• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I need some help PRK question

I had PRK back in Feb of this year (2006), my last eye exam with my docter was in april. Today I had anouther eye exam with a local docter here in town, which he told me I was -1.25 in the left eye and -1.00 in my right eye. My question is if I am a quarter over the legal limit what is my option. I plan on applying to the Navy and Marine Corp for pilot. I also found out today that I was the same back in April when I saw my docter last. I need some info guys , I am finishing my dagree in a month. My OSO was expecting me to submit my paper work to NOMi this next week.

AppleCello

COntact lens waiver?? OR, check with your doctor to see if he will do a follow up surgery to sharpen things. I believe most doctors have that written into the agreement...

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Yeah...an enhancement sounds like it's in order, but honestly, if he only corrected you -1.00 and -1.25 it doesn't sound like he did a good job (it's possible for vision to regress after surgery).

Just curious, what was your Pre-op prescription?

My pre op prescription was -2.75 in one eye and -2.25in the other and I don't know which one it was. I spoke to my docter as well as a docter at NOMI and my OSO. My docter set up an exam three weeks from now, he thinks he can tweak to -1.00 without an enhancement. I however am concerned about this since I will be borderline. If he could do the enhancement to get those numbers alot lower if it is possible great. My OSO told me to fax my eye records to him so he could send them to CNRC for a special review as he stated. Regardless of what my docter says in three weeks I do still believe I will need a second surgery, since I have been -1.25 since my april exam.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
This whole thing seems odd...why didn't your doctor correct your vision to 0.00 or close to it? That's the point of PRK, to correct your vision so you won't need to wear glasses or contacts, not to shave off a diopter.

AppleCello

That can happen. this is why the Doc's offer enhancement procedures. You know, its much better to do too little than too much in a procedure like this. Just see what everyone says about your particular case and make your decision with that information.

No one has the same eye issues as anouther persons does. If you guys noticed my pre op eye charts read -2.75 and -2.25 , which is realy close to the -+3.00 limit. I think this is the reason behind all of this. Anyways only time will tell, if I need an enhancment then I will get one.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
A&P wallis said:
If you guys noticed my pre op eye charts read -2.75 and -2.25 , which is realy close to the -+3.00 limit.

I noticed it. I also know that +/- 3.00 is NOT the limit. I know guys who were at - 6.00 and got it done.

YOU are right -+3.00 isn't the limit, I believe it's the refractive error limit , I was refering to astigmatism limits set by the Navy. For all you guys that have had PRK done what was your astigmatism after the surgery. Was it lower than -+1.00.

AppleCello

my eyes are still healing and my right eye was -.75 astigmatism today, but its been all over the place in the last 2 weeks. it takes a good bit of time to stabilize, hence the 3 month (or 6 month) waiting period after surgery.

my left eye was -1.25 today but both eyes still have a ways to go!

I sent OSO all of my eye records today so he can have them faxed to CNRC. I should hear something in a week or so. This will help with my eye appointment on the 11th of July. I still think I may need an enhancement.

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
YOU are right -+3.00 isn't the limit, I believe it's the refractive error limit , I was refering to astigmatism limits set by the Navy. For all you guys that have had PRK done what was your astigmatism after the surgery. Was it lower than -+1.00.

My prescription was -4.0 for right and -4.25 left with 1.0 astigmatism in both eyes. I was corrected to 20/15 and 20/17 respectively with zero astigmatism - the first time. That was four years ago and the technology has gotten much better since then - I think your doctor is screwy and not the best option.