• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I want to be a professional (non-airline) pilot when I grow up

Mandingus

pilot
To piggyback Randy D (pun?) regarding flying gigs, the GOM has undergone a massive strategic shift with the advent of deep water drilling technology and the days of little birds dominating the air are gone for the most part. While there is always going to be a place on the shelf for their presence, we are talking significantly dwindled numbers as executed by the B teams ; Westwind, RLC, Panther (?).

The following is what I have heard, but as I am not affiliated with these companies, don't quote me!

- Bristow is most definitely south of 150 pilots total and for whatever this is worth, one of my peers was involved in repo-in one of their 92s last month. Additionally they were looking at another furlough as recently as February when they landed some contract to stave that off

- PHi's ems division made money last year, their GOM component not so much - this according to a mech friend who worked there previously and still has connections. The accuracy co-efficient there being around .75, but the larger message is as previously stated regarding the amount of flying being done by little birds.

- Can't speak for ERA, but I'll hazard a guess that it is the same there.

None of this means there are no jobs or that hiring will stay frozen, but if the past 10 years had the industry in full afterburner, then hiring is definitely at idle for the time being. What I think is the good news is that there has been a dedicated shift to IFR flying which may play out in favor of folks with legit IFR training and backgrounds. That's all of us mofos here! I say this because my company hired a fuckton of people with very thin IFR backgrounds and it shows in the cockpit. Gents, ladies, vegetable matter, you have a skill set in that you are fully informed as an SIC, H2P, co-dude, etc. and this may be a ticket forward when the time comes. Don't get me wrong, our pilots are knowledgeable, can quote the FARs out the yanghole, etc. but there is an element missing from those types when they have not had sufficient time in the left seat. Anyone with a license can fly just about any aircraft or go to school and get typed, wizard'ed up, but the difference lies in the intangibles, the air sense, the ingrained second nature crm habits that we all have. This may be a way forward and I wouldn't shy away from highlighting those things in any potential interview, but not in terms of how much better we perceive ourselves to be versus the straight civilian types. You'll take a faceshot if you do.

This got a little rambling, but please ask any questions and I'll do my best to give an accurate answer.

My background is 14 years, GOM, major oil and gas company, S-92, AW139. Our focus is just about exclusively deepwater and is moving solely to that as far as the grand strategy goes.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
To piggyback Randy D (pun?) regarding flying gigs, the GOM has undergone a massive strategic shift with the advent of deep water drilling technology and the days of little birds dominating the air are gone for the most part. While there is always going to be a place on the shelf for their presence, we are talking significantly dwindled numbers as executed by the B teams ; Westwind, RLC, Panther (?).

The following is what I have heard, but as I am not affiliated with these companies, don't quote me!

- Bristow is most definitely south of 150 pilots total and for whatever this is worth, one of my peers was involved in repo-in one of their 92s last month. Additionally they were looking at another furlough as recently as February when they landed some contract to stave that off

- PHi's ems division made money last year, their GOM component not so much - this according to a mech friend who worked there previously and still has connections. The accuracy co-efficient there being around .75, but the larger message is as previously stated regarding the amount of flying being done by little birds.

- Can't speak for ERA, but I'll hazard a guess that it is the same there.

None of this means there are no jobs or that hiring will stay frozen, but if the past 10 years had the industry in full afterburner, then hiring is definitely at idle for the time being. What I think is the good news is that there has been a dedicated shift to IFR flying which may play out in favor of folks with legit IFR training and backgrounds. That's all of us mofos here! I say this because my company hired a fuckton of people with very thin IFR backgrounds and it shows in the cockpit. Gents, ladies, vegetable matter, you have a skill set in that you are fully informed as an SIC, H2P, co-dude, etc. and this may be a ticket forward when the time comes. Don't get me wrong, our pilots are knowledgeable, can quote the FARs out the yanghole, etc. but there is an element missing from those types when they have not had sufficient time in the left seat. Anyone with a license can fly just about any aircraft or go to school and get typed, wizard'ed up, but the difference lies in the intangibles, the air sense, the ingrained second nature crm habits that we all have. This may be a way forward and I wouldn't shy away from highlighting those things in any potential interview, but not in terms of how much better we perceive ourselves to be versus the straight civilian types. You'll take a faceshot if you do.

This got a little rambling, but please ask any questions and I'll do my best to give an accurate answer.

My background is 14 years, GOM, major oil and gas company, S-92, AW139. Our focus is just about exclusively deepwater and is moving solely to that as far as the grand strategy goes.
How has you pay/benefits and work rules been trending?

Mandingus

pilot
How has you pay/benefits and work rules been trending?
Mine have worked very well, but I work for the last oil and gas company to have an air dept (GOM) so i get paid on the company's scale - I still believe truthfully we are underpaid. Pay at the other companies has trended in the right direction as well, although I can't speak factually to its amounts. One plus about flying for the Bristows and PHi's is the potential for extra pay for flying extra days which is not hard to do with the amount of time off.

Mandingus

pilot
I heard the same from a PHI pilot at Heli-Expo. It sounded like they're pivoting a bit to help the bottom line.
Have you heard anything from Canadian Helicopters? I know they are kind of recovering from some bad management decisions that cost some good people their jobs. However, prior to that debacle I heard nothing but good things. No domicile requirements, decent pay, keep the travel bennies (frequent flier points and flexible return schedules) worldwide opportunities, etc. At one time that was a company I had considered jumping ship for, being restless after having been in the GOM and otherwise bored.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have not. I honestly can't remember if I saw them in Dallas, either, but I may not have known what I was looking for.

And apparently I know a crewman who is with Bristow now. He was with CHI previously. It's been at least a year since I last flew with him, but at the time, he seemed pretty happy.

a_dub

"flank" speed
RLC has been hiring a few people here and there. Buddy of mine walked in there a few weeks ago, talked to chief pilot and was offered a training slot (1800hrs, some turbine time). PHI has just laid off 80 or so people in LA and rumors of more in GOM coming. It is difficult to get hired on with Era without offshore time (driven by customer requirements) so one of the "b teams" like RLC is the way to go, although there is a decent pay difference. There are sightseeing VFR slots with Era, but those are few and far between, mostly seasonal in AK. As mentioned, Bristow's SAR program has gotten a little busier lately with one of the majors shifting contracts to them.

Mandingus

pilot
I have not. I honestly can't remember if I saw them in Dallas, either, but I may not have known what I was looking for.

And apparently I know a crewman who is with Bristow now. He was with CHI previously. It's been at least a year since I last flew with him, but at the time, he seemed pretty happy.

There's a couple of HT grads in their SAR program and I believe one of them (ex Coastie) is kind of running it.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It is tough, Gator...both as a walk-on and even if you're already at that agency as a sworn officer. I looked into it (unsuccessfully) when I was a Cincinnati Police Officer from 2004 to 2006...definitely a tough gig to get. Have you thought about getting hired as a Law Enforcement Officer first and then possibly getting an aviation slot after doing 3 to 5 years on patrol? All the agencies that I contacted in the 2004 to 2006 time frame (Jacksonville PD, Tulsa PD, LAPD and NYPD) all required that you get hired and then serve in a patrol capacity (at their respective agency) prior to applying for an aviation slot (at their respective agency). Something to think about if you're willing to invest some time.

I believe Flash is correct...from what I remember Maryland State Police does hire contract civilian pilots. Also, our local Hamilton County Sheriff (Ohio) does hire walk-on pilots...but it's rare since the most recent slot that became available was due to the unfortunate passing of one of their pilots. So, timing is everything as you well know. In addition, Wink may be able to shed some light on this matter since he's currently involved in LE flying.

I wish you well, Gator...although I wasn't successful in finding an LE aviation slot, I truly believe it's one of the best (if not THE best) flying gigs out there.

Collin

MSP pilots are state civilian employees, not contract employees. 85%+ of their work is medevac.

Probably 80% of your local law enforcement require extensive time on the street before going into aviation, and then often time as an observer before becoming a pilot.

A few more, like Fort Worth, some NorCal, and some FL departments, hire some form of civilian to ferry observers around. The pay ranges from horrible in FL to okay in NorCal. The CA jobs had sick hours requirements, though.

Baltimore City makes you do police academy and field training and you become a cop, but you're guaranteed to fly as a pilot after finishing training. I happen to know that there's an opening...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Baltimore City makes you do police academy and field training and you become a cop, but you're guaranteed to fly as a pilot after finishing training. I happen to know that there's an opening...

"So what do you do for a living?"
"Have you seen 'The Wire'? 'Blue Thunder'?"

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
"So what do you do for a living?"
"Have you seen 'The Wire'? 'Blue Thunder'?"

At times it was pretty cool, but any job where your purpose is solely to fly can become boring, even if you get a car or dirt bike chase every so often. Eventually you may end up saying, "I'm a reasonably smart person. I have more to offer the world than just wiggling sticks." I was flying 16-20 hours of low level VFR a week and honestly was getting tired of it.

And yes, chicks do dig it, but rotating between day and night shifts made it hard to see them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A buddy of mine is applying to Austin PD (which appears to have what looks like a really good program) and recently did his ride-along and first set of tests. Apparently someone was recently hired to APD off the street to fly, but had to follow the Baltimore model of academy and then some orientation on the beat for a short period of time. Unfortunately I don't have any other details, but my buddy (non-aviator) has two other friends at APD already, so I trust his info to some extent.

Personally, not something I'd pursue, as I wouldn't make it through the APD academy, physically, currently due to an injury, but it was interesting to hear the gouge.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
A buddy of mine is applying to Austin PD (which appears to have what looks like a really good program) and recently did his ride-along and first set of tests. Apparently someone was recently hired to APD off the street to fly, but had to follow the Baltimore model of academy and then some orientation on the beat for a short period of time. Unfortunately I don't have any other details, but my buddy (non-aviator) has two other friends at APD already, so I trust his info to some extent.

Personally, not something I'd pursue, as I wouldn't make it through the APD academy, physically, currently due to an injury, but it was interesting to hear the gouge.

I'm surprised Austin has enough going on, aviation-wise, to need a program like that. The biggest crime in Austin is having a garden that's not truly organic.

Hell, if I got bored in Baltimore, I think I'd eat my Glock flying patrol in Austin.