• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I would greatly appreciate some advice/enlightenment.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Are you saying that BDCP will eliminate my chances of getting in or simply make it more difficult? Difficulty isn't a problem - I can show I'm far beyond ready to go the distance, but sheer elimination of chance is a problem...

EDIT: I just recently got in contact with a current active duty Lieutenant (in the SEALs) and he said that he did a similar path to me without BDCP, he simply applied to the SEAL board after graduation and was shipped to OCS with a guaranteed officer slot in BUD/S. Isn't BDCP just the same with extra cash? (He unfortunately was unfamiliar with BDCP)

No he's saying there IS NO BDCP SEAL slot. It doesn't exist. That designator is FAR too competitive and difficult to achieve for the Navy to be paying you thousands of dollars before you even go to OCS. The likelihood for attrition is too high to justify that spending.

You can apply directly to OCS for a SEAL slot. No BDCP. It's the same deal, except instead of applying in college and getting money, you apply once you have your degree (I think you apply a little bit before you graduate as well) and then go to OCS as soon as you are accepted.

Clear as mud?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
No he's saying there IS NO BDCP SEAL slot. It doesn't exist. That designator is FAR too competitive and difficult to achieve for the Navy to be paying you thousands of dollars before you even go to OCS. The likelihood for attrition is too high to justify that spending.

You can apply directly to OCS for a SEAL slot. No BDCP. It's the same deal, except instead of applying in college and getting money, you apply once you have your degree (I think you apply a little bit before you graduate as well) and then go to OCS as soon as you are accepted.

Clear as mud?

So THAT'S why my request for BDCP - Blue Angels slot got denied..:icon_rage

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
No. It's because you're Persian. ;) :D

I will prevail and break through these barriers!

810180715-1968_BlackPower_at_Olympics.jpg

...you apply once you have your degree (I think you apply a little bit before you graduate as well) and then go to OCS as soon as you are accepted.

I'm fairly certain you can apply to OCS (non-BDCP) up to 18 months before graduation. I applied about one year before graduation.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I'm fairly certain you can apply to OCS (non-BDCP) up to 18 months before graduation. I applied about one year before graduation.

I believe you're right. I remember the AF said I could apply up to a year before graduation. Not sure what the number is for the Navy.

Reiner445

Interesting...

So what I gather is that using BDCP will set me back 2 years (estimate) by having to serve in another division before I can transfer to specwar...interesting.

I have an appointment with an Officer Recruiter tomorrow and I'm going to pick her brain so hard she will probably hate me - so I'll fill you in on what I learn and decide. Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So what I gather is that using BDCP will set me back 2 years (estimate) by having to serve as a SWO before I may be able to transfer to specwar...interesting.

I have an appointment with an Officer Recruiter tomorrow and I'm going to pick her brain so hard she will probably hate me - so I'll fill you in on what I learn and decide. Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Fixed it. If you want to be a SEAL as an officer, listen to what everyone else here is telling you: apply through OCS or NROTC.

Rg9

pilot
Swanee said it well. There is never a guarantee you can switch out of your community, so if you try that route make sure you're happy with what you go for. You said you liked aviation as an option, so you could go that route then try to switch (being happy regardless) later, but IMO, it's going to be hard to devote so much work to do well in one job (which you'll probably need to apply for the transfer) while trying to train and get ready for another. You have a lot more time/freedom in college to do it.

Regarding your dilemmas... I don't fully understand the co-op program you're in, but ROTC can pay full scholarship for your degree if you get accepted (and it sounds like you've done well so far). You may have to switch it around a little by switching schools, but to be honest, the Navy doesn't care a whole lot about your specific degree, only that you do well in it (although they do have "score" adjustments based on type, i.e., engineering, science, lib arts, in that order, but the adjustment is minor).

What Gatordev said re: PT and classes is very true if not in ROTC. You could talk to the command at the school and see what they'd let you do with them. I don't see why they wouldn't let a BDCP or OCS-select student join in on some of the PT. You can at least take most of the classes.

Lastly, OCS generally fills in the gaps that ROTC and the Academy don't make. Not sure how they do this with Spec-Ops, but you may have a better chance with ROTC. Talk to someone who understands the process better to know for sure.

MasterBates

Not sure how your co-op works but I was in BDCP when I was at GMI (now Kettering) and it was not an issue, as it was required for graduation.

phrogpilot73

Lastly, OCS generally fills in the gaps that ROTC and the Academy don't make. Not sure how they do this with Spec-Ops, but you may have a better chance with ROTC. Talk to someone who understands the process better to know for sure.
He's talking SPECWAR, not SPECOPS.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One final note - the position I'm gunning for is an officer slot in BUD/S. I posted in these forums because of the wealth of information that is distributed here. I understand the difficulty of the tasks that lay ahead and I am willing to face them without hesitation. All I need is guidance.

(And if I don't make it to BUD/S for some reason, my other undying passion would be to become a Naval Aviator, either way I'm glad I'm not Army :p j/k)

Getting into BUD/S as an officer is highly competitive and you best seek a forum dedicated to same to see the level others go to in order to get one of those coveted slots (ie working out with an ROTC unit will not be enough to make you competitive or prepare you for BUD/S). There is a semi-official network devoted to identifying prospects and getting them into a workout program to increase chances of selection and make it through BUD/S.

That said, you need to be careful how you map out your application process in order to be competitive for a flight school slot. Going to another community like SWO to get to BUD/S diminishes greatly a path to the cockpit. There is the option to enlist and get a guaranteed shot at BUD/S out of bootcamp and later apply to be commissioned. Many have taken that path as odds of getting selected are much greater with a college degree (note: still need a demon workout regimen).

Zissou

Banned
There is the option to enlist and get a guaranteed shot at BUD/S out of bootcamp and later apply to be commissioned. Many have taken that path as odds of getting selected are much greater with a college degree (note: still need a demon workout regimen).

+1

There are about 3 million programs for enlisted SEAL's to become SEAL Officers. A BUD/S billet for an O is no simple feat.

Cdr. Joe Fuller is a SEAL Mentor, I've known him since I was 18, he can show you the path:

joe.fuller.ctr@navy.mil

Good Luck.

lmnop

Sorry, I thought they were interchangeable (guess not). Is their a technical difference?

SPECWAR=SEALs, SPECOPS was EOD/Diving but the community went through a name change back in December and is now just known as EOD rather than SPECOPS. The intention was to have the community name more accurately reflect our missions as well as avoid confusion with the joint definition of special operations forces.