• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I Remember 22 November, 1963!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
50 years ago today, we all lost our President, and we in the military... our Commander-In-Chief. Few here on AW were even born yet, let alone remember his election, the fairy-tale beautiful young family lifestyle antics in the previously stodgy White House; and that tragic black Tuesday in Dallas. Feel the need to share my recollections with my AW Buds, especially young 'newbies'!:)

In November 1960, I was a 25 y/o, newly married, first-tour A-4 squadron JG, enjoying work-ups for our second Westpac the following March. Although apolitical at that time, I was excited about voting for the second time. It was Nixon v Kennedy, who if elected, would be the first Catholic to be President. Being also an American of Irish descent as was I, I looked forward to voting for Kennedy, and I did.;)

After voting on Election Day, Tuesday 8 November 1960, we had a couple of squadron bachelors over for dinner & an evening of watching election returns. It wasn't the blaring, hi-tech TV extravaganza of today, but the quiet serious reporting of Cronkite/Huntley-Brinkley and others of that era. Just after midnight, the jury was in and we had our first Catholic President.:D

Fast forward to 22 November 1963, I was a LT, halfway through first shore tour as a RAG (FRS) IP at NAS Lemoore. That Tuesday early PM, I was the Runway Duty Officer (RDO) on 32L, observing A-4 fam RPs landings. Upon being relieved and returned to our hangar 1, I entered the RR, and before a word was said, I knew something bad had happened (thought immediately that it was a serious/fatal crash that had occurred). The huge, normally vibrant RR was totally hushed, a few whispered, and there were some red eyes. I was quickly and quietly informed... was just stunned; and remained in sort of a daze the rest of the day & more. Everywhere I went on or off base, people were red-eyed and visibly grieving as was I. My 2 kids, at that time 2 & 1, of course have no memory of the tragic event. I still have the front page section of the Fresno Bee of that date, with the largest typesize headline I've ever seen!:(:mad:

To me, my marriage and the election, kicked off the wildest decade of my life including the birth of 3 kiddos, 2 peacetime, and 2 more combat deployments with resultant Memorial Services for Squadron/Shipmates, 2 more notable assassinations including another Kennedy, and man's successful landing on, and return from the moon. Kicked off the '60s with butter bars, ended them as a hinge. A happy/sad... and BUSY decade for the young Bee!:):(:D
BzB:cool: