• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I would greatly appreciate some advice/enlightenment.

Reiner445

I want to join the Navy, so here goes...

I am currently a college student at Clemson University. I am double majoring in Computer Engineering and Electrical Engineering with a minor in Mathematics. I will complete my pre-med requirements on graduation. I have a 3.2 GPA which is increasing each semester and I have completed two years of schooling with 87 credit hours completed.

Here's my problem - I am also a Cooperative Education student which means I am part of a program that allows me to take 3 rotations of work (2 semesters and 1 summer session, or 3 semesters total) before I graduate. In essence, my university extends my scholarships for one year and I retain full time student status the entire duration.

Currently I am committed to a company which I will go to work for in less than one month. I am considering between the 2-year NROTC and 36-month BDCP programs as to which will better suit my situation. However, both programs have certain drawbacks...

NROTC is an issue, first and foremost, because my school does not have a Naval ROTC program. So in order to follow that pathway, I would have to transfer schools and manipulate my co-op rotations to work for one year straight before I apply. This is because of the Spring application deadline for the 2-year scholarship and the fact it will take 3 years to graduate.

BDCP is an issue for monetary reasons. I have scholarships that pay for half of my college tuition already, but I still pay about $22k a year with all my expenses totaled in. My parents currently pay for most of my tuition, but they now want to teach me monetary control and discipline by having me foot the bill (I agree that what they are doing is the right thing). The good news is, my degree is technical and I would be eligible for the 36 month program.

Now I suppose that the NROTC would be better to reach my goals of Commissioned Officer status, but the BDCP seems to be a less troublesome route. Please fill me in with any advice you can for either program. I'm running through a dark tunnel without a walking stick, but I can see the light at the end!

Here are a few specific questions I'd like to know the answers to:

1 - Can a co-op student participate in NROTC or will I have to cancel my co-op first?

2 - Does BDCP allow me the same chance at a Commission as NROTC?

3 - If I join BDCP is there a way for me to join another ROTC (such as AFROTC) just so I can enjoy the benefits of the physical training and discipline?

One final note - the position I'm gunning for is an officer slot in BUD/S. I posted in these forums because of the wealth of information that is distributed here. I understand the difficulty of the tasks that lay ahead and I am willing to face them without hesitation. All I need is guidance.

(And if I don't make it to BUD/S for some reason, my other undying passion would be to become a Naval Aviator, either way I'm glad I'm not Army :p j/k)

navy09

None
You have a special situation (being in a co-op), I'd talk to both a NROTC unit recruiting officer and an OSO soon.

Does BDCP allow me the same chance at a Commission as NROTC?

Yes, even though ROTC grads are cooler- OCS gets you to the same place ;)

If I join BDCP is there a way for me to join another ROTC (such as AFROTC) just so I can enjoy the benefits of the physical training and discipline?

No.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
2 - Does BDCP allow me the same chance at a Commission as NROTC?

3 - If I join BDCP is there a way for me to join another ROTC (such as AFROTC) just so I can enjoy the benefits of the physical training and discipline?

2- IMHO you would have a better chance at getting commisioned through NROTC, as BDCP is quite competitive. You sound competitive though, and BDCP is the best way to ensure you're going to do what you really want to do as an officer.

3- I know that the final 2 years of the ROTC program involve a commitment. Therefore you cannot be in BDCP and AFROTC, because they both require you to work for them after graduation, and you obviously can't do both. During the first 2 years of ROTC you can join/leave without any commitment, but being that you have already finished 2 years you will not be eligible.

All this coming from someone who is only just beginning the BDCP application process, so take it as a grain of salt..

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You can apply while in ROTC if you aren't contracted. Once you are contracted, you need to be released from ROTC before applying.

Reiner445

Thanks for the responses already! I knew this was the right place to ask :)

If you've got more advice lay it down. The more the merrier!

Lobster

Thanks for the responses already! I knew this was the right place to ask :)

If you've got more advice lay it down. The more the merrier!

Seems to me like BDCP would be the way to go for you, I just briefly read over your situation and if you want to learn about how to handle money this program would make you financially independent from them in the governments eyes. Also you don't have any other commitment aside from keeping up your GPA and PRT scores. Like the guys said above talk to both the ROTC unit and contact an OR both should be more than willing to help you make the best choice for yourself.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Generally ROTC classes are open to all University students, otherwise the university wouldn't let them be there. So if you have room for electives, you can take the classes you choose. You don't need a uniform or need to sign a contract, it's just another class to take. What this can give you is the ability to network and talk to guys in the unit. You'll quickly find out about unit PT or unsupervised, extra-curricular PT by just a few individuals. Plus the classes allow for learning about whatever subject it is and how it pertains to the service(s).

For example, there was one guy I went to school with who started out NROTC. He later got picked up by a nuke program (kind of similar to what BDCP is now) and dropped out of NROTC, but he still came to some of the classes to prep for when he went through OCS. There were other guys who would PT w/ the SEAL wanna-bes (led by an actual SEAL going through NROTC as an ECP). So you can definitely find ways to participate and not technically be in ROTC.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There's no BDCP for SEAL, so from that perspective NROTC is your better option. Officer slots for SPECWAR are extremely competitive, although they are taking more as of late than they have in the past. You have to be in peak physical condition and you have to have an outstanding academic record, preferably in a technical degree. It looks like your academics are ok, so if you can max the PST (not a typo, it's different from the PRT/PFA) then go for it.

EDIT: You might want to lay off the inter-service ribbing until you're actually in one.

Reiner445

I don't think you can go into BDCP under Specwar contract.

There's no BDCP for SEAL, so from that perspective NROTC is your better option.

Are you saying that BDCP will eliminate my chances of getting in or simply make it more difficult? Difficulty isn't a problem - I can show I'm far beyond ready to go the distance, but sheer elimination of chance is a problem...

EDIT: I just recently got in contact with a current active duty Lieutenant (in the SEALs) and he said that he did a similar path to me without BDCP, he simply applied to the SEAL board after graduation and was shipped to OCS with a guaranteed officer slot in BUD/S. Isn't BDCP just the same with extra cash? (He unfortunately was unfamiliar with BDCP)

gotta_fly

pilot
Are you saying that BDCP will eliminate my chances of getting in or simply make it more difficult? Difficulty isn't a problem - I can show I'm far beyond ready to go the distance, but sheer elimination of chance is a problem...

If BDCP won't allow you to commission with a specwar designator, you will most likely need to do something called a lateral transfer. This involves becoming warfare qualified (earning your 'pin') in another community, then requesting a switch to specwar. I've heard that a decent percentage of the officers in BUD/S are former SWOs who did about two years then applied for the specwar program.