• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

I need a little info. O.K., I need a lot of info..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParrotHead

Here's the dealio: I am 17, I will be attending college this fall, and I have poor eyesight. I need somebody to explain to me, as thoroughly and with as much detail as possible, how I should go about becoming a Naval Aviator. Also, it seems as though Academy graduates, as opposed to OCS and ROTC grad's, are more likely to get a pilot slot. Is there any truth to that? Finally, when getting commissioned through OCS, would you have a contract for the job you want or is selection based on your background along with what jobs are available? Thanks in advance for the help. I will probably be back with more questions, so be prepared!

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I will leave your first question for an officer recruiter or someone else on this site. As for the others here we go.

No, Academey guys aren't more likely to get a guaranteed Aviator slot, the same for ROTC. For OCS and college programs BDCP etc. you get a guaranteed slot in the community that you apply. For OCS/BDCP guys, one would take the ASTB fill out your package and security paperwork. After you are finish this long task, you submit the package to whatever community that you want. If they like what they see and an opening is available, then you are good to go.

It takes a while and the above is a very short answer. For details into your package, the ASTB, BDCP questions, communities etc. I would highly recomend that you navigate through this website. All your answers lie within. You have a long road in front of you, so do some research here and learn what you can.

Dave

SPEED OF SOUND

Sierra Pilot
I would recommend looking into the possibilty of having laser eye surgery. Unfortunately, from what I understand, it's rather expensive. I am currently flying along side some individuals who have had successful surgery and they are only a few short months away from winging. As for the other questions, I would have to agree with EODave. I have found absolutely no advantage in Academy vs. OCS vs. ROTC grads. I'm an average 29 year old Joe off the streets who decided to join the Navy and whata yah know, I'll get my wings in less than a month! If I can do it, anyone can!

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ParrotHead -
Without question the best possible thing you could do for yourself is go see an officer recruiter and ask about OCS. If you're close to an ROTC outfit you should talk to them too. You're probably too late to go to USNA this year so unless you want to wait I'd throw that option out. Just ask them about the different programs you offer and then decide what you want. Remember this: ROTC is 4 years and OCS is 13 weeks. Take your pick of whichever you think you fit better for. Good luck!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pretty good advice so far. Just to be precise, you can't get just any laser eye surgery. Anything but PRK will disqualify you from any aviation, NFO or pilot. PRK has been accepted on a limited basis for a trial period for a study. By time you apply they may have decided that PRK isn't acceptable for future admissions. Or, they simply will not be granting waivers for the surgery because they have all the study participants they need. Don't run out and get eye surgery until you are much closer to the application process. Some day they likely will permit unlimited PRK applicants, but there is no quarantee. And don't forget about the Naval Flight Officer program. Most guys just looking into Naval Aviation don't know about NFOs or are ill informed. It is a great opportunity for someone with less than perfect eyesight but otherwise a quality candidate. You just have to get beyond all the pilot notions you may have. Good Luck.

Ovaty2003

As long as you're on the subject of requirements for being a pilot, my grades in college sucked...at least for the first two years. It was well below a 2.0, but in my last two years, i really buckled down and pulled it up to a 2.50 (even getting a 3.5 one semester). Anyway, I'm getting prepared to take my ASTB for OCS. Recruiters have told me i have very little chance of getting a pilot or NFO slot...even if i do extremely well on the test. What do you think my chances are...roughly...?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right now I am afraid they are pretty slim. If you want to do take the time preparing the app go for it. Work with your recruiter to make the very best of your strong points and try to explain the GPA situation Such as worked 30 hours a week, officer in frat, varsity sports, church volunteer just not "I partied too much". If you do get turned dowm then be right back on your recruiter's door step when you can reapply. The situation does change. It may not look good now, but it may later, and it will look good that you have stayed true to your goal of flying in the Navy. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.