• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I want to be a professional (non-airline) pilot when I grow up

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Is it a fair statement to say that the Army -60s have gained weight over the years with the added systems as the GWOT continues? If so, it seems like a smart reason to upgrade.

Any idea if those Alphas that were decommissioned also got them (like the upgrade was done some time ago)?
Yes, they have gained weight from ASE gear, but not as much as you might think. We tend to install A kits for most of the ASE gear, then rotate the B kits as we deploy. You won't see BAPS, EIBF, or AVR-2B until pre-mob or getting in country. A CONUS aircraft <> the same aircraft in country. However, the HH-60M CONUS is fairly fat at 17,500 with 360 gallons of fuel. In country with ESSS, eBAPS, etc...it was at MGW with a crew of 4 and 100 gallons in each wing tank. It still had excess power with 130 degrees F temperatures. But it flies like a fat girl on a moped.

Most, if not all, got the upgrades. Slides on this were from years ago, so my memory may not be the greatest. But having visited sites across the US, I can't say I remember any relic 60As in the Army that weren't upgraded.

One of our last 60As in Jax was 1979. We got new 60Ms in 2009, then newish 60Ms after the last deployment. National Guard Bureau tends to move aircraft around state to state. We now have one 2009, three 2010s and two 2014s.

Last edited:

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
lol @ 17.5 being "fat". And I was a Sierra Guy. Romeos are taking off Max Gross Weight daily.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Along the topic of this thread I found it interesting that commercial UH-60A operator Billings Flying Service just had an 18 year old young woman obtain her type rating in the Blackhawk today...

ChuckMK23

pilot
Brutal times for the offshore oil helicopter bubbas.

Nearly $2 Billion in Debt, Bristow Files Bankruptcy

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-...early-2-billion-debt-bristow-files-bankruptcy

View attachment 22046
So I get the feeling that when they attempted to buy / merge with Columbia, the komono of Bristow got opened and there were face palms all over - as in "there's no there, there" - and it went down from there.

Anyone want to go in on a used S-92? I think we can get one cheap!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So I get the feeling that when they attempted to buy / merge with Columbia, the komono of Bristow got opened and there were face palms all over - as in "there's no there, there" - and it went down from there.

Anyone want to go in on a used S-92? I think we can get one cheap!
Interesting...when I talked to them at Sea, Air, Space - they were proposing a $2 Billion Dollar training program to the Navy!

ChuckMK23

pilot
206L went in the Hudson on Wednesday - lots of video - not sure whether it was LTE or mechanical failure

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Does anyone here know anything about the FBI's Tactical Helicopter Unit? I talked to them at NHA and it sounds pretty amazing.

If you’re ready to spend a couple of years in a field office and then do the HRT Q-course, it would be amazing. It’s definitely TF160-level flying—and also a ton of time on the road.