. :( let me try again...

Not necessarily. I don't know about the Aviation maintenance community but the Civil Engineer community keeps the TBH (lacks initial training) Manpower Availability Status code until after successful completion of Civil Engineer Corps Officer School Basic. In fact, one friend finished Direct Commission Officer Indoctrination Course a few months ago and had the Manpower Availability Status code removed only to get it reapplied a few weeks ago. Luckily, he had gotten a billet in the intervening time. Still, refer to community specific regulations regarding Manpower Availability Status codes and initial training.

Whew, harder than I thought.

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

I'm not sure how the MAS codes are managed, but a few of us JO's looked ours up. One guy had a MAS that stated he was a high school student.

AQ-AT-NAVCIV

Yeah, this isn't the first time I have been called out for my assumption of acronym knowledge. :( let me try again...

Not necessarily. I don't know about the Aviation maintenance community but the Civil Engineer community keeps the TBH (lacks initial training) Manpower Availability Status code until after successful completion of Civil Engineer Corps Officer School Basic. In fact, one friend finished Direct Commission Officer Indoctrination Course a few months ago and had the Manpower Availability Status code removed only to get it reapplied a few weeks ago. Luckily, he had gotten a billet in the intervening time. Still, refer to community specific regulations regarding Manpower Availability Status codes and initial training.

Whew, harder than I thought.

I looked in JO apply (RFMT) and my orders were updated to state that I would stay TBH until after DCOIC.